The private lives of woodworkers !

To support my woodworking habit (which has unfortunately been on furlough the past 6 months) I write reports and articles on social and anthropological issues.

For the past 7 months we have been running a survey among various groups. I thought it would be fun to do the wreck. In a week or so I'll tabulate the responses and post them here for all to see what we do with that other kind of wood.

The survey is completely confidential (eg, there is no identifying information) and anything I post on here will be in aggregate including comparing wreckers (as a group) to the world population in general.

Just for your own comfort - everyone does themselves at least occasionally, 71% of men (and 38% of women) cheat at least once and most of those have paid to get it, and people in Oz (is Black Sheep still around?) have the most active 'private lives' of all industrialized nations.

Here's the survey:

Folklore

If you encounter any problems please let me know.

The first few people who did it encountered a couple of broken redirects that we fixed.

Folklore

I think between the trolls, the spammers and other weird cases of humanity mucking around in this group - we do not need to add your sexual fantasy survey - it serves no purpose.

You may call it fun, I say take it elsewhere.

Bob S.

Reply to
Bob S.

Ditto ...

Speaking of "spam" ... been keeping count of the spam I get here at the house since July 6, 2003. As of this AM, 4,214 UCE's in 25 days.

If public execution is the only way to put a stop to this sh*t, I am all for it.

Reply to
Swingman

Yet another stupid site that can't deal with the fact that I have cookies enabled but am behind a firewall (Zonealarm). Doesn't work with either Mozilla or IE and I'm sure not going to take down the firewall just to satisfy my morbid curiousity.

Not that I'd take a survey anyway, but was curious regarding the questions.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Go away...

Reply to
WoodJunkie

SurveyMonkey is a piece of crepe! (pardon my French)

Tried with Mozilla (Netscape) 1.4 (the latest) and IE (5.5)...doesn't work with either.

Reply to
Chris Merrill

Same here. Probably because the site sends the bad kind of cookie.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

I answered the first two questions, clicked NEXT and it took me right back to the same page.

Reply to
BigJoe

This is the first I've heard of a firewall issue. They're checking into it. I'd planned on posting the results in about a week so your curiosity will be satisfied.

Thanks,

Reply to
Folklore

Thanks Chris. I thought about the missing OT just as I pressed post. My bad.

Checking on the browser issues. Are you behind a firewall?

Thanks,

Reply to
Folklore

This issue has been corrected. This one was my fault in not setting the route logic correctly.

Reply to
Folklore

I screwed up the route logic. Corrected.

Thanks,

Reply to
Folklore

Kinda...a Linksys NAT router for our office. No filtering turned on...other than blocking non-HTTP and non-SSH ports. Never a problem with other sites.

Incidentally, it worked this time...I think. It skipped to question twenty-something after the first page. Very confusing.

************************************ Chris Merrill snipped-for-privacy@christophermerrillZZZ.net (remove the ZZZ to contact me) ************************************
Reply to
Chris Merrill

Hi Bob.

The US has the highest level of rape of all industrialized nations, and over 7 times the rate, per capita, as Europe. Divorce in the US has risen to near 60% of all marriages. Teen pregnancies, single-parenthood, and STD's (particularly Herpes and HPV among 8th -

11th graders) are a huge problem.

Too often in the US we shy away from discussing and addressing issues such as this and then wonder why we have the problems we do. Through information gathering such as this and other studies that are taking place we will gain a better understanding of these issues and hopefully be able to have a positive impact.

Why the wreck? One reason is simply to continue to add to the number of respondents and therefore the accuracy and value of the data. Another is that this is an area that many people are in fact interested in. In other similar lifestyle groups where we've posted the survey most of the people within the group have enjoyed seeing the results and how their group compares to the rest of the population and for a few, how they personally compare.

Folk...

Reply to
Folklore

Interesting, coming from someone who doesn't use a real name. Kinda makes one wonder where those stats come from. And the "nospam.net" address is a hoot given the nature of the thread.

John Emmons

Reply to
John Emmons

This just isn't true.

The actual statistic AFAIK is that the divorce rate is ~50% of the marriage rate. This does *not* mean that half of all marriages end in divorce. People get married all the time, people get divorced all the time -- but many times more people *stay* married.

Doug Miller

Self selected participants in a survey are useless statistically.

Wes

Reply to
clutch

You raise a good point. Current data indicates that 52% of first marriages end in divorce, 72% of second, and 90% of third. Of all marriages 58% end in divorce.

Reply to
Folklore

You are correct. In reality any type of online survey is statistically invalid and many statisticians don't care for them.

However, the internet has two advantages:

1) Cost. Conducting a statistically valid survey to collect this same information would cost us approximately $4 per respondent, not including survey design and analysis. With over 6,000 respondents (and a target of 14,000) that's a chunk of change. Conducting the survey online costs us less than $0.12 per respondent. 2) There is an advantage to self-selection when specific lifestyle groups are targeted. Though this doesn't hold water statistically for drawing conclusions, it can be of benefit in guiding our research direction. It also provides some interesting views such as thus far on rec.ww peoples overall satisfaction with their marriage is higher than the population in general but their satisfaction with their sex life is slightly lower.

Finally, we do some validation in norming our data against known data such as cenus information and include questioning identical to both the Janus and Hart reports for further comparison.

Reply to
Folklore