The Other Side of Home Depot

Threaded View
Click Here To Start a New Thread
Page 1 of 2
1
2 > last»

I know most of us take great pleasure in bashing Home Depot for their
frequent ineptness, and Craftsman for their... well just because :-)

Ocassionally though, Home Depot gets it right. They currently have a
sale going on in SE PA that gives up to a $300 instant rebate on
qualifying tools.

My son and I have been eyeballing their 80 gallon, two stage air
compressor for quite a while now. He likes to turn a wrench, and I like
to make large piles of sawdust, so we thought this would be more than
adequate for our needs. The problem was that I could never justify the
$1079 price tag when my little 6 gallon twin stack did OK most of the
time.

Well, it seems that air compressors were a qualifying item on this
instant rebate program, and this one in particular qualified for the
full $300 rebate. So for $779 this brand new, in the box, compressor
now has a new home. Today's job is wiring it up to a dedicated 220v
circuit!

How PO'ed would I have been if I would have bought it at the full price
:-)

Joe
aka 10x

Re: The Other Side of Home Depot
I betcha HD (or any other reputable purveyor) would honor a sale price on an
item bought within the last 30 days.

A basic management principle is one does not want to discourage a
prospective customer from spending money.

"I'm waiting for it to go on sale" is pretty discouraging to hear.

Re: The Other Side of Home Depot
My wife was buying some yard lights Friday at HD and saw the person
ahead of her show his military ID and get a discount so she slid out
her retired military dependent card and got 10 percent off and a
thank-you.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Re: The Other Side of Home Depot
Just for everyones info, Home Depot and Lowes gives 10% off everyday of
the year if you show a military ID (active duty or Retired).  All you
have to do is ask and show your ID.

Re: The Other Side of Home Depot
Nice!  Now take the money you saved and go buy a sandblast cabinet and a
Dynabrade palm sander and let me know how the compressor keeps up.  I've
been wanting to upgrade my 20-year old Sanborn 60-gallon single-stage to
a two-stage for a long time now, but like I've never wanted to fork over
the bucks.

So that rebate was a regional thing?  Wondering if it would also apply
here in Texas...

Re: The Other Side of Home Depot
Like, why did I stick that superfluous "like" in there?  Somebody put
Frank Zappa's "Valley Girl" in my mind the other day; it must still be
stuck in there...  :-)

--
See Nad.  See Nad go.  Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.

Like, OMG!

Re: The Other Side of Home Depot
Houston HD has a sign with varying degrees of discount. The largest is $300
off $1000 or more.

Re: The Other Side of Home Depot
I'm glad you qualified your statement with "most".  After living
within spitting distance of an HD, Lowe's, and an Orchard Supply
Hardware (both pre- and post- Sears) for the last 30 yrs, I gotta say
I REALLY miss 'em.  I'm now out in the Central Rockies, with ACE being
the only chain.  Lumber yards?  We have 2-3 in a two towns of 2K and
4K pop.  Small, privately owned, but it doesn't prevent me from
getting poor supplies, occasionally.  Prices?  High.  I was gonna use
stringer brackets for my deck steps till I realised they were over $6
each.  The biggest shock, imagine my astonishment when I discoverd
there was not a 2x4 or sheet of plywood to be had on Sunday.  All
closed.

nb

Re: The Other Side of Home Depot
notbob wrote:
I gather you're easily astonished... :)

Welcome to small-town America where we think retailers deserve a day off
as well and not everything has to run 24/7 (and generally find things
better for it)...

--

Re: The Other Side of Home Depot

Yes, I'm still looking for just the right hayseed to chew on.  ;)

nb

Re: The Other Side of Home Depot

Perhaps, but since most others work a more standard week, weekends are
all we have to spend money.  It would be nice if those who wanted that
money made it easy to spend it locally.  If they want the money to
stay local, perhaps they can take Wednesdays off and go golfing with
the doctors.  ...or Mondays and hang with the chefs.

Re: The Other Side of Home Depot
Maybe you should take up being one of them instead... :)

If one really has no freedom to run an errand during the day or
whatever, I'll agree that can be pita.  OTOH, most small-town employers
aren't so inflexible as big corporate employers tend to be.

Also, small-town businesses may well simply deliver what you want/need
for you while you're at work if you just call 'em up.  "Sure, J-Bob,
Freddy'll run it over and put it in the shed out back thar for ya' next
run...needin' anything else?"  :)

--

Re: The Other Side of Home Depot

It is not I who wishes to make money selling to others.  I work plenty
of weekends, M-F too.  I do what's needed to get the job done, so I
*can* afford to live (and toys too).

I worked for a "big corporate employer" (IBM), where I could leave at
will (didn't have any sick days, because if you were sick just stay
home, please).  I now work for a small LLC (100 employees) in a small
town that isn't so generous.

Ok, I need an 8' 2x4 and while you're at it, the parts for the
bathroom sink.

Re: The Other Side of Home Depot
Seems to vary with local management. I was a volunteer fireman in
Poughkeepsie and once got an urgent call at the lab to respond to a
serious fire. I stuck my head in the boss's office to let him know where
I was headed - and was told that I should stay put.

[ I replied that whether I went was not his decision, that it might be
/his/ house burning, and that the decision for /him/ to make was whether
I'd still have a job when I got back. (I did.) ]

Treat 'em well and they'll treat you well. I lived in the suburbs of
Cherry Grove, Minnesota (pop 45, mail was delivered from the post office
in Chester, Iowa) - a little over seven miles from the nearest lumber
yard in Spring Valley, Minnesota and recall conversations and deliveries
just as described.

The first time my stepfather visited us from Ann Arbor, he stopped on
the way in at the little bank in Spring Valley and asked if he could
cash a check. The clerk asked if she could see his checks, then asked if
he was related to me. When he said yes, she said: "No problem, we'll
cash your check," and when he offered identification she said: "We have
all the ID we need - how much cash would you like?" I don't think he
ever quite got over it.

It really is like a different universe.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Your manager was an ass.  I worked in P'ok for 19 years (and BTV for
15 after that) and *never* had a manager treat me, or anyone else,
like that.  We were always treated like adults.

The point being that I often don't know what I need before I take the
broken carcass to the store.

That happened in a bar in the P'ok area to my FIL.  I doubt it'll
happen today, though.

I am in a different universe now (East Alabama).  Mostly it's good,
shopping not so much. OTOH, Atlanta is only 100 miles up the road (a
little far for a 2x4 though).

Re: The Other Side of Home Depot

I suspect if you really had such an insufferable ego, it would be well
documented elswhere.  Since it's not, my guess is you're a wannabe
little amoeba in a dark room behind a crusty ol' keyboard with your
hand down your pants.

nb

Re: The Other Side of Home Depot
Well, that too, now that I've retired.

Re: The Other Side of Home Depot
On 9/8/2009 5:34 PM HeyBub spake thus:

Hey, Bub, don't back down now. Where's the bluster? The bombast? The
badinage? C'mon, don't disappoint us!

Re: The Other Side of Home Depot
All I can say about some posts is that the pharisaical, malefic, and
incognitant posts are a product of pointy-headed wowsers who, as a group,
are filled with cranks, pokenoses, blow-hards, four-flushers, and pettifogs.
Their foolish and contemptible products show up here, using us as a dumping
ground for deadwood so bereft of talent, intelligence, and endeavor as to be
useless.

These posters seem to be nothing but a rat bag of shoddy pedagogues,
athletes of the tongue, professional pick-nits filling the stupid hours of
their pointless days by nagging normal folk with inanities, which, if
printed, would be mere bum-wad fated to sit unread in the printer until the
sun expires. There they are, in a stuffy basement, with unwashed hair,
Wal-Mart blue jeans, batik print tent dresses, and off-brand running shoes,
the synthetic fibers from their fake Aran Island sweaters pilling at the
elbows, while they give each other high fives, shouting to each other
"Behold, ye dullards and despair!"

I do better after coffee.

Threaded View
Click Here To Start a New Thread