The Towers bedroom project, Completed!

Page 2 of 4
On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 14:50:16 -0500, the infamous Swingman

Holy Shit, Batman! I just went to the CutlistPlus.com site and saw the prices. For only $500, you can have a program tell you how to cut a freakin' sheet of plywood? Or only $250 for a lesser program? And $90 for the rock-bottom software? How do they get that? (Cutlist used to be free.) I guess it helps to be working with tons of ply daily.

Cool. I can see where the pricing tool is worth its cost. There sure aren't many extra features per upgrade step, are there? I'd guess that cabinetmakers would pretty much be the sole target market for the Gold edition and cabinet manufacturers the sole target for the Platinum edition.

Grok that. But if margins are that low, shouldn't you be trying to get more custom work, Swingy? Hang out on the corner of McMansion and Main with a sign "Will Do Custom Cabinetry for Food" sign, eh?
-- If we attend continually and promptly to the little that we can do, we shall ere long be surprised to find how little remains that we cannot do. -- Samuel Butler
scrawled the following:

I have been using CLP for quite a while IIRC 10+ years and do not ever recall the program being free with the exception of a very limited evaluation version. $500 gets you much more than a program that shows you how to cut a sheet of plywood. To name a few perks the program provides, it will track and releive your inventory of materials and produce several reports with information concerning cost, mark up, tax, etc.
How do they charge those prices? On my Tower Bed Room project alone I probably saved 3~4 days of planning on lay out of materials out of my particular inventory of materials and their odd sizes. That alone paid for the program. Then consider the reduction of wase in materials when a project like my Towers Bedroom project which had probably 50 different sizes of parts totaling in excess of 300 pieces on the towers alone.

True, there are not many extra perks to the higher priced versions for the common hibbiest other than the ability to use more part pieces and sizes. It can be a real bummer to need to enter 4 or 5 extra parts once you have hit a particular program versions limit.

Can't do that in West U. ;~) It would be frowned upon.
On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 10:12:18 -0500, the infamous "Leon"

I did say "Cutlist" rather than "Plus", Leon.

I figured that it did, but I wanted to be ironic. ;)

Very cool! But then, how many people build bedroom sets which will seat 32,146 at a time?

Which version do you have, Leon?

Vas ist das "hibbiest", mein herr? Oh, you meant "hobbyist", dincha?

Yeah, I think I did that once and came unglued over it.

Yabbut, it was a fun thought, eh? I got this email eons ago:
---------------------------------- | W I L L W O R K F O R F O O D | | F R A N C H I S E S | | | | STILL AVAILABLE!!!!!! | ----------------------------------
YES! Make BIG $$$ (Tax FREE!!!)
With Your Very Own
"WILL WORK FOR FOOD" Franchise
We Supply:
* The Cardboard Sign
* The Prime Location
* The Thrift Clothing
* A Special 90-minute Instructional Tape Entitlted "How To Look Homeless"
Say Goodbye to that Dead-End Job.
Call Today! Operators are standing by.
CALL 1-800-RIP-U-OFF
Now, until the end of the month, as a bonus, we will include a wooden crutch, just in case some jerk actually asks you to do some work.
We Consider AOL/WebTV Members PRE TRAINED so act NOW and get an additional 5% OFF!!!
-- If we attend continually and promptly to the little that we can do, we shall ere long be surprised to find how little remains that we cannot do. -- Samuel Butler
scrawled the following:

That you did. BUT! Cutlist is still free. Cutlist, is not the same program as Cutlist Plus. I have been using Cutlist Plus for about 10+ years, I only recently discovered Cutlist, the plugin.

I suspect that if you have the capability you may very well build the larger projects. I have built many large projects in the past, several kitchens, however not that many large projects that I was not being paid for. The bedroom project took little of my time in planing and optimizing with both Cutlist.* programs and Sketchup. Lets just say with the combination of the 3 programs listed above there is organization and order, and much less intimidation to actually do the project. Most of us remark that we would like to build something of a certain magnitude if we only had the courage.

I use Cutlist 4.0 as the Sketchup plugin and I am vurrently using Cutlist Plus Gold Edition 2009.5.5

Yeah. uh huh.

Yup! a reeeeeel pisser. ;~)

;!)
scrawled the following:

...you'll be too busy "retiring" to do much woodworking, too. I keep hearing that from retirees. ;)
-- If we attend continually and promptly to the little that we can do, we shall ere long be surprised to find how little remains that we cannot do. -- Samuel Butler
On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 13:02:59 -0500, the infamous Upscale

Excellent idea, Uppy. Go for it, Leon.
-- If we attend continually and promptly to the little that we can do, we shall ere long be surprised to find how little remains that we cannot do. -- Samuel Butler
"Robatoy" wrote
Excellent! I wasn't sure about the design before, but now that I see it all as a whole it resonates with me. I will make sure NOT to show this to Angela. <G>
Smart move.
It would be an incredible amount of work (and expense) to make such a project out of granite. :-)
On 3/19/2010 9:37 AM, Leon wrote:

Mighty magnificent, as usual, Leon!
When you get mine finished, bring it on over and I'll see if Linda will help you unload it.
;)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

No kiddd'n.
Thank you, again.
On 3/19/2010 10:37 AM, Leon wrote:

Fantastic workmanship!!!!!! Sure wish I had the guts to tackle something of this magnitude.

;~) Me too. Had I not designed it with Sketchup it may not have ever gotyen off the ground. I had no concept of the project in July of last year. Starting in October and finishing sometime in November of last year the towers were complete, December 1, the bed platform, foot and head boards were complete in time for the new king sized bed. Through January I built the 18 drawers for the under bed storage and made the 8 cherry muntins, all with half lap jointery, to fit inside the upper panel openings in the head and foot boards. With a hardship in the family it took me several more weeks to complete the light bridge.
THANK YOU.

Well, once it's designed in Sketchup, then you're obligated to build it. It also occurs to me should you start selling the plans, it shouldn't be too difficult to offer optional widths of the light bridge depending on the width of the bed a customer has.
I also thought for those people who are space constricted, it shouldn't be too difficult to insert a full size roll up film screen in the light bridge. Hell, I can think of a dozen different options one could use your tower setup for.

...I LOVE the bed design! Very cool...
cg

Thank you!
"Leon" wrote:

That's some boudoir young man.
Enjoy.
Lew

You reck'in? Actually I plan on building a matching armoire/dresser. Something to replace the dresser I built a few months before moving into our new home 29 years ago. ;~)
Havnot designe "that" yet.
Thank you Lew.
On 3/19/10 10:37 AM, Leon wrote:

justice.
;-)
--
Froz...

No Kidding!
We just cannot seem to talk ourselves into moving into a bigger house, especially since this one was paid off in 1997. My wife and almost pulled the trigger on a new home last weekend. We liked a 3087 sq foot new home... Price was very right, $121,999. I did not like the garage.
Actually with the addition of the light bridge between the towers the room looks bigger, believe that or not. ;~)
Thank you!
On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 15:38:22 -0500, the infamous "Leon"

Holy Shit, Batman. You could have taken several bedrooms (1,500 s/f) and turned them into the shop, Leon.

Of course it does. It makes it all one piece!
-- If we attend continually and promptly to the little that we can do, we shall ere long be surprised to find how little remains that we cannot do. -- Samuel Butler

Ah never really considered that. LOL