The Quarter Test,,,,, Screw the big fat nickel

Page 1 of 2
I have power to the SawStop now and thought I would test the smoothness.
After multiple tries I finally stood a quarter, not a nickel,on it's edge on the table top. To be on the side of caution I placed the quarter opposite the miter slot from the blade in the event the quarter decided to roll in towards the blade... That was unnecessary.
A 3 meg .mov file posted on ABPW. I don't know how else to show this other than to email it to you if you would like to see this exciting movie adventure.
STARING the SawStop, me and my quarter.
Leon wrote:

If I were to buy a SawStop I would have to borrow a quarter to try this! Sounds like a nice machine.
--
 GW Ross

 In nature, there are no rewards or
On 4/27/2013 2:15 PM, G. Ross wrote:

I was thinking that was my last quarter. LOL You could probably swing a secret deal where the store gives you back a quarter if you buy one. ;~)
So far I am very happy with it.
On Saturday, April 27, 2013 1:11:57 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

than to email it to you if you would like to see this exciting movie adventure. STARING the SawStop, me and my quarter. Doesn't Flickr have movie upload capability?
Sonny
On 4/27/2013 4:42 PM, Sonny wrote:

than to email it to you if you would like to see this exciting movie adventure. STARING the SawStop, me and my quarter.

I have not been able to find it lately, seems like it did. Ill have to take another look. Seems like you could upload 2 per month for free.
On 4/27/2013 6:34 PM, Leon wrote:

Jeff
On 4/27/2013 6:24 PM, woodchucker wrote:

Because I seldom post a video and prefer to keep all my pictures and videos in the same place.
On 4/27/2013 4:42 PM, Sonny wrote:

than to email it to you if you would like to see this exciting movie adventure. STARING the SawStop, me and my quarter.

Done Deal!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/8687517178/in/photostream
On 4/27/13 5:38 PM, Leon wrote:

Next time turn your phone sideways. It's called "widescreen," not highscreen. :-)
--

-MIKE-

Leon wrote:

I enjoyed it, but would have preferred a longer video!
Bill
On 4/27/2013 6:38 PM, Leon wrote:

Jeez. I'd be afraid to have a tool like that. It would be just too damned obvious that any flaws in the work were my own fault. :)
On 4/29/2013 8:39 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:

We all make mistakes. It is all in how well you disguise them. ;~)

Agreed! The first order of business when making a mistake is if you can't fix it without scrapping the whole project, find way to make the mistake into a design element.
On Sat, 27 Apr 2013 13:11:57 -0500, Leon wrote:

Leon, I appreciate you posting the details of your Sawstop,
I am going to upgrade later in the year and had already decided on the Sawstop, just not which model.
Right now I'm using a 1951 delta contractors saw that has had a motor upgrade but still has the original bump and hope fence. The move to a Sawstop would be a giant leap for me.
I would like to hear feed back on the Sawstops fence rigidity and repeatability, after you have ran it awhile.
basilisk
On 4/28/2013 10:49 AM, basilisk wrote:

Well thank you! I appreciate your expressing your appreciation. It has been a lot of fun and work.
A point to ponder..
For me personally I wanted the additional safety, first and foremost. That was the single reason for upgrading. I had a Jet cabinet saw that I was perfectly happy with and really did buy it with the intention of it being my last table saw purchase.
To get that upgrade in safety I knew that it would be expensive. Ultimately I would be spending a lot of money for a feature that I hoped I would never need. I am fortunate in that I can afford this expense and to additionally afford some extras that I will be able to use and appreciate on a daily basis.
Coming from a contractors saw, which does not have the t-square Bies style fence, I am sure you will be delighted with the Professional version of the SawStop. It is a true cabinet saw and is available with a 3hp motor and the t-square type fence. Having previously had a cabinet saw, I felt that the Professional version would have been a lateral move for me, discounting the safety features. So I opted to go with the heavier and larger Industrial version of the SawStop.
First impression of the SawStop t-square "T Glide" fence is that, other than color, it is a very close copy of the Biesemeyer fence. It too uses a laminate covered Baltic Birch type material for the faces of the fence.
I am not sure what experience you have with this style fence but my impression is that they all are so simple that they are virtually fool proof and extremely easy to readjust should that ever need to be redone. The only finicky part when mounting the fence system on the saw is that you insure that the front and back "L" angle rails be bolted on as close to parallel to the table top as possible. Actually I eye balled that adjustment and that is good enough. The purpose to being parallel to the table top is so that the fence will not be too high or too low to the table surface from one of the saw to the other. All adjustments for calibration should take you about 10 minutes if you are anal about it. ;~)
I adjusted my fence for it to be parallel to the blade and used my finger to feel the fence in relation to the miter slot.
Now you will need a ruler for the next step, adjusting the cursor to the front rail rule. I set the fence to 2" made a cut, measured the result with a caliper and adjusted the cursor to offset that amount. Next test cut resulted in being within .007" of being what I was looking for. That is plenty good enough.
I am certain that I will have no accuracy issues but If I do rest assured I'll bring them up.
These type fences are rigid and easily repeatable to say 1/128". I used the right side of my Jet t-square style fence as an adjustable stop for panels that I used to cut biscuit slots and now cut mortises for domino's. Accuracy has not ever been an issue.
When the time comes feel free to ask more If you need any insider information.
Hope this helps.
You know, it just dawned on me that I neglected my obligation to you as a friend and fellow woodworking upon hearing your news and seeing those pictures. I apologize and hope you will allow me the opportunity to rectify that oversight now....
You suck and I hate you.
:-)
--

-MIKE-

+1
--
www.ewoodshop.com (Mobile)

+2
You know, I put a whole dollar on edge once on one of my saws and no one seemed a bit impressed. A buck! Think how much thinner tat is than a quarter...
Oh well...
Nice stuff, Leon. Can't wait to get back the reports after the first priject is underway.
Robert
On 4/28/2013 1:12 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

;~) Better late than never!
Looks like Houston got hit pretty good.