The Perils of Working For Friends

Page 5 of 7

All the software on the web forums I've been on give you the option to customize how your messages are displayed (mixed, threaded, reversed; for example), and the time period of messages to be displayed (last 24 hours, last two days, last week, etc.).
How your parameters are set determines how you see the messages. I always set mine so that all the newest messages are first. Seems the logical order of things.
Some software optionally quotes earlier messages in a separate box, other software doesn't, consequently top or bottom posting is never an issue.
At the risk of repeating myself, this would never be an issue if bottom posters would trim all but the relavent parts of the post to which they're replying instead of the whole friggin' thread. But they don't. My mission then is to top post (and vigorously edit) whenever possible to try and set a good example of how to logically communicate.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
OK, ok, Ok, I HAVE to chime in :-)
Just sitting here reading this thread - and although I am a top-poster - I am not a zealot, but gee - its so much easier for me as I read a thread, (knowing I am inside a thread you seeee...), and as I go from message to message, the next part of the conversation is the FIRST part I see - advantage to top posters.
When I strike bottom posters, or mid posters, as I go to next message, I have to LOCATE the releveant next bit....multiply this by the number of messages in a troll thread (oops) like this one, that has me sucked in, and it gets aggravating.
I date from 300/1200 push buttom manual connect modems, with no transfer resume xmodem protocols, that meant EVERY byte wasted hurt lots of people, I am now just coming in to the 90's.....:-)
Pls just try to picture me kicking back relaxing, reading my fav newsgroup, hitting next, read, next , read, next, o...scroll, look, scroll a little - ahh there, read, next, read, next, arggh scroll a little read, spit on screen, scroll, ah no more there, next....blahg blah blah. :-)
My tuppeny bit's worth..
Mike P.S. On topic bit - well, I have lost more tools than I can count over the years, and dome more unreturned favours than that. Why keep going? The gift is in the giving, not the condition of a return. Still are people who I would'nt give to, and the OP's people - pfft wouldn't even knock the top off a beer for em after the treatment first time - and I can see a LOOOOT of pain coming for OP if he doesnt heed the warning signs...
Ciao 4 Niao

*snip*

*snip* As do I, but my newsreader makes it easy. I press [shift]+[space] and it finds the unquoted text. Some posters don't use the same "greater than delimited" text format, so it doesn't always work. It works most of the time, though.
Puckdropper

I usually pick up a book and start reading FOLLOWING what I have read previously, and look back at the previous couple of paragraphs if I need a refresher on where I left off. I seldom expect Chapter 9 to now be at the front of the book, and have to scroll through multiple chapters to find the material most recently read.

On Thu, 31 Aug 2006 10:07:55 -0400, "Locutus"

If you do a poll of people who say "PIN number" or "ATM machine" you'll get results even more skewed than that--probably something like 300:1. And all 300 of those on "popular" side are wrong.
Guess who's the 1?
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

In IT, some of us have a similar issue with the phrase "NIC card".
todd

How about, "I got up at 6 AM in the morning."?
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

But don't get me started on 12:00 a.m and 12:00 p.m. <g>

Would that be Eastern time or Central time? Now, who knows what I'm talking about without having to scroll down and read?

you weren't replying, they'd sure know. <g>
Good point and well illustrated.

I do. Learn to clip and keep top posting and you'll have it.

I do. But I tend to remember the posts I'm interested in and or following. How about we all try posting in the middle for awhile ? That way everyone is pissed off :-) Jim

If you really want to piss folks off, start a new thread with each of your replies... damn, I hate when people do that... Mac
On Sat, 02 Sep 2006 10:21:10 -0700, mac davis

That's one of the reasons I can't get into web forums.
So many folks start the reply in the subject line, starting a new thread, making things impossible to follow.

One that always bugs me is "at this point in time"
either say "at this point" or "at this time"... Mac
" At this point in time" makes perfect sense. If one were to say "at this point", he did not specify what point he was referring to. It could be a point in the room, a point in the galaxy, the point on his head. By saying "at this point in time", he is specifying a specific point. Kind of like a car salesman standing in front of a lot of 500 cars and saying "this car is the best deal on the lot". Which car? He didn't say.

Love this side posting. Thanks for suggesting it.