The William cooktop

Page 1 of 2

As there are quite a few woodworkers here involved with kitchens, here's a new toy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wBe3SDCcz8

On Sat, 28 Aug 2010 17:43:29 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

FINALLY: Something which will cost -more- than a Festeringtool! (but less than a Pagani Zonda)
-- If we attend continually and promptly to the little that we can do, we shall ere long be surprised to find how little remains that we cannot do. -- Samuel Butler

Left me with more questions than answers. Though for that commercial, they should have spent another $5 and at least finished the top of the cabinets. (Hint: Look at the top of the cabinet under the cook-top.)
Allen

Pretty darn cool.
"Robatoy" wrote:

----------------------------- Wonder how do you burn pepper skins?
Lew
On 8/29/2010 10:20 AM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

We like to crisp up tortillas for our fajitas over an open flame by plopping them onto a grate over one of the burners on our gas stove and moving them around and flipping them with a pair of tongs.
--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.

I use a Benzomatic hand held burner on a hose off a slightly fatter tankette of butane. I hit the pepper from all angles, quickly and evenly. The meat of the pepper doesn't even stand a chance to warm up much. You can tell when the skin is burnt when it stops crackling. The burnt skin rinses off under the tap (which is turned ON...I mention this specifically as there always a few who take issue with justabout anything in here) sometimes a potato-cleaning brush makes it go quicker. I have one of those in my pan drawer specifically for that purpose. Been doing this for years and years, thousands of peppers. http://www.bernzomatic.com/products/kits/torch-kits.aspx?prodid=TS8000BZKC
The pepper then gets sliced into slabettes and quickly/lightly sauted in some hot olive oil and put on home-made bread with some course salt sprinkled on the peppers. Who needs meat? (Okay, *I* do.)
Robatoy wrote:

Good idea! I bet that would work for removing pin feathers from chickens or toasting marshmallows.
On 8/29/2010 11:20 AM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Propane torch of course.

I like the idea, especially since it doesn't require me to buy new cookware such as an induction system. Maar, potjandorie, Rob!! Where is there more info than the Youtube video? Such as how much and where to buy?
--
Best regards
Han
On 8/29/2010 10:18 AM, Han wrote:

It appears "concept only" at this stage of the game.
Although no self respecting coonass would cook on an electric stove, that one did pique my interest.
After all, we do like cooking gadgets, and that appears to the Mother of them ALL. ;)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 8/29/2010 10:29 AM, Swingman wrote:

How about a similar concept, but with a honeycomb of little gas burners? Probably be a BITCH to clean though...
--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.

Gas burners are self cleaning ...
--
Best regards
Han
"Swingman" wrote:

---------------------
Same with this buckeye.
Lew

Same with this Canuck.

Niet zo ongeduldig! Wait 5 years and they will go the way of plasma TV. The pricing is up against that phenomenon called: "Screw that, too rich for my blood, a $ 500.00 unit looks just as nice and when do WE ever need 21 different pots and pans." Or this old chestnut: "Too much can go wrong." Once the tooling matrixes and silkscreens are paid for (no biggie IME) they have to be able to sell them. I expect an expensive, but short, honeymoon, then a serious price drop IF the thing even gets out of the gate. You can charge only SO much for 'cool' for only SO long. My guess? $ 3500.00 initially.
On 8/29/2010 10:31 AM, Robatoy wrote:

Agreed ... but lot's folks don't seem to blink at $3.5k these days for a cooktop. Current kitchen job has a 48" Capital gas range being installed that is twice that.
(I was tempted to send them the video last night to see it "The William" might be of interest in lieu of the Capital ... I just want to play with it.) ;)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

The range we're looking at is a bit over $2500 but it'll cost around $1000 to get gas to it (the propane tank is on the opposite end of the house). We're debating whether it's worth it, or just stay with an electric range, also $2500. $3500 isn't out of sight, though I'd be afraid of its reliability around lightning.

Go for it, Karl!!
--
Best regards
Han
On 8/29/2010 11:43 AM, Han wrote:

LOL ... it was tempting. But, there have been too many changes on this job already (there is a high dollar "designer" who's whims must be appeased, despite the impossibility thereof), and the range is purchased.
AAMOF, I'm picking up the vent liner and motor blower on Monday in preparation for building the vent hood cabinet, which is going to be a PITA ... I HATE the idea of building a frameless Euro style cabinet enclosing that kind of baggage, but it's all the rage, donchaknow!
It's always something ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010