The saga of the wooden San Jose Schools BATHROOM PASS continues

OK, Abe. ;-)
On 10/31/14, 7:01 PM, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

bathrooms. No tubs, just communal showers. It was compulsory to bathe together twice a week.
On Fri, 31 Oct 2014 06:14:15 -0400, "Mike Marlow"

Wait for the class to get over, then skip the next.
snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

By letting them get up and use it quickly without interrupting the class to ask for the pass and the time it took to return it. Some people have medical problems, and the need arises without much warning.
We had five minutes between classes. Then the principal retired. His replacement cut it to three minutes between classes and turned off the bells even though the clock system needed a lot of work. It turned into a real mess when hundreds of kids were sent to the principal's office for being tardy for each class. The teachers used whatever their watch said, and no two were the same.
have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
On 10/31/14, 7:34 PM, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Our school had a Western Union clock system governed by a grandfather clock in the office. Occasionally we'd see classroom clocks jump because the principal was adjusting the grandfather clock.
I believed in punctuality, being neither late nor early. I'd generally reach my desk 10 seconds before the bell. All we had at home was a 3" electric clock on the stove. That couldn't be read precisely, so I relied on my internal clock.
Sometimes on a Monday morning I'd be 10 seconds late instead of 10 seconds early. I couldn't reset my internal clock on the principal's whim, so I'd be 10 seconds late every day. By Friday, teachers would be complaining about my continuing presence in detention. The principal would fix his clock and Monday the school would be back in sync with me.
He could have saved detention teachers a lot of unpleasantness if he'd checked with me or the Naval Observatory before tampering with the grandfather clock.
On Fri, 31 Oct 2014 19:34:10 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"

*Exceedingly* few high school students have such problems. There are ways to deal with those few. IOW, a red herring.

Your principal and the entire faculty, in fact, were morons. Maybe they were just ahead of their time. It also must have been a very small high school.
snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

1400
have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
krw wrote, on Fri, 31 Oct 2014 19:00:31 -0400:

San Jose high school classes are an hour and 45 minutes long, which is double your class periods. On Mondays, they're very short. About an hour.
On 11/1/2014 8:15 AM, Danny D. wrote:

That sounds like a lot too long to keep students at a desk. Half hour to 45 mins would make more sense. Need to get up and walk around. I don't think this sounds practical.
"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message

Along those lines...
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/answer-sheet/wp/2014/10/24/teacher-spends-two-days-as-a-student-and-is-shocked-at-what-she-learned/?wpisrc=pdwmk
Saw this article in other publications too...
On 11/1/14, 7:19 PM, John Grossbohlin wrote:

Yeah! What was I supposed to do in a 50-minute lecture when my attention span was under a minute? The fact that lectures were endless repetition showed that teachers knew we were unable to pay attention. They were putting us in a position where we had to sit still and pretend to pay attention all day long.
Each teacher would proudly tell us how many hours we were expected to spend on daily homework for that class. Add it up, and if you did nothing but attend classes and do your homework, there might be time for 4 hours' sleep at night.
It sure seemed abusive to me, but this article says teachers really are that stupid.
J Burns wrote:

J Burns wrote:

society. Don't they expect you to pay attention all day long at work?

learning moment. And to think, schools over the whole great nation do that to kids every school day? Time for the peasants to start a number two pencil revolt. You have nothing to lose but your desks in rows!
On Fri, 31 Oct 2014 20:38:05 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"

That's about the same size as our HS. I can't believe any principal would be so stupid as to believe classrooms could be emptied, people jam halls, all mixing on their way to the next class, and file into the next class in 3 minutes, particularly when the clocks don't work (ours almost always did - Simplex and IBM, same clocks). Add to that the "need" for bathroom passes, and he must have been someone current administrations could look up to.
On Sat, 01 Nov 2014 08:59:41 -0400, Stormin Mormon

+1
An hour is about all one can expect for an attention span. My son had classes that went two hours but they were really a combination of two (English and history, or some the like). They were combined classes with about twice the size, with two teachers. They had plenty of breaks and changes of topics during the classes.
Add in the current ADD "epidemic" and it can't work.
snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

Even an hour is a long time for students to listen to a lecture. One secret to making it work is to include some group activity such as a worksheet, so that the students are not just (not) listening to a lecture.

Hmm, perhaps you're not Abe. Et tu Brute? ;-)
On 11/1/14, 6:20 PM, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

the shower. Most blades were carbon steel, which could rust.
snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

He was a liberal loon. You couldn't get from one end of the campus to the other in three minutes, with the crowded hallways. I averaged 4:15 from science class, to electronics, then 4:00 back to the new wing for the next class.
This was an IBM clock system, but parts of it were over 50 years old. The oldest part of the school was built in the 1800s.
have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.