The REAL Reasons We're Getting Kicked

Page 2 of 4

Phil?????? Phil raced??? Did Mark have a brother I'm unaware of? By the way, I saw a televison program called "autoline detroit" on speedvision that had an interview with a bunch of Ford execs detailing the latest eye candy that will be rolling into showrooms near you and was surprised at the statement one uttered . He was worried that there would be no one to buy the cars/trucks because of the pace of offshoring....
On Sun, 8 Feb 2004 08:22:17 -0800, "patrick mitchel"

Oops, 'twas his other brother Mark. (My old car'll never forgive me for that one.)

Hey, they ARE paying attention, aren't they?
- The only reason I would take up exercising is || http://diversify.com so that I could hear heavy breathing again. || Programmed Websites
Larry Jaques responds:

Really OOOPS! Long years ago (I think in '71), I was a member of the International Motorpress Association. We had a press meeting at Lime Rock (CT) one year, with Mark Donohue in attendance. I got him to give me a demonstration ride in a full load 'Vette around the course. He told me we didn't need helmets, as we wouldn't be running race speeds. True. Later, I took the same 'Vette, same course, about 40 mph slower through one of the corners (wearing my helmet). Could NOT get through that corner without doing a loop. Spun out several times.
He was a nice guy. That was not a nice car, but it was a CAR! Stomp on that sucker at maybe 35-40 mph in top gear and spin out like crazy, even with the widest, stickiest tires then available.
Charlie Self "Everything has its limit - iron ore cannot be educated into gold." Mark Twain
snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme says...

was to get your car up to top speed on the ice, crank the wheel, and slam on the brakes! Now THAT was a spinout :-).
--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?

Larry Blanchard responds:

We used to wait for the parking lots to freeze solid at the then'new shopping malls and do loops between the lamp posts. Also used to ice race motorcycles. A great way to spend a lot of time sliding along on your butt watching your bike slide even faster (you hope: high side that sucker and it stomps the crap out of you). I lived in Albany, NY then, and was a lot younger than I even thought I was.
But that 'Vette was more impressive, spinning out like that on a dry road with good tires.
Charlie Self "Everything has its limit - iron ore cannot be educated into gold." Mark Twain
charliediy noted:

But the point I lost along the way was Mark Donohue. He motored along "well under race speeds" and when stressed my tail off later to get within 35-40 miles of the same speed in a corner, I simply spun out. And I really wasn't that bad a driver, though never as good as I thought I was. If you ever get a chance, ride with somone who is truly world-class. It is an eye-opener and a large step in your education.
Charlie Self "Everything has its limit - iron ore cannot be educated into gold." Mark Twain
Tom Watson wrote:

My 2003 gets 15 in the city and 17 on the highway. It would probably get better with the standard gearing, but I got a stump-puller rearend. My Ranger gets 22 in city, 25 highway, but it's so small for a guy my size. M daughter loves it though. Luckily I'm one of those rich nurses you hear about all the time. <G> Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use:

around a constantly expanding population and their need for houses, automobiles, etc.. That's why every time the birth rate goes down a notch, the politicians notch up immigration.
I'll be dead and gone by the time the bubble bursts. I hope, I hope.
If there's life after death, I'll find Ponzi and re-kill him :-)
--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?

Larry Blanchard wrote:

This is not true. A population with a latrge number of non-workers (ie, not contributing towards GDP), and I'm talking retirees, _depends_ on youth. If the population is not repopulating itself (ie, having kids) fast enough, while the old people are living longer, then the burden of the old non workers overwhelms the power of the working population (ie, the kids people had) to support them (read: Social Security and other government expenses of the old non-workers).
The solution? Force-feed youth into the population through immigration. It is the only way, since the locals are not having enough kids.
There is a huge problem, for example, in Europe, where the aging population is not having enough kids. It is a well-known fact around economist circles that Europe has to get massive immigration to counter this.
China and India, in contrast, has a lot of youth. It is to their advantage to break down their trade barriers to allow those people to do the work locally (ie, "Made in China" exports to the USA, etc...) rather than have massive emmigration to Europe and the USA (who, to a lesser extent than Europe, also has an average age of resident rising too fast).

Let's hope politicians do what they should do. Social Security will be out of funds by 2042 (if I remember correctly).
--
gabriel

gabriel wrote:

The locals are having children, but these children don't want to work in the entry level jobs. Somehow they believe they are entitled to start someplace other than the bottom.
--
Mark

N.E. Ohio
Mark wrote:

No no no, remember we are talking _macro_ economics, not even grouping people into groups. This is the raw mathematics about youth vs old people.
What I am saying is that mathematically, there are not enough young people to support the old people.
This aspect of macro-economics has little to do with an individual's willingness to do a job.
--
gabriel

aint it the truth. skeez

;) good one!!!
Social Security has no funds. All Al's lockbox has is a bunch of IOUs from you and me (i.e. the national debt) that can only be "repaid" with future taxes. If IOU's from yourself represent "having funds" try writing a bunch of IOUs to yourself andf then go buy a PM66 with them ;)
Dave Hall

um you may have that backwards. when gas goes through the roof so will auto sales. everyone with a guzzler will be trying to get something smaller to save money and the suv's will be cheep as dirt because nobody wants em. the same thing happened in the 80's when gas went over a dollar a gallon and we had rationing. the automotive industry will get a boom and the oil industry will take a large hit. then the prices will fall on gas again and we will be back to suv ville once again. this has already happened twice in my lifetime and i suspect it will happen again and again untill there is no more oil. by then there will be some other fuel to take its place. skeez
Oh goody - then I can buy meself a truck!
Renata
On Sat, 07 Feb 2004 21:43:45 GMT, " snipped-for-privacy@home.com"

On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 22:49:34 +0000, Charlie Self wrote:

...and Kerry, Kohl, Rockerfeller, Corzine, Feinstein, Fitzgerald, Lautenberg, Frist, Edwards, Kennedy, Bingaman, Graham, ...
http://www.cnn.com/2003/ALLPOLITICS/06/13/senators.finances/index.html
-Doug
Doug Winterburn writes:

True. Maybe they'll all go duck hunting with Cheney & Scalia, but probably not. They don't have interests in common..er, conflict.
Charlie Self "Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." Mark Twain
What a hoot!
Why is it you infer the basest of motives to those you despise? Is it because you'd if you could?

George asks:

Other way around. Their base motives are apparent for anyone who got out of the barn without blinders. Therefore, they are despicable.
Same point: do you remember the old saying about Caesar's wife? Someone who must be without even an appearance of sin. That is something many of our SP justices seem to have forgotten, as have a lot of other people. If you want people to believe you're even-handed, do not travel with those who are known to members of a faction.
I'm sure you've heard all that, even if you don't understand it.
Charlie Self "We're 269 days from the election, and that's several political lifetimes." TERRY HOLT, Bush campaign spokesman.
I see, the righteousness of the cause determines who's pure of heart?
I'll be looking for your scathing review of the next liberal justice to speak to the NAACP.
Does that mean, for instance, that someone who's always quoting manufacturer's reps can't be counted on for unbiased tool reviews?