The Official "What I got for Christmas" thread...

Ummmmm... nope. In an electric, the pickups are coils and the movement of the string through the magnetic poles creates a current in the pickup which is transmitted to the amp. The amp doesn't provide any power to the guitar.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

I hated winamp too. FWIW.

Sorry it's not a more mainstream format, but I live in a Linux world, and I forget people are running something that doesn't support this (very common in our world) format out of the box.

But hey, now you know how I feel when Mom asks me to try to get the Windows Media Player 9 format videos on the stupid Survivor TV show web site to work. :) But I don't wannnnnna run Windows (or WINE)....

Reply to
Silvan

Not really. It helps me know when it's time to be thinking about it, but the variables that make a road freeze or not freeze are more complicated than the temperature of a probe taped to my mirror. It can be way below freezing with puddles standing on the road, or it can be above freezing with sheets of ice everywhere.

Reply to
Silvan

- a Bosch 1590 jigsaw

- a 2/10/50 automatic battery charger

- a 23,000 BTU kerosense heater for the gar....uh shop

3 days with my mom, my daughter, my son and my two grandsons(at Mom's house) along with visits from all 3 of my siblings, their spouses and neices and nephews galore.
Reply to
David Hall

That should tell you whether or not to expect black ice.

Weeellllll.... Could be, I suppose. Does the fact that I just added an

18GB SCSI drive to my tower (drive #6 in that box) just because I found a very fast drive for under $15 tell you anything? Maybe add the data that I am actually phasing out that machine and moving everything to a faster box, so I really need *less* storage on it than it currently has. I buy SCSI stuff just because it is so much fun to set the ID and watch it all work. Never that easy for EIDE stuff.

Tim Douglass

Tim Douglass

I've always figured no matter how good I get there are always at least

500,000 other guitar players who can whoop my ass. Same thing for flute and trumpet too. So I don't compete. I just have fun, and if anybody doesn't like my playing, I have a left cheek and a right cheek, and they can kiss either one they want. :)
Reply to
Silvan

Not only a dork, but a scuzzy dork.

Reply to
Silvan

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 19:37:47 -0500, "Mike Marlow" calmly ranted:

Oops, you're right. Those pickups -are- magnetic, aren't they? I sit corrected. (Too lazy to stand.)

So, how do those Erectionflummys work in the hybrid guitars without a pickup coil??

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - If God approved of nudity, we all would have been born naked. ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- -----

Your Wild & Woody Website Wonk

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 01:23:54 -0500, Silvan calmly ranted:

Good attitude. That means there are probably a million better than me.

Right, just don't put it to them that way. They might whup it instead.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - If God approved of nudity, we all would have been born naked. ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- -----

Your Wild & Woody Website Wonk

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Yeah, but it at least lets you *think* about it. Buddy & I running I80 east, closed down somewhere between foot of Snow Shoe & Buckhorn, so we detoured up around Williamsport by 220 and I180(?), back on I80, watching the mirrors for spray. About 2 mi. before Buckhorn the spray quit! He was about 1/2mi. ahead, jacked it and put front end up on a guard rail. I was a little more fortunate, got it to the side where there was a little roughness and got it stopped, then sat there waiting to get clobbered, but didn't.

Reply to
Norman D. Crow

It looks like they're usually piezoelectric. Like the starter button on a gas grill. Push the button, and it takes advantage of some electrical property of quartz (I think) to generate an electric current. The strings vibrating generate an electric current in this stuff, so it works in a similar principle to the magnetic pickups on an electric guitar. The pickup element is either a thin wafer on the inside, right under the bridge, or sometimes it's actually in the saddle itself.

I think this one has the pickup in the saddle. I've confirmed that it does have a factory-installed battery. These things have a pre-amp because the electrical signal they produce is considerably weaker than that produced by a magnetic pickup. I still haven't figure out how to get the damn battery door open without breaking anything. I guess I'm SOL when the battery wears out.

Reply to
Silvan

If you want to get better, just veneer your guitar with jummywood.

Reply to
Silvan

I think I *Know* 500,000 guitar players who are better than me ;-) I've always been a musician "wannabe", in High School and college years I was a drummer, now I attempt to make guitar-like sounds. Generally I don't play in public out of deference to the delicate sensibilities of any real musicians around. I keep telling myself that if I could just make more time to practice...

Tim Douglass

Tim Douglass

Back in the 80s I sang at church with a beautiful redhead who was a great singer and picker. She headed off to Nashville to make her fortune, but was back in a couple of months.

"Dick," she said, "I'm good, but there are two thousand waitresses in Nashville that are better than me." We were glad to have her back singing with us on Sunday morning.

Reply to
Olebiker

Coupla ways. Most acoustic guitars with a pickup have one under the saddle (bridge), and it's pizeo-electric. Little crystals that generate current when caused to vibrate. Higher end guitars like Taylors and some others use this and a condenser microphone located inside the body of the guitar. These typically have a mixer that enables the player to balance between the two pickup sources, since pizeos and condenser mics provide much different sounds.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

A Delta Midi Lathe One of those laser levels that make an x on the wall mounted on a tripod. A reciprocating saw Yet another multi-purpose folding pliers and knife set (still haven't opened the last two I got!)

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

Reply to
Prometheus

Good on ya. I remember those old sharpeners- and they are pretty nice!

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

Reply to
Prometheus

Prometheus wrote: [snip]

Just got an email a bit ago from Northern Tool. They have one on sale for $9. See

May get one myself. mahalo, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

Shame on you. Haven't you ever listened to Miles Davis?

Reply to
Prometheus

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 00:06:29 -0600, Prometheus calmly ranted:

Yes, and on some songs, he's hot as hell. Some other stuff (and all Al Hirt stuff I remember hearing) is just as endearing as an automobile horn. I guess my ears are sensitive to horns. I like most trumpet if it's muted and not too showy.

-- Save the Endangered ROAD NARROWS! -|-

Ban SUVs today! -|- Full Service Websites

Reply to
Larry Jaques