The Popes casket.

Page 5 of 6

snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net wrote:

You may have picked a poor example. Freud pretty much rejected his own theories before he died.

Which is, really, immaterial. Whether he accepted his own theories or not has no bearing on their validity. Now, Freud may have been full of it for other reasons, I dunno, but "he rejected his own theories" isn't a valid reason why he was full of it.
Jason
On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 04:42:09 -0500, "Jason Quick"

But, validity is not the appropriate dimension along which to assess his, or any other theory. Utility is.
All the best,
--
Kenneth

Not to mention - Bohr's model of the atom is wrong, and very much so. But, it's perfect for understanding chemical reactions at a basic level.
On 10 Apr 2005 20:02:29 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net wrote:

No...<g>
Because the motivation is completely different.
All the best,
--
Kenneth

Kenneth wrote:

Well, you lost me here. I thought it a good analog becuase the motivation was extremely similar.
BTW, I don't understandd what "<g>" means.
--

FF

On 11 Apr 2005 07:30:49 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net wrote:

Hi,
"<g>" is the Usenet "grin." I just wanted to be sure that there was nothing heavy about this for me...
All the best,
--
Kenneth

Or maybe don't accept blunt chisels or dried glue...? : )
George wrote:

Who are SDAa?
--

FF

Seventh Day Adventists
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Thanks. I have a friend (probably more than one) who is a Seventh Day Adventist. He's also the only person I know who lost his job because of 'drug screening'.
--

FF

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Students for Democratic Action?
See: http://www.susqu.edu/facstaff/r/richard/Frog_skin.html
"Double pith a frog. There are several ways to do this. Firmly grasping the frog in one hand, quickly push a sharp metal probe through the skin from the back of the neck up into the brain. move the pointer tip around in the brain to destroy it. This is then a single pithed frog, one in which all higher brain function has been destroyed. Then, you can take the pointer and insert it into the spinal column and push it down until the legs extend and then relax. This is then a double pithed frog, one in which both higher brain function and reflex function is destroyed. The pointer should be long enough to reach the end of the spinal column, and should be easy to insert. If it is not easy, then the probe is probably outside the column."
The brain is a multipart organ and what the person is or isn't can or can't do depends on the area damaged.
Makes me wonder that our congresspeople did in high school biology.
Josie
snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net wrote:

Clarification: they are functions of a *living* brain stem.
Doug Miller wrote:

No, not conjecture, CAT-Scan imagery. "Probably false" is probably a bald-faced lie.

One presumes she did not grow a new brain between the time the scan was done and the autopsy. I suspect your surces will discount the autopsy results, claiming they are part of conspiracy or some such.

False. Only the brain stem is required for breathing and heartbeat. No higher brain functions are involved.
Anencephalic infants can have a heartbeat and breath reflex without any external support. They don't HAVE a higher brain.
--

FF

snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net wrote:

But are not Brain Dead. Brain Dead is a medical term denoting the absence of ALL electrical activity in the brain. If you are breathing, you've got electrical activity.

Lobby Dosser wrote:

A google search makes it clear that there is no medical consensus on the meaning of "brain death".
--

FF

snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net wrote:

<http://www.miaims.missouri.edu/~neuromedicine/braindeath.shtml
is an example.
FWIW, there is no 'medical consensus' on Anything.
Lobby Dosser wrote:

Thanks. That is the most clear and thorough I have seen.
It would seem that Mr Miller is correct, "brain death" can refer to cessation of all brian activity, including brainstem.
That doesn't change my opinion on the legal, ethical, and moral correctness of the various court decisions. The courts had two witnesses, one of them her husband, who testified as to Ms Schiavo's wishes. Those wishes were well within the realm of commonly accepted.
--

FF

snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net wrote:

However, Mike Schiavo didn't make known his recollection of that conversation until some years after it was alleged to have taken place. During the first several years of her disability, he apparently never thought to mention that to anyone. That, combined with his apparent financial interest in her demise, perhaps should have raised a bit more skepticism with the court than it did.
snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net wrote:

I believe that there is some dispute over what that CAT scan actually showed. As I said...

When the autopsy results are released, then we'll see.

Not false at all. You evidently don't understand what "brain-dead" means.

That is NOT the same as being brain-dead.