The Pointy Stick Compendium Project

Page 1 of 4
Over the years, there have been many inquiries to The Wreck regarding Pointy Sticks and a vast wealth of information about Pointy Sticks is scattered all over hell. Id like to create a compendium of that information and put it all on an easily accesiible web site before it gets lost for all times. If you, or anyone you know, would like to contribute to this compendium or have answers to any of the following questions - please either e-mail them to me or post them here with the subject line The Pointy Stick Compendium Project.
Thank you for any assistance you can provide with this matter.
Sincerely
charlie b Director The Pointy Stick Compendium Project
- Where can I find plans for a [ _______ ] Pointy Stick ? point on the top point on the bottom point on the left end point on the right end right handed left handed -Whats the best way to make Pointy Sticks ? (I only have $9,000 budgeted for tools) - Anyone have plans for a jig to make Pointy Sticks that's: cheap? easy? high precision? - Where can I buy a jig to make Pointy Sticks thats cheap? thats easy to use? that is mirco adjustable? - What makes a good Pointy Stick good? how long should the point be? can The Golden Mean be applied to Pointy Stick design? should I put a micro point on my Pointy Stick? are Japanese laminated point Pointy Sticks worth the extra money? - Who makes the best Pointy Stick and why? - Should I try and find a Pointy Stick at a flea market and restore it or should I just bite the bullet and order a LIe NIelsen Pointy Stick? - Has anyone seen or actually used the new Veritas Pointy Stick? - What wood should I use for my Pointy Stick? hard hardwood? soft hardwood? hard softwood? soft softwood? what about laminated Pointy Sticks? - Is Grain Orientation important for Pointy Sticks and, if so, how should the grain be oriented relative to the long axis of the Pointy Stick? - Is fire hardening the tip worth it? - Is it really necessary to polish the tip of my Pointy Stick or can I stop at 6000 grit? - Should I put a finish on my Pointed Stick and, if so, what is the best finish to use on my Pointy Stick? - My Pointy Stick split. Any way to repair it or should I just start all over? - I picked up a Pointy Stick at a garage sale/ was given my great great great grandfathers / grandmothers Pointy Stick/ dug up an old Pointy Stick while digging a new outhouse hole / dug up an old Pointy Stick while searching for bottles in an OLD outhouse hole: where can I find a manual for it? how do I get the dirt/paint/motor oil/blood/? off / out of it? anyone know how to tell the age of a Pointy Stick? is there anyway to find out who made it? - Where do you get ideas for your Pointy Sticks - Who, in your opinion, was, or is, the best Pointy Stick maker - Opinions of Gary Knox Bennetts Pointy Sticks - Has James Krenov ever made a Pointy Stick
Please feel free to add to this list and/or answer any of the above questions.
Here's a footnote from The Origins of the Pointy Stick section of the compendium
*1 Whittting: a fundamentalist form of woodworking. Practioners are known as Widdlers in South Eastern North America, Whittlers in most of the rest of North America except parts of eastern Canada, Whytthlaeres in England, Witliers in Frahnz and the eastern parts of Canada, Dasdudeseinsliecendevoodmiteinkniphenteule in the former Austrian Empire and squiggly line, two dots, a slashing curved line with a hook on the end and three dots over it in Arabic
Whittlers predate The Era of Roy. Some Poiinty Stick historians believe the Whittlers were themselves predated by the Stone Rubbers and a theory is developing which involves gnawing and the use of prehistoric beaver teeth as tools. Beavers are thought to be the inspiration for the Pointy Stick Concept.
charlie b wrote:

Great idea. But don't forget those of us who have purchased an "el cheapo" at Harbor Fright/Northern Tool/Canadian Tire for a buck two ninety-eight. It won't last as long as the PC/PM/yellow tool version but may be only slightly worse than the Griz PS5500. Or should I have gone with the guy at the Borg's advice and bought the Binford R60?
    mahalo,     jo4hn

The Binford R60?
Wasn't that rcommended by Tim the Toolman Taylor?

I generally suggest to consider the Fesstoolwerks Pfointy Schtick from Germany. Not only does it have a 3 year warranty, it has two, count'em, TWO ends. AFAIK, they are the only company who make oxygen free pointy sticks.
Sun, Feb 27, 2005, 8:18am (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@accesscom.com (charlieb) says: Over the years, there have been many inquiries to The Wreck regarding Pointy Sticks <snip>
Just remember, someone is always going to be careless.
http://www.castleofspirits.com/impaled.gif
On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 14:59:47 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

That seems to fall along the lines of "just remember, someone will always figure out a way to mis-use what is built. Try the following for someone being careless, even the originator of the pointy-stick gets careless.
<http://www.ezee-life.com/powerpoint/beaver.pps

Great start Charlie. Here's a few more.
How do I stain my pine pointy stick to look like cherry? Is wipe-on poly good for pointy sticks? Can I BBQ with my pointy stick and what oil should I use so it is food safe? Do I need Norms duplicator lathe to make a pointy stick? If I take my pointy stick to Europe will it work on their electricity? What kind of pointy stick does GW Bush have? Pointy sticks are dangerous and legislation is needed to force the use of the new "Point Stop" technology. My pointy stick is in .rar format and I can't see it. What do I do? Hi. First time poster here. What's a pointy stick?
Art
Over the years, there have been many inquiries to The Wreck regarding Pointy Sticks and a vast wealth of information about Pointy Sticks is scattered all over hell. I'd like to create a compendium of that information and put it all on an easily accesiible web site before it gets lost for all times. If you, or anyone you know, would like to contribute to this compendium or have answers to any of the following questions - please either e-mail them to me or post them here with the subject line "The Pointy Stick Compendium Project".
Thank you for any assistance you can provide with this matter.
Sincerely
charlie b
I hve made a cherry pointy stick should I pant it? Thanks
-
On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 18:24:54 -0500, Tom O'Connor wrote:

I dunno about your modern pointy sticks. I like hand tools, so I just make blunt sticks.
--
"Keep your ass behind you"
vladimir a t mad scientist com

For the sake of reduced bandwidth, might I suggest dividing the compendium in half? One volume for right handed and one for left handed pointy sticks?
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

As SWMBO won't let me spend money on tools or materials anymore, I had to devise a workaround for my pointy stick ...
1. Buy popsicle 2. Eat popsicle 3. Rub popsicle stick sides on sidewalk until point is achieved 4. Reverse and repeat for double-headed pointy stick 5. Stain to desired finish (popsicle colouring may alter stain)
YMMV
I've decided to make a Pointy Stick, and I've got the following questions/comments:
Should I buy a Stanley No. 5 off E-bay, or slap down the cash for a Lie-Nielsen? Or get one of Steve Knight's?
Has JOAT posted free plans for a Pointy Stick, or do I have to buy the plans?
Will SWMBO want her own Pointy Stick after she sees mine?
What kind of Pointy Stick would Tage Frid/Krenov/Tom Plamann come up with?
What kind of lighting/heating/dust collection system should I put in my shop to make Pointy Sticks?
Has Tom Watson written any hilarious stories about Pointy Sticks?
Where can I get custom-made brass hardware for my Pointy Stick?
Will LROD correct my usage of capitalization when I write "Pointy Stick"?
I went to the local woodworker's show to see the Pointy Stick stuff and thought the admission and parking fee were too high.
Do I HAVE to use quarter-sawn oak to make a Craftsman-style Pointy Stick?
I think we ought to call Pointy Sticks "Pointed Sticks". It sounds less foo-foo.
I've been putting copious amounts of Danish oil on my Pointed Stick for several days and its all gooey. What did I do wrong?
While I was making an Pointy Stick, I had a kick-back on my table saw and the Pointy Stick got thrown back through my mid-section and skewered me to the shop wall. What should I do now? (Pics on ABPW)
What kind of wood is this Pointy Stick made out of? (Pics on ABPW)
I just finished a Pointy Stick for my first daughter/son/grandaughter/grandson/&tc.!!!!! (Pics on ABPW).
Does Puppy Wizard know what Pointy Sticks are for?
I though I saw a Pointy Stick project described in Shopnotes. Has Krunchy posted them in ABPW yet?
On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 17:28:51 -0700, J.B. Bobbitt wrote

Beware, ATF regulations require you to register said pointy stick and equip it with a serial number. Resale of pointy stick is unlawful!
... snip

That's only true in Massachussetts, New York City, and some areas of California. In other states, following approved training, one can obtain a PSCCP (Pointy-stick concealed carry permit).
Mon, Feb 28, 2005, 12:28am (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (J.B.Bobbitt) asks: <snip> Has JOAT posted free plans for a Pointy Stick, or do I have tobuy the plans? <snip>
I figure you guys are dangerous enough, without me contributing to your delinquincy. No atom bomb plans, no pointy stick plans.

I think we should split the group...
rec.woodworking.havemadeptystick rec.woodworking.havenotmadeptystick
Perhaps we can discuss moderating it at the same time...
TTFN
Robin Lee wrote:

stick at the border? Should I leave it at home so it doesn't impounded.
Does anyone have any plans for a secret compartment I can build into my car so I can smuggle my pointy stick across the border? Joe

psst....Joe...leave it at home. NO problem getting pointy sticks here in Kanuckistan... I'll hook you up ..
Robatoy wrote:

But aren't Canadian Pointy Sticks metric? Let's see, 25.4 mm per inch ... So a 1:6 softwood pointy stick point on a 10 mm stick diameter - in inches - is (I'm getting a head ache)
Why not make a secret compartment in a Simple Stick that'll hold your Pointy Stick "for transporting" - protecting the point and preventing children from injuring themselves. Or, how about a removable Pointy Stick point which can be kept separate from the stick component of the Pointy Stick when the assembled Pointy Stick is not in use?
And how about a device that would cause the "point" to retract into the "stick" and a large suction cup pop up over the end of the "stick" when the "point" comes within 1/1024th of an inch of an eye ball. And if OSHA can be persuaded to make it mandatory ...
Was the old wall mounted pencil sharpener the first helical wood planer?
Can a Pointy Stick point have a hardness greater than RC13? ( I think that's marble on the Moh's Scale) Will cryo- treatment significantly increase the hardness of high tannin content Point Sticks? What about woods with a high silica content like teak?
Is a Left Tilt Pointy Stick safer to use than a Right Tilt Pointy Stick?
Do you use the "point guard" on your Pointy Stick all the time or does it depend on what type of poking you're going to be doing?
When you're poking, how close to the "point" do you grip your Pointy Stick?
Has anyone experienced a "point back" or "stick back" when "poking", "scratching", "impressing" or "picking"? If so, have you figured out what went wrong and maybe what can be done to prevent it from happening again?
For Teeth Cleaning Pointy Sticks, what's the least gum tissue irritant wood? Are there any woods which should definitely not be used for this application?
Can the Euro 32 mm system be applied to Pointy Sticks?
charlie b Editor (who once again has bitten off way too much . . .) The Pointy Stick Compendium Project (soon to be shortened to TPSCP)