The "Other" Way to Make Bowls & Boxes

I always enjoy new(er) good ideas when I come across them Here's another way to make bowls and boxes ... without a lathe. ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=_GG1R-D7W_A
#!

Very nice! Beautiful stuff she makes...
Marty wrote:

Yes, I found it quite interesting too! I'll remember the way she used Forstner bits.
She makes some really nice stuff. When I first ran across her book, I was amazed at the idea of making a bowl from a flat piece of wood.
I looked at my lathe and said, "well? what do you have to say for yourself now??" It still hasn't responded.
I haven't tried to make one of her bowls yet, but I did get a Dewalt scroll saw and plan on giving it a go this summer.
Hope I still remember my geometry! ;)

On 6/5/2012 8:33 AM, Casper wrote:

She does make very pretty stuff and here is another take on "ring" construction:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2n4uY9oJ-tA

This tool started out it's life at the Port-a-Nails plant in Wilmington,NC.
I have never heard the complete story on the tool but it does some cool craft stuff.

Thanks for the video link. I've never seen this tool before. I've been to several woodworking shows over the last ten years or so and have not once seen this tool shown. I'm surprised, especially since I think some scrollers and turners would love the idea.
It certainly would make cretion faster than cutting on the scrollsaw. I'm going to pass this on to the members of my turners guild and carvers guild. We don't have a local scrollers guild but we have plenty of folks in both others that own, use and love scrolling.
On 6/15/2012 6:37 AM, Casper wrote:

Yep...the craft crowd would love this thing. I'm not sure why it's not marketed more than it is, but I have seen on in person and it's for real.
Here is the web site I found:
http://www.ringmasterlathe.com /
Ya but I can cut scraps as narrow as 3/4 x 3/4 into segments all day on my cheap $59 miter saw . The price kills it for me.
Jerry
http://community.webtv.net/Jerryohio-2/LILOFFTOP http://community.webtv.net/Jerryohio-2/TomatoPlant