The U.S. Government Is Trying To Take Away Your Pocket Knives!

Page 1 of 8
Make of this what you will... I thought it was interesting!
What's in your pocket? What's in your shop?
U.S. Customs has proposed revoking earlier rulings that assisted opening knives are not switchblades. The proposal would not only outlaw assisted opening knives, its overly broad new definition of a switchblade would also include all one-handed opening knives and most other pocket knives... Seems that our utility knives and other knife tools are covered under this too.
"It is now CBP's position that knives incorporating spring- and release-assisted opening mechanisms are prohibited..." from http://www.kniferights.org/U%20S%20Customs%20Proposed%20Ruling%20-%20Assisted%20Opening%20Knives.pdf
I found this stuff mentioned in a gun rights e-mail and followed the path to http://www.kniferights.org /
John

Entering my place of work (VA Hospital) requires me to show ID and send my briefcase or backpack through the Xray machine. If I leave my Swiss Army-type knife in there I get a hard time. As an employee I go through a minimally active magnetometer, so my pants pocket is the obvious alternative. It's nonsense, because I have many sharp or otherwise potentially hazardous things in my lab, but them's the rules. They do make some sense, considering the large quantity of confiscated bad things I have seen in the police office. Also, I was amazed at what I have seen, such as the visitor who put the thing that set off the magnetometer in the little bypass tray meant for watches, coins, phones etc. He was told that he couldn't bring this thing into the hospital. Either leave it outside somewhere or with someone, or don't go in. It was a set of heavy duty brass knuckles!!!
Oh yeah, many years ago, before these measures were implemented, an upset diabetes patient took a handgun into the hospital, and killed his treating physician, one of the most gentle people in the whole hospital.
When Prince Harry visited a few weeks back, there was indeed increased security ...
--
Best regards
Han

And these are the people we are going to entrust with our health care.

I'd guess many of those officials are chosen because of their rigidity or lack of imagination or smarts or a combination of all three. Or maybe, it's fear of being punished for thinking for themselves prevents a more realistic scenario.

Different group of people and certainly a different mindset. Don't know too much about US healthcare other than I'm led to believe you need bucketloads of money or have been investing in insurance for a long time to really benefit from it.
I'm sure someone will crucify me for saying that, but what the hell.
wrote in message

FTMP the same zombies who worked airport security for Wackenhut now work for TSA. If we go to a government insurance program, the private insurance industry will shed their dead wood.

You need to be gainfully employed at something other than a minimum wage job.

Upscale wrote:

Yep, the *next* great government program is always going to be better and use smarter people. Sad thing is that too many stupid people actually believe that.

wrote in message

Now why would senators and other government employees be happy to be covered by a US health plan?
OTOH, The VA health coverage is by far not as good as that of NY Ciy Medical schools for their employees ...
--
Best regards
Han
Han wrote:

Because somebody else is paying for it?

I think senators earn enough to afford something that suits them, so being cheap does not have to motivate them in this.
--
Best regards
Han
Han wrote:

Given how cheaply Senators can be bought (look at the latest Dodd scandal -- he cashed in on inside information to the tune of $115k or so), I would say that politicians tend to view having to spend their own money for anything to be an abomination, especially when they can figure out a way to get someone else to pay.

i am so happy to be in the land of fruits and nuts, seeing as the muck I arose from!
mk5000
"Generations have trod, have trod, have trod All all is smeared with trade, bleared, seared with toil And wear's man's smudge, and shares man's smell Nor can foot feel, being shod And for all this, nature is never spent There lives the dearest freshness deep down things"--hopkins
face=Arial size=2>...</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>&gt; Make of this what you will... I thought it was interesting!<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; What's in your pocket? What's in your shop?<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; U.S. Customs has proposed revoking earlier rulings that assisted opening <BR>&gt; knives are not switchblades. The proposal would not only outlaw assisted <BR>&gt; opening knives, its overly broad new definition of a switchblade would also <BR>&gt; include all one-handed opening knives and most other pocket knives... Seems <BR>&gt; that our utility knives and other knife tools are covered under this too.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; "It is now CBP's position that knives incorporating spring- and <BR>&gt; release-assisted opening mechanisms are prohibited..."&nbsp; from <BR>&gt; </FONT><A href="http://www.kniferights.org/U%20S%20Customs%20Proposed%20Ruling%20-%20Assisted%20Opening%20Knives.pdf "><FONT face=Arial size=2>http://www.kniferights.org/U%20S%20Customs%20Proposed%20Ruling%20-%20Assisted%20Opening%20Knives.pdf </FONT></A><BR><FONT face=Arial size=2>&gt; <BR>&gt; I found this stuff mentioned in a gun rights e-mail and followed the path to <BR>&gt; </FONT><A href="http://www.kniferights.org /"><FONT face=Arial size=2>http://www.kniferights.org /</FONT></A><BR><FONT face=Arial size=2>&gt; <BR>&gt; John<BR>&gt;&nbsp;</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>John,</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>That's a 63 page document that I don't have time to read thoroughly right now but a quick brief shows that you left out the word "imported" in your haste to spread the news.&nbsp; After looking at some of the imported knives being denied entry into the US, I would agree that those I did read about are not general utility knives and certainly do fall into the category of a weapon..&nbsp; </FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>They define "switchblade"&nbsp;and the reasoning behind the ruling.&nbsp; What part&nbsp;is making my pocket knives illegal? </FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>There are people out there that would insist that a fully automatic weapon is a necessary hunting gun - right up until they have been shot at by one. </FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Bob S.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML> ------=
Bob S. wrote:

Can you quote any of them? I've followed the arguments of the gun-rights crowd somewhat, and I don't recall seeing anyone insist that they need full-auto weapons for hunting. I'd be interested in knowing where I could find statements from people that they need machine guns for hunting, got any links handy?

crickets ...
DGDevin wrote:

Just today:
"[FREETOWN, Sierra Leone] 'We have forced water into the building and some of the snakes trying to escape were shot by our men carrying AK-47s...About 250 of the estimated 400 snakes who had made the [police] station their home have been killed."
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090613/od_nm/us_snakes
HeyBub wrote:

Huh? Once again you have found no statement that people need machine guns for hunting, all that you have found is that some cops in Sierra Leone used their issue AK-47s to shoot snakes. What would you have had them do, waste time and money going off and obtaining more politically correct firearms for that one incident when the ones they were issued would do the job just fine?
J. Clarke wrote:

Your point is well-taken, but we don't know whether they tried shotguns, nets, or most any other devices. We do know they tried snake-charmers with poor results. It could be, as you suggest, they simply used what's at hand. Or maybe they tried tear gas or pepper-spray, rock music, pictures of Madonna, prayer, fasting, and a call to the White House, but the only thing that sort-of worked was a machine gun.
I thought you were asking for a civilian use for a machine gun and, since I happened to see this article today, thought it might satisfy your requirements.
HeyBub wrote:

Are police in Sierra Leone issued shotguns, nets, or most other devices?

You have clearly misunderstood the whole conversation then, as the point about machine guns was that someone asserted in a disparaging manner that someone else had asserted that they were _needed_ for hunting.
Give it a friggin break... Jeessus. You want to use an automatic weapon for hunting rabbits..go do it. My point being it is idiotic and you seem to want to argue any point no matter what. No thanks.
Bob S. wrote:

Awhile back your point was that there are people out there who insist that fully-automatic weapons are needed for hunting. While you are free to believe that it doesn't appear to be a position where you can point to supporting references. If merely asking you to support your claim amounts to arguing about any point no matter what, okay, I guess we know now that you never meant to be taken seriously.