The Official "What I got for Christmas" thread...

Silvan wrote: [snip]

No whats about it. j4

Reply to
jo4hn

Yup.

Yes. I haven't really used it yet. Didn't get a chance to play with it today. It looks like the disadvantage of the flexy holder thing is that you have to use scrapers that are cut to a size that fits it. Since the big daddy everything for 20% off scraper combo deal has a scraper with the scraper holder and a scraper with the burnisher and four scrapers in a different package, I probably have it covered for a long time anyway.

The burnisher flummy is pretty cool. I had experimented with burnishing the iron from a defunct block plane, so I had some idea what the business was all about. It could be just because the carbide rod is really *hard*, or it could be the way it lets you set the angle precisely, but it seems to definitely be a better way to burnish than the ol' screwdriver. By which I mean, easy, consistent, good results. It's a good piece of gadgetry.

On my someday list too, but it's a long and expensive someday list. My LV basket that isn't my basket is up to $3,500. Urk.

Reply to
Silvan

damn. no vorbis player on this box. and I wanted to hear it, too...

Reply to
bridger

first stone the edge and roll the burr. then take it back to the stone and clean up the end of the scraper. the burr will push out past the end just a little bit, where it's just waiting for a chance to dig in.

this work requires patience. I want patience, and I want it now!

Reply to
bridger

It's not worth much trouble, really. If you're that desperate, I'll mail you a CD. I don't have an MP3 encoder handy, and the 28 MB .wav file is a bit more than my 10 MB free web space will accommooddaattee. Whoops, too many doubled letters. accommoddate. accommodate. Yeah, that last one.

Reply to
Silvan

On 25 Dec 2004 05:16:45 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@kreusch.com vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

nothing nada zilch nichts zero nix null bugger all

Reply to
Old Nick

Allegedly (from the catalog pages/circa 1980) it's 450ish lbs. but I think that's crated. I'm figuring 350ish lbs. once it's all set up.

Currently it resides at a friends shop in Omaha (it was bought at auction in central Neb.) He reports good things. Another owner (via the OWWM) also says nice things about the model.

Me? I'm tickled, just that I have to figure out how to get it from there to here without it costing me the entire purchase price all over again.

sigh...

UA100, who knows now how the dog who chased cars all his life feels after one day catching one...

Reply to
Unisaw A100

Get one of the many scraper holders sold commercially and take the tape off your thumbs. I refused for years, then used the one in the "set" I got my kid from Lee Valley. Ordered one within a week.

Reply to
George

There's your problem. I mean what do you use for a bow?

- - LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

LRod

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 01:24:28 -0500, Silvan calmly ranted:

Felix the Cat said "Rightio!" in a voice that would stand the hair up on the back of your neck.

Silly Wrecker, Kicks are for Trids.

I saw those "electroacoustic" references on Ebay and wondered WTF they were. I guess the amp powers the electronics.

I'm sure some do, but they're cheaper from Chiwan.

How could it sound otherwise?

Ditto here. I gave up on the fiddle. It hurt my neck and had a nearly vertical learning curve.

Downloading WinAmp...

Hmmm, the flute sounds somehow flat, and the playing, well, you said it best. My next wooden instrument (I should say "first") will be a bamboo flute. I'm looking around the area for free bamboo now. Then I'll be able to compete with you for any errant flautist awards.

------------------------------------------------- - Boldly going - * Wondrous Website Design - nowhere. - *

Larry Jaques

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 23:55:21 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@all.costs calmly ranted:

Google WinAmp, Bridgy.

------------------------------------------------- - Boldly going - * Wondrous Website Design - nowhere. - *

Larry Jaques

I think vibration powers the electronics. It must be a similar principle to an electric guitar. Plug it in, and it works, little red light or not. The EQ and whatnot work too.

It would be nice to get some instructions for the thing, but I didn't turn up anything.

Though I did discover that those POS "First Act" axes they're selling at Wal-Mart use exactly the same little black dongle inside. I suspect they're probably off the same assembly line. Whee. Oh well.

Doesn't make sense. Wages in Mexico obviously must not be very good, and it would surely be cheaper to ship something from there than from all the way on the other side of the planet.

:)

No, no, you're supposed to suck it up and say something encouraging while giving everyone standing around you a knowing look. :)

Let me know how it goes. I've never been able to figure out where to put the tone holes, or how big to make them. Things like that are tricky to tune because you can change the pitch a good bit by varying your embouchure, so it's easy to chase the needle a different way for each hole, and wind up with a mess. I didn't get as far as bamboo. None of my PVC prototypes came out right at all.

Reply to
Silvan

A Bosch sliding compound miter saw. After using a Delta compound miter saw for several years, I am ecstatic about having a quiet, accurate saw to throw sawdust all over the gara... er, shop. I sold the Delta to a co-worker who insists on telling people it is a radial arm saw.

One of these days I am going to invent a really good miter saw dust collection system and get fabulously rich in the process.

Dick Durbin

Reply to
Olebiker

but I don't wanna run winamp....

Reply to
bridger

Has it warned you about the black ice in time to get off the road?

Reply to
Norman D. Crow

I'm a newbie, and we have a limited budget. I've been looking at table saws & my wife wanted to get me one for Christmas. I was looking at the lower end Deltas, but nobody seemed all that happy about them. When I Googled this newsgroup about them a while back, I ran across a suggestion for the Ryobi BT3100. I Googled that & liked what I saw. It was a bit more than we wanted to spend, but the wife ok'd it. It's now sitting in my entry way, waiting for me to clean out the garage. :-) Thanks to those who recommended it. Now to get a router, a joiner, a bunch of clamps, a biscuit joiner, a planer, etc., etc., etc....

Reply to
Jerry Shickler

My parents have had a Boston mounted in the shed off the kitchen for as long as I can remember. Best pencil sharpener I've ever used.

Reply to
Jerry Shickler

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I think I love guitars because they are beautiful woodworking and serve a practical purpose (or could, theoretically, if I had either skill or talent). For Christmas I blew a big wad on a nice acoustic/electric for my 15 yo son, who has both skill and talent and a very good ear. Now he won't play my guitar, (that I can't play) and will hopefully continue getting better.

Tim Douglass

Tim Douglass

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 10:22:38 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@all.costs calmly ranted:

Neither did I, but two other progs wouldn't work in Vinders.

------------------------------------------------- - Boldly going - * Wondrous Website Design - nowhere. - *

Larry Jaques

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 10:37:03 -0500, Silvan calmly ranted:

In an electric, the amp powers the pickup coils which react to the moving string in its magnetic field.

Yes, they very probably are.

Wages in Mexico are probably ten times that of most of China. And the Chinese have their own VERY large container ships run by Chinese at better than Chinese wages (but surely well below the American or Mexican sailor's wages.)

Oh. Mebbe next time, huh, fella?

I bought the book. It's about 400 words and lots of pictures made into a little 44 page book, but it has the right info. "Simple Flutes" by Mark Shepherd. $8 amazon, $7 Ebay.