The price of redwood

Just curious if redwood is as expensive out west as it is here in CT/MA area. Freight has to be a big factor.
I'm going to build a chaise lounge for the patio. I was deciding what wood to use and thought redwood would be nice. A local supplier said they have a difficult time getting much of it and it is $6.79 bd ft for S4S.
I'll be using white oak at half that price. Ed
"Edwin Pawlowski" writes:
<snip>

wood
Have you thought about Cypress?
My guess is $4-$5/bf on the East coast.
--
Lew

It is 3.10 right now, same as white oak. I used cypress for a Tudor bench last year. I liked working with it and it looks good. I was thinking oak or redwood just for a change. I saw a lounge in a mail order magazine (Smith & Hawkins) that I like for the style. It sells for $1100. I'm going to take a look at it with tape measure in hand. Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

Don't forget your digital camera.
Photos and measurements are very necessary to decide if the bench will look right were you want to put, _if_ you buy one. ;^)
Glastonbury? <G>
Barry

Yep. I'll be there tomorrow. I was surprised when I went here last year (in search of a copper fountain) and saw the Tudor bench I made from plans. Mine was $300 in cypress, theirs was $999 in teak. I'm roughly figuring about 35 to 38 board feet for the lounge. Ed
If you only know how much they pay for rent at that place. It probably explains why they gouge you on everything. I went there lasy year looking for a hat for SWMBO for Mday and it was twice that of the hats across the river at Comstock Ferry.
wrote in message

plans.
They have a couple of marked down Besseys at HD if you are in Gbury.

take a

Thanks. The ones around here are long gone and I could use a couple more. Ed
Ed:

It's getting expensive out in Calif as well. The old mills are shutting down and lot of the logging is done up in Oregon or Washington state. I just bought some ceder vs redwood at one my suppliers because it was cheaper. But the redwood I was looking at was S4S 2 x 4 - around $2.80 or so a bdft. (I think - I know it was cheaper the what was quoted to you).
Some folks are reclaiming the older timbers as they come up - either with teardowns in hotels, barns, etc. or "fishing" them out of the water. Not sure how much that stuff costs but I have seen pieces made from it and it's great stuff.
Good luck with your project. I got several of those do do for the outside as well.
MJ Wallace