The Towers bedroom project, Completed!

Page 1 of 4
Well the Tower Bedroom project is completed. My wife will add curtains to the tower cubby openings and I will add a organizable storage unit in each of those storage areas. For all practical purposes the project is complete as designed.
Thanks for all the past comments and please have another look at the end results.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/4436686012/sizes/o /
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/4436685682/sizes/o /
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/4435911881/sizes/o /
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/4436685008/sizes/o /
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/4435910977/sizes/o /
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/4436679402/sizes/o/

answered that question. Where is the light switch? Are the lights dimmable?
I like the cubby holes.
Where is the beer cooler and big screen TV? ;-)
Looks good. I imagine the missus is very pleased.

There are two, 5 white light LED's ineach lamp and each lamp has its own dimmer. I built a swivel mount for each lamp so that they can be aimed at the towers for reflective light or straight down or towards the center of the bed. They will turn up in power to almost too much light. Each lamp halso has a rocker switch of on and off. I did however add a pull chain switch to the back side of the light bridge as a master switch on each side. I bought the lamps at Lowes.

They are very handy for hiding the clutter that normally shows up on the bed side table. Additionally the front side of the cubby actually opens, the muntin door, to expose more hard to reach areas in case you need to get in farther.

No beer cooler. ;~) There is however a 32" LCD TV mounted to the wall over the bedroom door. Our ceilings are 10' tall so it was an easy fit. I ran a 50' component cable from the HDDVR in the livingroom to the bedroom TV and use RF controllers so that we can watch TV and use the living room HD DVR.

Thank you! My wife is pleased. BTY she made the Nlack White and Red quilt that is pictured on the bed.

Nice job, both of you.
jc

Excellent! I wasn't sure about the design before, but now that I see it all as a whole it resonates with me. I will make sure NOT to show this to Angela. <G>

Excellent! I wasn't sure about the design before, but now that I see it all as a whole it resonates with me. I will make sure NOT to show this to Angela. <G>
Thank you Sir! I can admit that the early tower pictures looked like a design that was incomplete. Basically they looked unfinished until I added the top caps to integrate with the light bridge. Because I only recently finished the light bridge design I was not sure how the towers would be finished off. That was part of the plan. LOL

You realize of course that you should sell these plans as a complete package. I figure $25 for the full set should suffice. Either market them yourself or put them out on a few dozen woodworking tool such as Lee Valley Tools.
Should pay for a few toys and regular trips down to the Bahamas.

Hummmmm I may revisit that. Years a go when I was doing 2D drawings I considered doing that but with 2D there was too much chance of error. With 3D Sketchup, an error is a glaring sore thumb and easy to correct. I totally depended on my drawings with few dimensions. Cutlist 5.0 and Cutlist Plus pretty much told me how to cut the pieces.

Yes!! I'd like a set ...
--
Best regards
Han

Promise not to distribut the plans and I will e-mail you the Sketchup drawing. Keep in mind that I have not proofed the plans but you can get a real good idea as to wow to build the project. You eill have to add your own dimensions.

I promise, and fully understand. Not ready for immediate implementation, but I love the designs!
You've got mail from my gmail address (I hope that removing "dot" was enough).
--
Best regards
Han

Thanks, Leon, I got it. Will look at it later. And I appreciate it very much. I will likely ask questions, since I am a rank amateur woodworker, and definitely an absolute newbie with SU (but I do have Cutlist).
--
Best regards
Han

Do you have Cutlist 4.0 the plug in for Sketchup or Cutlist Plus the stand alone optimization program?
I have both and use Cutlist 4.0 to import from Sketchup into Cutlist Plus.

I still spend far too much time on my job and not enough on my hobbies. I believe I have those Cutlist things (I know I paid some good money), but I confess that I don't (yet) use them to full effect. Retiring late this year and then ...
--
Best regards
Han

LOL. If you spent good money you most likely have Cutlist "Plus".
You want to search/Google for Cutlist 4.0. It is a "free" plugin for Sketchup and imports your data from Sketchup directly into Cutlist Plus. A real time saver and insures accuracy.

I seem to already have the plugin, but I had to upgrade and reactivate Cutlist. Now I have version 2006.6.5
--
Best regards
Han
On 3/21/2010 2:06 PM, Han wrote:

Mine's 2009.5.11
Two of my most useful woodworking tools ... hardly ever go into the shop these days without SU drawings of what I'm going to do, and a CutList Plus parts list and layout diagrams for cutting.
Also absolutely great for pricing jobs. I've routinely updated the materials database prices whenever I get a purchase invoice. Amazing how often my BOM estimates using CutList Plus are to the penny, including tax. I've have the Gold version and have been dead-on with the materials estimates on a some pretty large kitchens, including doors, drawers, and hardware, and months in advance.
Can't afford surprises with the operating margins these days and CLP has paid for itself many times over in that regard.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Eventually I'll look up what I miss with my version versus the next one. For now, I don't think I need to spend $249 (probably less as an upgrade, but still).
I can really see how this is just about a must for a professional!
--
Best regards
Han