The Popes casket.

Page 1 of 6

Was I the only one who noticed that the Popes casket was made of Pine and had Dovetailed corners?
I wonder who made it?
As I like to tell my wife sometimes: "I can make that".

David F. Eisan wrote:

It was not pine, but cypress.
--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.

Actually he was put in a Cypress casket, that was put in a Lead casket and finally those were put in an Elm casket. The Elm being the outer of the 3.

I guess the material depends on the news network.
cypress is a constant
Second layer is either lead or zinc, or just a lining of the outer casket.
Outer casket is either Walnut, Oak, or Elm. It may or may not be lined with the above metal.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome /

Hopefully zinc... lead wouldn't be too healthy.
--
Owen Lowe
The Fly-by-Night Copper Company

Don't tell fishermen that... They've been using lead for decades...
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

I believe over the last few years lead for fishing has been transitioning over to some other conglomeration of metals. There was concern over personal safety - how many adults and kids bite down on the split shot to fix it to the line? - as well as wildlife ingestion... as I recall those were the reasons.
--
Owen Lowe
The Fly-by-Night Copper Company

You should be aware that some of those "concerns" were a back-door attempt by the anti-hunting folks at a roundabout gun-control scheme.

Ceramic glazes had lead in 'em, that's for sure, and they stored in glazed amphorae. Wine being acid - well, could be. http://itsa.ucsf.edu/~snlrc/encyclopaedia_romana/wine/leadpoisoning.html is a fairly reasoned analysis.
Germans adulterated their whites with ethylene glycol to sweeten them, too. Nothing's too weird for an oenophile.
I'm more inclined to think that entitlements of Roman Citizens and their addiction to _them_ were more to blame for the decline of the leisure classes.
<snip>

Spiffy frame there, Chuck. Is there any evidence that it works?
Patriarch
Patriarch wrote:

Thanks. It was fun to make (in an odd highly-stressful sort of way). :-)

Er ... not yet. :-) Haven't had a chance to do much fishing recently, but that will be remedied soon. SWMBO and I are heading to Sedona next week, so I'll get to flyfish Oak Creek a bit. Then in June I'm off to North Carolina to flyfish for wild trout in and around the Smokies.
I'll try to remember to get some pics of it in action. :-)
Chuck Vance

Well, centuries. But, besides, it's not going to hurt the pope any. Lead caskets have been in use since at least Roman times.

I guess they really want to make sure he doesn't get out of that sucker.:)
I noticed the same thing... Very nice dovetail joints, and the cypress will last for a very long time. I didn't know about the outer shells in lead/zinc and Elm. I would have expected it to be more ornate, but perhaps the outer shells are -- still haven't seen them.
X_HOBBES

and
and
3.
X_HOBBES wrote:

[snip]
Not sure about anything more ornate since the actual spaces for burial are very limited. Maybe this is a case when bigger is not better.
Josie

The Pope requested to be buried in the earth. An unusual request. Earth is in very short supply at the Vatican.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4424477.stm The link shows the coffin being lowered into the crypt. Everyone seems agreed the inner coffin is cypress but judging by the picture the whole thing can't be THAT heavy as the coffin is suspended between two aluminium scaffold towers spanned with a wooden beam as it's lowered into the crypt. So it can't be lead can it...? so zinc. Difficult to say what the outer coffin is made of but it does look like oak.
grumble
On Sat, 09 Apr 2005 20:37:46 +0000, Ian wrote:

According to the very end of your link, the outer box IS oak.