The size of angle iron used on Biesemeyer fence

Does anybody happen to know what the size of angle iron that Biesemeyer uses for the back portion of their fence.

Is it a standard size ?

Reply to
Pat Barber

My Jet Xacta back rail is 1.5" x 1.5" front is 2.5" x 2.5"

I'm sure they are standard angle iron sizes.. so yes, you could make your own :-)

Reply to
coloradotrout

I just when down to the shop and measured.

My Jet Exacta Deluxe Commercial fence (actually made by HTC) which is a Biesemeyer clone. The hardware sizes are as follow:

Back rail - 1.5" x 1.5" x 3/16" thick Front "L" rail (that the rectangular tubing attaches to) - 2.5" x 2.5" x

3/16" thick Front rectangular tubing - 2"h x 3"w x just shy of 1/8" thick
Reply to
Nova

Both angles are standard sizes. The rectangular tube sounds standard, too. The "just short of 1/8 inch" sounds like 11 gage, at 0.120".

Pete Stanaitis

----------------

Nova wrote:

Reply to
spaco

IIRC it really does not matter. It's sole purpose is to support the solid table extension that the fence slides on top of. The fence never comes in contact with that rail

Reply to
Leon

Here is the problem:

On my current saw, I built a giant outfeed and side table a few years back.

A year or two later I bought a Biesemeyer overhead guard.

That guard has a square bracket that is designed to "wrap" around the end corner of the right side table and bolt through the angle that is mounted on the back of the saw.

The problem is that I made that side table extra wide and the angle iron does not extend far enough over to the end of the table for me to bolt the guard on as it was designed.

I have the guard mounted currently with a few hand clamps, but that was a "temporary fix" that has been that way for 2-3 years at this point.

I want to "extend" the angle about 12" but I need to know what the thickness and size of that angle iron is. I believe it is a industry standard but they make a LOT of different sizes of angle, so I would prefer to know the correct size before I go shopping.

I believe that if I had the correct thickness, a piece of flat plate would work for this exercise.

Here is an older picture of the saw and the problem at the back of the saw on the side table.

Note the secti>> Does anybody happen to know what the size of angle iron

Reply to
Pat Barber

I didn't realize that I had a slightly more updated picture of the saw with the guard "installed" as I have it today.

You can barely see the clamps that are currently holding the guard to the table.

Pat Barber

>Two thoughts.

Can you cut away a part of the side table to attach the overhead gaurd? Will this allow you sufficient room to still use the side table?

If you go shopping for angle iron, can you bring the actual section that will bolt over it? If so, just bring it along and fit it to what will work. And if you find something that workes, you could mount this piece numerous ways. It doesn't necessicarily have to ?extend? the present angle iron. Just creat a solid base for it.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

The table isn't constructed in a fashion that would allow me to easily modify it for the guard. That side table is a basic torsion box.

I agree.. all I need is a piece just long enough to reach the end of the table BUT it needs to be exactly the same thickness as the Biesemeyer piece.

Extending the angle is the best possible solution.

Lee Michaels wrote:

Reply to
Pat Barber

Aaaaah OK. I can't help you with that one. Sorry.

Reply to
Leon

It would appear that the angle iron size is 2" x 2.50" x 3/16" but that's a number from another guy.

The Biesemeyer site was taken over by Delta a while back, so no way to call them and ask.

Le> Aaaaah OK. I can't help you with that one. Sorry.

Reply to
Pat Barber

Pat Barber wrote in news:Xpb2l.211637 $ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

Pat,

I just went and measured mine. The measurements are: 2.5" vertical, 2" horizontal and just a hair over 3/16" thick. The thickness without the gray powder coating was probably 3/16" exactly.

I hope this helps.

Steve

Reply to
Hammer Hands

That seems to be the number based on a couple folks measuring including me.

Thanks..

Hammer Hands wrote:

Reply to
Pat Barber