The shop dummy strikes again...

Page 2 of 2
On Thursday, July 25, 2013 12:26:06 AM UTC-5, Mike M wrote:

I have a present speech for these events that begins with: "How the $#$% did I do that?" I'm considering have that engraved on my tombstone.
Larry (Shit happens ... most days)
On Tuesday, July 23, 2013 4:29:30 PM UTC-5, Swingman wrote:

mIBNuvyQ/s1024/IMAGE_8.jpeg

I once had to cut an odd shaped piece to fit into some formica countertop w ith a rounded edge to go over a lazy susan thing in the corner. I cut out the shape I'd need in the countertop, then carefully made a pattern so that I could cut out a piece to fit in. After considerable time and effort, I found out I'd laid my pattern upside down and cut a mirror image. It fit p erfectly upside down...

Mirror images, BTDT, more than a few times ... example is this odd couple "marriage", the result of the pictured angled cabinet, originally designed to transition from a 24" wide cabinet run to a 12" cabinet run, which, due to a "duh" when the floor plan of the house being built was flipped after the kitchen was designed, was naturally the opposite/mirror image of what was required; and a transitioned to 12" wide cabinet from another kitchen, which turned out to be too long for the space because the framers moved the kitchen sink window 3" in the wrong direction due to an over sized RO, something the shop dummy failed to verify before the siding went on and building cabinets:
https://picasaweb.google.com/111355467778981859077/EWoodShopAMarriageOfConvenience20052011
He has actually been known to do that more than once, but finally learned to destroy the evidence, instead of enshrine it.
--
www.ewoodshop.com (Mobile)

On Thu, 01 Aug 2013 08:07:25 -0500, Swingman wrote:

Was once building a roll front night stand, took two tries to get the groove on the right hand panel on the inside.
Looking back it seems almost impossible to make that same mistake twice, but it happens.
Fortunately, the customer decided she wanted two of these stands and ended up only wasting one panel.
I must have been confused, being unable to figure out why anyone would want a roll front night stand. Looked like a bad idea at the time and ever since.
basilisk
On 8/1/2013 8:07 AM, Swingman wrote:

OK, hope this makes you feel better, ;~)
On Monday I pulled out the Rotex to sand the "fresh out of the clamps" face frames. I sanded an entire side of a face frame and was not really pleased at the results. I thought that the paper was getting old so I checked. NO SAND PAPER AT ALL on the sander.
It is a bitch when you don't get dust when sanding! :~)
On 8/1/2013 11:33 AM, Leon wrote:

The curse of Festool ...
LOL ... it would have made the shop dummy feel better, if he hadn't done that himself.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

That would be a good book title.
Too bad it's trademarked.

Think of all the money you will save on sandpaper! LOL

Had something comparable awhile ago with an electric drill. I was drilling a hole in the underside of my desk to run some wire. I couldn't get under that to actually see it so I was drilling blind.
Spent a good thirty minutes trying to drill a hole in 3/4" thick material. Finally gave up, went to the store and bought another drill bit, assuming the original one was completely dull. Spent fifteen minutes trying to drill with that. Finally gave up cursing and swearing.
Pulled the drill out and realize what I was doing wrong. THE DAMNED DRILL WAS SET TO REVERSE.
Spent another ten minutes cursing and swearing some more!