The *past* of staircase making. Mind-boggling craftsmanship.

The pulpit staircase of Notre Dame de Montreal:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguarino/24854270720/in/album-72157663887274970/
The cathedral was begun in the late 1600s, but this pulpit, as well as the altar, was apparently made in the 1870s. It's almost impossible to convey the shape of the staircase in a photo. Here are a couple of others:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguarino/25031673912/in/album-72157663887274970/ https://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguarino/24281427874/in/album-72157663887274970/
Pretty much the entire interior of the cathedral is made of wood:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguarino/25240810096/in/album-72157663887274970/ https://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguarino/24782243359/in/album-72157663887274970/
Each pew is adorned with a different saint:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguarino/24519265314/in/album-72157663887274970/
We've been there before, but the sheer amount of detail means there's always something else to take notice of.
On 3/1/2016 6:45 AM, gdguarino wrote:

Pretty impressive and it immediately had me thinking back to Tom Plamann. He was a contributor her several years ago and did this type work.
On Tuesday, March 1, 2016 at 8:06:49 AM UTC-6, Leon wrote:

His work was jaw dropping. Such an artist and craftsman... a one of a kind.
Looking at his work always made me feel like a piker.
Robert
On 3/1/2016 7:45 AM, gdguarino wrote:

They probably used coal fired CNC machines and LeFestool
The castles and cathedrals of Europe are amazing. The craftsmanship is phenomenal do do today, but they did not have the tools we use today. I'd love to hop in a time machine just to spend a day watching the construction.
Things to ponder: During the millennial celebration there was an article on what was the most benificial invention of the last thousand years. The consensus seemed to be eye glasses. When did you start to wear them? Although apprentices started at a very early age what was their working life span? Granted their life span was not too great.
This is about machinists, but applies to all skilled trades. Guy Lautard in one of his Machinist's Bedside Readers tells the story of an apprentice test. They were give two pieces of flat steel stock. In one they were to make a hexagonal hole. The other a hexagon piece to fit precicely all six ways. All to be done with a file.
Last summer, in France at an old tool show, I bought a square. The legs were joined at a 45 deg. angle with a dove tail. I strongly suspect that this was a test piece. I would have trouble doing it with a milling machine let alone with a file.
CP
On Tue, 1 Mar 2016 11:20:02 -0500

due to the pace i doubt you would see much in a day
how many years did they take for a cathedral like this for example i think there are some cathedrals still under construction today mabe in spain but not sure
On 3/1/2016 7:45 AM, gdguarino wrote:

Absolutely beautiful! I wonder if they have ever retrofitted, or considered, a sprinkler system in this building to help preserve it in event of a fire.
Gil
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.cya says...

You might find it intersting to google "Loretto Chapel Staircase".
On 3/1/2016 6:08 PM, J. Clarke wrote:

I've seen that before, although not in person. Montreal is a lot closer to my house than New Mexico. I see that they have installed a couple of braces. There is a modern addition to the Notre Dame pulpit stairs as well: a support pole maybe 3' to the right of Jeremiah's elbow; you can just make it out if you click to enlarge this photo:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguarino/24854270720/in/album-72157663887274970/
On 3/1/2016 11:20 AM, Gil wrote:

I was curious about that, but couldn't find a definitive answer. There was apparently a catastrophic fire in the rear chapel back in 1968, but not in the main sanctuary. I read something brief about some renovations that had been done in the early Sixties, including some steps toward fire prevention, but the details (or possibly my French) were lacking.
On Tue, 1 Mar 2016 04:45:23 -0800 (PST)

mind boggling how much time they had on their hands way back then
On 3/2/2016 12:39 PM, Electric Comet wrote:

No electronics/internet to waste their time...
On Wed, 2 Mar 2016 16:11:04 -0500

exactly
not to say they did not waste any time at all but much fewer things to distract
On Tue, 1 Mar 2016 04:45:23 -0800 (PST), gdguarino

You are most fortunate to be able to view that in person. I wasn't even aware of its existence. Thank you for sharing.