The Pointy Stick Compendium Project

Page 3 of 4
I tried to introduce a serious woodworking topic and look where it's gone!
While there were some great suggestions, which I will try and work into The Pointy Stick Compendium Project, the diversion to politics and foreign policy is way out of line. Let's try and stay ON TOPIC folks!
In an attempt to get this thread back on topic, here's one of my recent findings, prompted by a serious respondent to my plea for assistance.
One of the subcategories of Pointy Sticks is the version designed specifically for pressing into "tablets" made of a special mix of dirts and water. These Impressing Sticks and the impressions they left in ancient "tablets" served as the inspiration for The Impressionist Movement 7,000 +/- years later.
I'm also developing a hypothesis that the paintbrush evolved from the Gnawed Pointy Stick, Gnawing predating both the Rubbed and Whittled Pointy Stick manufacturing techniques. I'm still gathering the data to support my hypothesis and hope to publish sometime early next year. If you have any photographs or block prints of very early paintbrushes which might have started out as a Gnawed Pointy Stick, PLEASE e-mail me a copy, with any support documentation/provenance you may have to confirm the age of the artifact.
Please people - try and stay on topic.
charlie b Editor The Pointy Stick Compendium Project

Sorry Charlie (did I just say that out loud?) but this conflicts with my own theory on Impressionism, particularly in the regard of those such as Degas, Cezanne, Renoir, Matisse, Monet, et al, who suffered, in my firm opinion from poor eyesight, and thought that they were doing Realism, thus inventing an entire school of visual artwork, based entirely on the inability to see clearly.
As proof, I offer you the thought that, were I a painter, which I am not, and were I to paint without having my glasses on, which I would not, even if I could, I would paint a faithful representation of the world as I perceived it; unclear, diaphanous, distorted, pastel, and preposterous.
I am surprised that the art critics have not taken my point.
Thomas J. Watson - WoodDorker

Though OT, your post has lead to a new Gnawed Pointy Stick Brush / Art Movement hypothesis. Start by making a hemlock Gnawed Pointy Stick brush. Wait 30 minutes before beginning to paint. Now paint what you see. Surrealism! (Note: hemlock Gnawed Pointy Stick brush sizes should be kept to small brush sizes as making large Gnawed Pointy Stick brushes can be hazardous to your health ( see Socrates).
charlie b

Tom, did you ever read Poul Anderson? One of his books (Goblin Reservation) included a character, an artist, that in the history of the story's era was remembered for having started his career as an artist with realism, but later in his life was credited with painting bizarre, surrealistic fantasies.
In the story, turns out the artist only painted what he witnessed -- he had travelled back in time to an era when intergalactic travellers that were goblins, trolls, fairies, and a dragon had inhabited earth.
Not exactly Descartes, but it was a fun book.

Mark & Juanita wrote:

"Goblin Reservation" was written by Clifford Simiak. (All together now: "Hurrah for old Bill Shakespeare he never wrote them plays. Just stayed at home, while chasing girls sand dirty rondelays.")
--RC

DOH! [smacks head]. OK, I'm getting old, now I can't even keep things straight from my mis-spent youth. Thanks for the reminder -- Simak was another of my favorite authors.

On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 04:55:35 GMT, the inscrutable Rick Cook

Simak. I read some of Clifford's novels back in high school but I don't recall which. I'll have to look the old bloke up at the library the next time I'm there.

Drop that "s" on the last line of Uncle Bill's ditty, will ya?
-- Remember: Every silver lining has a cloud. ---- http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development
"Tom Watson" wrote in message

Well spoken Tom (as usual). What you have not taken into account is the fact that the art critics (like all of us) can become blinded to anything that comes from outside their specific profession. Well, maybe not blinded so much as myopic ... which brings us back to your point (errr pointy stick??).
All too often, here on the wreck, we find opinions challenged almost to the point of drawing blood. Happily, some reason prevails, and educated explainations show a workable alternative to the blood, gore, and mayhem often suggested. Glad you provide a great deal of that positive commentary.
Now ... where did I put my glasses?
Rick
It is not necessary to understand things in order to argue about them -- Beaumarchais

'tis a good thing you're *not* a painter. Nothing worse than painting a pointy stick and thus ruining it's natural beauty.

Alright, back on topic. I'm having trouble getting my pointy stick dimensions correct. Seems I keep screwing up the fractions; would I be better off converting to metric to make better pointy sticks?
[There, is that better?]
On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 21:41:21 -0700, Mark & Juanita wrote:

It's easy. Forget the fractions. Use a pointy story stick for all your measurements. This method also works well when restoring old, odd-sized pointy sticks, such as Chippednail and Shortenone antiques.
--
"Keep your ass behind you"
vladimir a t mad scientist com

Purists such as myself do not feel that pointing a traditional story sticks is at all apropos. We'll have nothing to do with yours, TYVM.
-- Remember: Every silver lining has a cloud. ---- http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development
On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 05:51:36 -0800, Larry Jaques wrote:

Ah, my mistake, should have been "pointy stick story stick." Although, one could store a pointy story stick with its point stuck in a pointy hole. But that's another story.
--
"Keep your ass behind you"
vladimir a t mad scientist com

story stick.
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

Please include instructions for making my pointy stick scary sharp.
Jerry S. wrote:

That's "Scary Sharp (tm)"! You DO NOT want to get on the wrong side of the Scary Sharp (tm) copyright infringement lawyers. If you think Coca Cola (tm) protects their brand name wait ''til you piss off the Scary Sharp (tm) boys!
Now back on topic - the History of The Pointy Stick chapter:
FOX "News" is reporting that the Southern Fundamentalist Evangelical Judeo-Christian Conference is in the process of "correcting" Genesis based on a new scroll found near The Really Dead Sea. Early translations are suggesting that the actual text reads "On the Seventh Day HE rested, sitting on the steps of HIS front porch - whittling a Pointy Stick. And it was good."
FOX has dispatched Geraldo Rivera, their crack investigative reporter, to the Really Dead Sea area and Hannity (sp?) is oo his way to interview Jerry Falwell. A four hour "Fair and Balanced", "objective", "scientific" special will be aired this weekend on this new Revelation. Stay tuned for date and time.
On a related note, one of the Mars exploration rovers has sent back images of what appears to be a Pointy Stick protruding from the face of an overhanging rock outcrop named The Overhaning Rock Outcrop. The Mars Team is studying the images and waiting for infra red, ultra violet and x-ray images before releasing any more information on this startling find. The ramifications of finding Pointy Sticks on other planets is unimaginable.
Now a word from eight of our sponsors.
Hemroids? Have you tried Merk's new Pointy Stick Hemroid Treatment (tm)? Ask your doctor about Pointy Stick Hermroid Treatment (tm). (not available as an Over The Counter treatment. Void where prohibited by law. Side affects may include excessive bleading, excrutiating "discomfort", blurred vision and disrupted lower gastro-intenstinal function.
: :
charlie b
On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 09:23:45 -0800, the inscrutable charlie b

Puhleeeze, that's "ScarySharp(tm)"!

See above.

God is pissed and is she ever gonna make the Prez. pay for it.

Catherwood recommends Loosener's Castor Oil Flakes, The All-Weather Breakfast!
-- Remember: Every silver lining has a cloud. ---- http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development
Larry Jacques wrote:

Actually and technically I think it's ScarySharp(tmBennett Leeds).
That is if you want credit for a name to go to the first guy/gurl to utter it/use it in print.
UA100

Allllright. if you must know...*shakes head*
use this to make one...
http://www.nemi.com/product-pictures/digitizer%20telescoping.htm
As to the subcategory of Pointy Sticks (tm?) and Impressing Sticks, for most of my life I have used a Complex Composite Pointy Stick for writing. Aside from writing, I also find my CCPS an indispensable aid to woodworking, for making marks, "Impressing" ala 21st century. Almost as indispensable as the pointy "DO" end of the CCPS is the opposite rubbery "UNDO" end. I impressed upon my children, as they grew up, the value of Pointy Sticks, and not to take them for granted, as they don't just grow on trees. I have some questions..Is "Pointy Stick" a more suitable term to use in the phrase "It's better than being poked in the eye with a sharp stick!"? I'm thinking it depends on whether you're talking to swells or riff-raff. Are the 2 types of sticks related, did one evolve from the other? Sam