The vaunted JDS Dust-Force is so far a Dust Farce

Just picked it up from Woodcraft today, and it runs great!

The wrong way.

That's right...it can blow a metric butt ton of air out its two 4" inlets.

On top of that, it is advertised as running at 77 db. Everywhere except the owners maunal, where it is rated at at 87 db. And trust me, it sounds like all of 87 db.

On top of that, it is advertised everywhere, including on the JDS website, as drawing 12" of static pressure. That seemed incredible, but hey...who am I to say?

It is properly rated (in the owner's manual) at 7.8" of static pressure, which is on par with all the other 1.5 hp machines.

Be aware, too, that this unit is made in Taiwan.

My take so far: pass on JDS. I wonder what the real specs on my American-made JDS 750ER are...

Reply to
wood_newbie

you neeed to call JDS and discuss your problems with them Call and ask for John. I know the owner of JDS and he is a honest trustworthy man. If you are having a problem he will take care of it.

Mike

Reply to
aswr

Just me, or is anyone else baffled by this? It's a radial blower. Even if the motor is running in reverse, centrifugal force is still centrifugal force, right? Is this a southern hemisphere thing?

Reply to
kkfitzge

Yeeeeaaahhhhh...

I have to admit...it baffled me too. Even with my incredibly limited knowledge of electricity, I started wondering how a single-phase motor could even be made to spin the wrong way.

When I woke up, I realized my mistake. They "pre-assembled" the inlet fitting onto the outlet side of the dust collector to save room in the shipping box. That was a, ummmmm...that was an easy fix.

I've got a call in to the gentleman referenced above, and we've swapped messages once already. I'm interested to hear his take on the advertised vs. actual specs.

Reply to
wood_newbie

Hhhmmmmmmmmmm. When all else fails, read the directions?

Reply to
Norman D. Crow

We don't need no steenking directions.

As a proud male, I would rather circumnavigate the earth three times rather than stop to ask for directions. Why should it be any different for putting together a piece of machinery?

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" wrote in news:tPXMe.134127$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.southeast.rr.com:

Because of the really lasting stench of burning wood when you put the blade on backwards? ;-) And Dad was watching? :-0

Reply to
Patriarch

Umm ... because being lost probably won't cost you three of your fingers just for flicking the switch?

I read the instructions (usually). That's where they hide the clues and I hate being clueless.

Bill

Reply to
Obfuscated