The U.S. Government Is Trying To Take Away Your Pocket Knives!

Prosecution of those protecting themselves is relatively small and you know it. It only sounds bigger because everybody hears about it almost instantly.

Anyway, there's a lot more to consider when talking about such increases. Population density has increased greatly, the lower income segment of the population has increased as have many other things in this day and age. There's never been a bigger divide between the rich and the poor and it's increasing. You can't really compare statistics tit for tat with what was going on forty years ago. It's a different time, a different age and much of it is a different mindset. We hear about all sorts of things these days that we'd never have heard thirty years ago.

As an example, look at what's coming out of Iran. Do you think we'd have heard any of it if global communications were not as widespread as they are today? Without the world watching, I'd wager that Iran's government would have killed quite a few more protestors than it already has. It *is* a different time and things change because of it.

Reply to
Upscale

Mark & Juanita wrote in news:OM6dnQ61pJm6TqTXnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@supernews.com:

Now why would senators and other government employees be happy to be covered by a US health plan?

OTOH, The VA health coverage is by far not as good as that of NY Ciy Medical schools for their employees ...

Reply to
Han

Because somebody else is paying for it?

Reply to
J. Clarke

"J. Clarke" wrote in news:h1d8ge09v0 @news6.newsguy.com:

I think senators earn enough to afford something that suits them, so being cheap does not have to motivate them in this.

Reply to
Han

Given how cheaply Senators can be bought (look at the latest Dodd scandal -- he cashed in on inside information to the tune of $115k or so), I would say that politicians tend to view having to spend their own money for anything to be an abomination, especially when they can figure out a way to get someone else to pay.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

WdnRFn8qfKN67XnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

i am so happy to be in the land of fruits and nuts, seeing as the muck I arose from!

mk5000

"Generations have trod, have trod, have trod All all is smeared with trade, bleared, seared with toil And wear's man's smudge, and shares man's smell Nor can foot feel, being shod And for all this, nature is never spent There lives the dearest freshness deep down things"--hopkins

Reply to
marika

You can be sure the bastards won't be around to threaten again.

Reply to
Charlie Self