The Popes casket.

A while ago they moved John XXIII's body, that's the grave where they're planting JP II. I suppose whomever had that task was grateful if a similar arrangement had been made for the previous tenant.

Indeed, Terri Shiavo was beyond brain-dead, much of the dead brain tissue had been absorbed into her body. What was left of her higher brain was severely atrophied. She was nearly anencephalic.

Reply to
fredfighter

Conjecture, and probably false. When the autopsy results are released, then we'll see. Evidence so far indicates that she was not brain-dead: unquestionably, she was able to breathe on her own, and her heart beat, without assistance of machinery. Brain-dead people can't do that.

Doug Miller

Brain stem functions only, non-cognitive...and certainly no more conjectural than your contention.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

No, not conjecture, CAT-Scan imagery. "Probably false" is probably a bald-faced lie.

One presumes she did not grow a new brain between the time the scan was done and the autopsy. I suspect your surces will discount the autopsy results, claiming they are part of conspiracy or some such.

False. Only the brain stem is required for breathing and heartbeat. No higher brain functions are involved.

Anencephalic infants can have a heartbeat and breath reflex without any external support. They don't HAVE a higher brain.

Reply to
fredfighter

But are not Brain Dead. Brain Dead is a medical term denoting the absence of ALL electrical activity in the brain. If you are breathing, you've got electrical activity.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Some portion of the brain did function. What is not know (at least not yet) is what portions did and was she able to comprehend anything. While some body function continued, was she still "alive" and what determines "life" as we define it. Long philosophical, theological and physiological debates will continue for years on this matter.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Well, that's true. But only if you count the "reptile" brain. That's what controls the automatic functions. That's not the part that does any thinking.

And, like you, I suggest we wait for the autopsy report. Of course, whatever it is, one side will claim it was faked. I wouldn't want to be that coroner :-).

Reply to
lgb

heartbeat.

A google search makes it clear that there is no medical consensus on the meaning of "brain death".

Reply to
fredfighter

I sort of wonder what purgatory it would be, for a soul to be tied to a body/mind that but for the active interference of man, would have, should have died years ago.

My prayers for both Terri and the P>>we'll see. Evidence so far indicates that she was not brain-dead:

Reply to
Randy

According to many others:

Cypress--> Zinc --> Oak.

I've also seen:

Cypress--> Zinc --> Pine, or Pine --> Zinc --> Cypress.

How many news reporters are able to identify woods by sight? To me it looked like it could be either oak or pine, but almost certainly not walnut.

Your guess is as good as mine at this point.

Tim Douglass

Tim Douglass

is an example.

FWIW, there is no 'medical consensus' on Anything.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

It's a matter of established fact, not conjecture, that her respiration and heartbeat continued without the assistance of a machine.

Doug Miller

When the autopsy results are released, then we'll see.

Not false at all. You evidently don't understand what "brain-dead" means.

That is NOT the same as being brain-dead.

Doug Miller

That is a non-cognitive function of the brain ...you're relying on there being any function whereas the chance of any cognitive recovery was hopeless as the pictures shown of brain scans taken several years prior clearly showed, as earlier posted noted, atrophying of the the brain itself. While a tragic situation, there was absolutely no hope of anything better.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

But it's also a clear demonstration that the brain is not *dead*.

I think that's still somewhat a matter of dispute. The autopsy should lay those questions to rest.

Doug Miller

Doug Miller wrote: ...

Don't know how a picture showing essentially nothing remaining in the cavity could leave it in much dispute.

As someone else noted, there undoubtedly will be those who'll continue to claim those results are wrong, too...too many are seeing this through their belief system rather than their logical minds.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

I hear conflicting reports about what the pictures actually show. I haven't seen them myself; have you?

Doug Miller

released, then

respiration and

It is a matter of fact, not conjecture, that heartbeat and respiration are brain stem functions.

Reply to
fredfighter

Google is your friend:

fredfighter

Thanks. That is the most clear and thorough I have seen.

It would seem that Mr Miller is correct, "brain death" can refer to cessation of all brian activity, including brainstem.

That doesn't change my opinion on the legal, ethical, and moral correctness of the various court decisions. The courts had two witnesses, one of them her husband, who testified as to Ms Schiavo's wishes. Those wishes were well within the realm of commonly accepted.

Reply to
fredfighter