The tire came off my B.S.

I was resawing a piece of maple that was 7" wide on my Jet 14" b.s. and all at once the bottom tire came off the wheel. I suppose there was heat build up that caused the tire to stretch. I didn't think I was cutting the maple too fast, but obviously I was. This was yesterday and I was able to purchase a new tire at the Cutting Edge for a nominal price. They advised me to put the new tire in a bowl of water and to nuke it in the microwave. I did and only needed one clamp to hold the tire while I stretched it onto the wheel. I was back up and resawing in less than 3 hours. It might be of interest to anyone that has to deal with this is that the bolt holding the wheel onto the shaft is a counter clock wise thread.

Reply to
Lowell Holmes

Hello Lowell, What was the composition of the tire that fell off? Was it urethane or neoprene? It sounds like your replacement tire was urethane based on the heating ritual to install it. How many "miles/kilometers" were on your original tires? Marc

Reply to
marc rosen

The saw is 2 years old, but it was new old stock. I think the old tire was neoprene, but I'm not sure. I think it was early failure, but I like the saw. I don't expect any more problems, but who knows? I don't know what the new tire is, I thought it was black neoprene.

Reply to
Lowell Holmes

You may also be interested in knowing that almost all screw fasteners and retainers loosen in the direction that the object that it is securing, normally spins.

Reply to
Leon

its an old trick so that when you load down a machine you actually apply force to the fastener to tighten it. if it were threaded the other way it would be gradually trying to loosen itself forever. IT might never succeed but if it does it wont be a nice scene as the bandaw konks out and possibly worse.

setting the thread backwards is a total prevention of that

Reply to
Brent

yep.. an obvious example would be a bench grinder..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Several years ago I did some work for a retired engineer. He showed me some brass nuts and bolts that to this day are hard to believe. The nuts and bolts were made one at a time and had a very special purpose. The bolt was screwed in and out of a threaded hole to apply more or less pressure. The bolt had to be adjusted periodically and had to be locked into position so that it would not move. Naturally it had 2 jam nuts on it to tighten down and prevent the bolt from turning until the 2 jam nuts were loosened. Not too hard to imagine so far, right? The problem with this set up is that there was only room for 1 wrench to fit. Typically jam nuts need 2 wrenches working in opposite directions to loosen or tighten. These "special" nuts and bolt worked differently. The 2 nuts loosened and moved away from each other on the bolt when turned in a counter clockwise direction. When turned clockwise the nuts moved towards each other. Think about that a while. ;~) The bolt had threads that were both left hand and right hand. One nut was left hand threaded and the other right hand threaded. The first nut had to be threaded and in position before the second nut could be tightened against it because, they had to be turned in opposite directions to thread them down the bolt. Weird.

Reply to
Leon

To ease the changing of the tire even more, get hold of a motorcycle tire iron or two. The ones I've seen on the market today are kind of rough, so expect to spend a half hour or so smoothing the edges, but then they do the same job as on a motorcycle tire, and speed the work...make it easier, too, IMO.

Reply to
Charlie Self