The Towers bedroom project, Completed!

Page 3 of 4
On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 00:41:02 -0500, the infamous "Leon"

All it'll cost you is some extra doors, an exterior garage door, and a different HVAC unit and sub-panel for the new shop area.
Oh, and some QuietRock paneling, to keep the shop noise out of the house.
-- If we attend continually and promptly to the little that we can do, we shall ere long be surprised to find how little remains that we cannot do. -- Samuel Butler

Mighty fine piece of work there, Leon. Congrats on a great job.
Max
Truly awesome.
Bill

Thank you Bill
Thank you Max

Leon wrote:

You just made my Murphy bed project look easy!
Keep plugging
- Doug

Well it did take a while but it was really pretty straight forward, just lots of details.
Thank you Doug,

Gorgeous!! You should be very proud of this one!
Gorgeous!! You should be very proud of this one!
Thank you Brian, it's a keeper... Too darn hard to take out of the room. ;~) I just wish the room was big enough to take decent shots.
On 3/19/2010 9:37 AM, Leon wrote:

Looks good - I especially like the headboard/footboard styles.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Thank you Morris. As a side, I priced 4x4 oak. IIRC around $600 for the posts. No thanks. I ended up building plywood posts, hollow in the center and cutting 3/16" thick oak veneer to glue around the perimeters. I saved about $550 doing them that way. ;~)
Oh and BTY!!!! I used my Kerf Maker to make the muntins on the upper panels on the foot and head boards. All half lap jointery. First try, perfect fit.
On 3/19/2010 9:33 PM, Leon wrote:

I wouldn't have guessed from looking at the photos. I'm not sure you should tell people about that. :-D

Gotta love a tool that works this well. You might need to think about applying that savings toward the JM-1. ;-)
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

If by any chance you loooked through the other pictures I have on Flickr, you may have noticed what I refer to as "toad stools" the post finals/capitols. They are on a 2x2x8 which slides down inside the hollow bed posts. Handy for removal when flipping the mattress and a simple solution for attachment. ;~)

I used it again on the light bridge, I neded to cut an 8' long dado to receive the plywood top. Again, first try was perfect and beat setting up for 1 dado.

I'm guessing your Domino contribute significantly in the building of the entire project. I wonder how much increased building time would have been needed if you'd had to build it entirely out of tenon and mortise construction.

Lots of Domino's in the towers 100+, about 40 on the bed and 4 in the light bridge. The Domino was a real time saver and the accuracy was key on the towers. Several Domino's in half of the tower outer panels, and 32 Domino's to join the fixed shelves and 4 outer panels on each tower. I used stub ttnnons on the panels that had framed panels.

Leon,
Looks great. I will avoid showing my wife these photos just yet. I made the mistake of showing her Swingman's dining table so that will be my next big project.
Again, great work!!
Steve
WOW, Leon! Very nicely done!
I think I like the detailing on the project the best. I like the lines and patterns on the foot board and the drawers and doors. Just enough detail to make it look really classy.
I am liking less complicated designs these days, and those look just about perfect to my eye. Like I said, just enough to make it look great.
I caught your comment on making the posts from plywood and veneering them. Excellent.
Like the others that have mentioned it, I am NOT going to let Kathy see this pics!
Robert
Thank you Robert!

You know,,,;~) here comes a life long dream story. When I was younger, probably in my early 20's, I had a reoccouring dream. I lived in a large house with a stair case that was on the outer walls. The stair case was lined with book cases on the landings that also served as "stair case dirrection changers"? The wood work was probably walnut and had lots of details. It was the kind of stair case that resembled a hall way and had lots of things to catch your attention. Basically the stair case "was" the destination, I never made it to the top in my dreams.
I have always dreamed of having that house...HA! Well my wife are still in our starter home that we were only going to stay in for 4 or 5 years, 29 years ago. Oddly the house still works for us and I decided to make our small bed room into my "destination".
I will confess that I got the head and foot board idea from an Amish furniture store. Their bed had the muntins in the upper panels similar to my bed. Because the bed was in an Amish store, and as you may very well know, you are not allowed to take pictures. I had to make a mental image and everything evolved from there. The lower bed storage drawers, towers, and light bridge are all of my own design. I think the light bridge is the what makes me think back to my old dream with that old fashoned look. Laying under the bridge and looking up you see things that you don't normally see from the angle that my pictures show. I still look inside the tower cubbys and wonder how all the inside details came out astetically pleasing. Basically the in sides look like the out sides. While I phisically did all the work with out help except to cut a large panel and now and then I truely had a higher power standing by my side all the way through. I am still not sure how I was able to build the 8 side panels of the towers with 64 pre mortised Domino holes for 8 fixed shelves on 8 different planes for both towers and it all come together perfectly, first try.
Now if I can just figure out how and find the time to move that picture that is half covered by "Kim's tower", ;~)

Thank you again Robert.

Cutting veneer with my Laguna BS is fun, you get what you expect. I discovered however that 3/16" veneer, I used this thickness to reface a neighbors kitchen cabinets in 2008, is pretty much like working with normal wood. It is less likely to be a problem in the corners and is thick enough to take a whack. It does not immediately curl when you apply glue and can be "pinned" to prevent movement while clamping.

Aw come on Robert! LOL

Thank you Steve. Go ahead and show your wife, dangle that carrot out there.

Steve's not thinking far enough ahead. There's wife approved significant new tool purchase attached to building one of these.