The Official "What I got for Christmas" thread...

Page 6 of 8
It may not seem like much, but I got one of those digital meat thermometers that Lee Valley Tools sells. Being the technology geek that I am, I got a great charge from using it on the roast beef dinner I had for Christmas. The meat was cooked to perfection. I must have run into the kitchen at least two dozen times to see the temperature climb in the digital read out sitting on the stove. I watched the last ten minutes as the temperature matched the adjustable alarm and the buzzer went off.
Small things amuse small minds I guess. Just another toy I guess, but I liked it.

When I bought and installed our Duet front loading washing machine, I sat and watched the entire 34 minute cycle the first time I ran it. It was a lot more interesting than you might think. This ain't your mama's washer.
- - LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net

Heh. I got one of those indoor/outdoor thermometers with the wireless remote for outside. I spent most of Christmas day watching the temperature go up by two tenths of a degree then drop again. I'm *way* to easily amused by anything involving technology.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com
Have you ordered a Starrett temperature gauge calibrator yet?
David
Tim Douglass wrote:

Tim Douglass wrote: <snip>

When you get bored with watching the one you have, get one or two others and set the displays side-by-side. Try to guess which of them is correct. <g>
The two that I have now consistently read 1.5 to 2.5 degrees apart. I do have a third (that I can calibrate) to check the first two, but I haven't become sufficiently motivated/irritated to do so, yet.
R, Tom Q.
Remove bogusinfo to reply.
On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 00:15:37 GMT, Tom Quackenbush

The remote shows about 1.2 degrees cooler than the inside unit, which makes it about in agreement with the thermostat, which I suspect is a bit high, so I think the wall unit may be pretty close to accurate, but I'm not going to get worked up over a degree here or there. It is fascinating to see how the temp will rise for an hour or so, then dip down 3-4 degrees before rising again, then falling etc. I was trying to plot the cloud cover by watching it warm up after dark when the clouds moved in.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com
Tim Douglass wrote:

I have one of those things on the mirror of my truck. It's fascinating to see how the temperature varies from one spot to another. There's a parking lot I sleep in regularly that's almost always 10 degrees warmer than the street in front of it. Even at night. Really black asphalt. I'm always getting up, taking off most of my clothes, thinking it's going to be a really warm day, then freezing my butt off when I get down the road a little ways and realize I was far too hasty ditching the long johns.
One of these days I want to get one of those laser flummies I've heard about. You're supposed to be able to shoot them at the road and measure the temperature difference between the black road and the white stripes as you fly by. Whee.
Are we a coupla dorks or what? :)
Silvan wrote: [snip]

    j4
<snip>

Has it warned you about the black ice in time to get off the road?
--
Nahmie
Those on the cutting edge bleed a lot.
Norman D. Crow wrote:

Not really. It helps me know when it's time to be thinking about it, but the variables that make a road freeze or not freeze are more complicated than the temperature of a probe taped to my mirror. It can be way below freezing with puddles standing on the road, or it can be above freezing with sheets of ice everywhere.

Yeah, but it at least lets you *think* about it. Buddy & I running I80 east, closed down somewhere between foot of Snow Shoe & Buckhorn, so we detoured up around Williamsport by 220 and I180(?), back on I80, watching the mirrors for spray. About 2 mi. before Buckhorn the spray quit! He was about 1/2mi. ahead, jacked it and put front end up on a guard rail. I was a little more fortunate, got it to the side where there was a little roughness and got it stopped, then sat there waiting to get clobbered, but didn't.
--
Nahmie
Those on the cutting edge bleed a lot.
On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 01:31:52 -0500, Silvan

That should tell you whether or not to expect black ice.

Weeellllll.... Could be, I suppose. Does the fact that I just added an 18GB SCSI drive to my tower (drive #6 in that box) just because I found a very fast drive for under $15 tell you anything? Maybe add the data that I am actually phasing out that machine and moving everything to a faster box, so I really need *less* storage on it than it currently has. I buy SCSI stuff just because it is so much fun to set the ID and watch it all work. Never that easy for EIDE stuff.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com
Tim Douglass wrote:

Not only a dork, but a scuzzy dork.
- Norris A5 smoother plane, circa 1925 - antique folding rule from England with brass angle gauge. - two Bessey 24/40 panel clamp sets - Porter Cable 557 plate joiner - subscription to fine woodworking magazine - miscellaneous stocking stuffer items
Bob
I got an Occidental, burgandy, leather tool belt.
Larry
BillyBob wrote:

You ssssssssssssssssssssssSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I got hugs! Nothing else mattered!
I have all the tools I could imagine, at least for my use. I buy what I want so I don't expect tools for presents. Greg

You got your priorities right there fella. What's your dog's name anyway? :-)
Bob
No hugs from the pooch, just kisses! Greg

A Modine HotDawg 75K BTU shop heater.
Rick