The trials of buying at Sears

Page 2 of 2
On Sat, 08 Nov 2003 12:13:54 -0500, Silvan

What do you mean 'do a rotating inventory'?

Are you talking about taking a physical inventory? This HAS to be done by all corporations on a regular basis.

At the very least, a physical inventory count...which is used to adjust what is on the books...is mandated annually. Most companies do it monthly...some more often.

Yes...that's true. Its been a known fact for a long time.
Have a nice week...
Trent
Trent wrote:

Hmmm... Maybe I should have said "revolving" instead of "rotating." Anyway...

Not at this place. No *watchful* scrutiny anyway. Want proof? Ask me about the time I accidentally ordered 7,000 lamps for a promo (instead of 700), and got them, and got them, and got them, and got them. :) As easy as pushing a button.

Not at all. I know people working for similar outfits that suffer the same sort of problem.

Not at this place. I worked there for at least five inventories, and there were never any ropes. We pre-counted the stock room, the tippy top shelves, and certain really awkward things like bins full of film, but it was a total free-for-all in terms of the customers' having the ability to completely screw things up. They always did, too, but we usually made inventory anyway. (<unprovable allegation> Because the store manager padded it...</unprovable allegation>)

It's happening all around you. Everywhere except Vermont, I think. Or Maine.

Probably working on his PhD thesis so he can get promoted to a senior mail clerk. LOL!

Not me. Not really. I totally missed out on the whole party concept, since I lived with my parents, and my parents were very strict.
Oh blah blah blah, do I want some cheese with that whine? I'm not even going to get into it all. I don't need to wallow in self pity, because I don't really have anything to regret except for growing up with the stupid idea that I shouldn't have to work for a living. My family has worked for a living going back hundreds of years, so why should I be Mr. Suit and Tie?
Fact is, I don't really *like* those namby pamby guys who don't know what a wrench is for, who have to pay plumbers and electricians and auto mechanics and carpenters to come in and solve all of life's little problems for them because they don't have a clue how anything works. I never saw myself that way when I was a kid too lazy to learn how to change his own damn oil, but I kinda like how I turned out. Poverty was the motivating force, but being a tool user is its own reward.
Wrench turning will be the first thing to go when I have money though. I can fix and maintain my car, but there's no joy in it. I'm not a car guy. I saw some guy with a four car garage, and he had CARS in it. CARS in a garage! All he had were air tools and wrenches and stuff, and cars all over the place. One little crappy table saw in the corner. Probably used somehow for cutting car parts. Such an incredible waste.
On 08 Nov 2003 15:30:03 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

It's simple really. All retail outlets are required to do a full store inventory once per year, but nothing stops them from correcting their on-hand any number of times during a year. If you don't have your computerized ordering system set to reorder only when you are completely out, but say at 12 units, depending on the speed of sales on that item, when they arrive, you should have some still on the shelf, and whoever you have putting them out should be able to look at the reported stock, look at the actual stock, and find out if they are more or less accurate.
I would be guessing, but I'd bet that a goodly number of insurance companies are likely to have those figures, at least as far as 'trends' go.
Along that same line, we have a multi-state corporate grocery chain that took over a well run, family grocery enterprise a couple of years back. The new guys can run out of Campbell's Cream of Mushroom Soup ... Now that is NOT easy to do, but they manage somehow.
To parody your old employer, "When I think of 'out of stock', I think of 'p*ss poor management'"
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/21/03

No store that I've ever been to sells Jet or Delta at MSRP. But Sears does sell their stuff at the equivalent of MSRP and then puts them on sale at 50% off a few weeks later. If you need something immediately, you get to pay full price. Then you get the privilege of watching for a sale over the next 30 days, standing in line, then getting a price match. All that work, for what? This is why I stay away from Sears.

You can often get some really good prices from Sears. You seldom get any good prices from the Borg.
And selection...?
I was KINDA window shopping today...for a 1/3 sheet sander with dust collector. Sears had 7 in stock...2 was theirs. I decided not to buy one today...because I know they do go on sale once a month or so. And I really didn't need one today. All I really needed was some 220 paper for the one I have (which is a Sears BTW)....and some linseed oil.
I decided to get the linseed oil at Home Depot...'cause I had some left over at home and HD is where I bought it. I wanted to make sure it was the same brand. So, I figured I might as well buy everything at the Borg...so I put the paper back.
Got to HD...just across the street...
One 1/3 sheet sander in the whole place...B&B...with no dust collector. And NO 220 paper...can you believe it! lol 2 big boxes of 100...and 2 big boxes of 150...but NO 220!
So...went back across the street and bought the 220. And the clerk said, 'Back again so soon?' They always greet you as you walk in the door.
Every store isn't for everybody. But I find Sears a very nice place to shop...with really nice prices often.
And, yes...I like most of their stuff...including their power tools!
Have a nice week...
Trent

I absolutely agree about Sears Canada's pricing. However, they do occasionally hire someone who knows their hole from an ass on the ground.
When we moved in here 2.5 years ago I needed a new furnace. Went to Sears for the financing (sero percent with a "finance fee" that worked out to about 1.5%). The salesman showed me what they had (pricing in line with everyone else I'd looked at) and when I joking said "Haven't you got one somebody dropped off a forklift?" he turned and pointed to exactly the furnace I wanted. It was sitting in the back corner with a couple of creases in the sheet metal. He gave me a terrific discount (40%) due to some cosmetic damage. His line was "most people want it to look brand new, but a furnace isn't exactly a show piece in your home."
About a year later I was shopping for a built-in vac. Different rep, same store, showed me what they had then told me the unit I was interested in was going on sale in 10 days, and gave me the sale price then and there.
I do have a few Sears tools, but I'd never buy them between sales.
djb
--
There are no socks in my email address.

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
John,
This is precisely the type of situation that store managers and the upper management folk need to hear about. Write a polite letter to corporate detailing what happened; give names and dates. Express dissatisfaction with the lack of training, professionalism, courtesy that you were shown. Send it off and send a copy to the store manager. Let him/her know that it was sent to corporate.

it) said, I'll get some bulbs for my Mag-light flashlight. They sell the flashlights, Looking on the rack for the bulbs, They have the ones for the 1 AAA flashlight, The little key chain one.Get the guy over there,Show him the flashlight in my hand, (one of theres) He looks, Says "we dont cary them"Put the flashlight back on the rack, he says don't you want it. I said I have 6 of them at home, I'm looking for BULBS. Ask this woman there Why they don't carry them, they sell the flashlights, she says "we just dont"., If you open the end there is a spare in there. Told here I know all about that, was looking for bulbs for the ones at home. Ask the mananager, can they start to cary them, he says "we don't have control over that. I told him They sell the flashlight, but I cant get bulbs for it?, Tells me I can order from sears parts. (Please Give me a break) Ask for a customer service number.,Call the number, no longer a good number, transfers me, the lady's voice mail says "she no longer works for sears" Seems like anytime I go to sears anymore, I just end up pissed off.
Thanks, Tony D.