The Official "What I got for Christmas" thread...

Page 5 of 8
Larry Jaques wrote:

If you want to get better, just veneer your guitar with jummywood.
On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 01:23:54 -0500, Silvan

I think I *Know* 500,000 guitar players who are better than me ;-) I've always been a musician "wannabe", in High School and college years I was a drummer, now I attempt to make guitar-like sounds. Generally I don't play in public out of deference to the delicate sensibilities of any real musicians around. I keep telling myself that if I could just make more time to practice...
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com
Back in the 80s I sang at church with a beautiful redhead who was a great singer and picker. She headed off to Nashville to make her fortune, but was back in a couple of months.
"Dick," she said, "I'm good, but there are two thousand waitresses in Nashville that are better than me." We were glad to have her back singing with us on Sunday morning.

Heh. I can appreciate that. My kids wondered why I thought getting a Boston pencil sharpener at a garage sale was such a big deal. Way better than anything else. Even electric. You have *control* with these babies. Quickly take down the dull or broken (or new) point, then back off the pressure on the pencil and get a nice fine point.
On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 21:30:13 GMT, "Keith Carlson"

I have a metal Boston pencil sharpener in the shop. It is very useful. My sister gave it to me for a Christmas present about 40 years ago. What a wonderful gift!
Michael Baglio wrote:

No, they're not. They're just as crappy as the plastic ones. One of the biggest problems they all have is they only have one cutter instead of two.
I feel your pain, brother. I sharpen pencils on my belt sander.

Cool gloat. You suck!
On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 00:09:30 -0500, Silvan

Hey! I had a gloat! "May that be truly said of us, and all of us! And so, as Tiny Tim observed, God Bless Us, Every One!"
Michael Baglio

<snip>
The fellow from whom I bought this house some years ago left just such a one here when he moved out, nailed to the door jamb in what is now my shop, what with the automobiles having been suitibly evicted.
Best bit of handyman work he did on the place. I understand, however, that he is one heck of an accountant.
Patriarch
My parents have had a Boston mounted in the shed off the kitchen for as long as I can remember. Best pencil sharpener I've ever used.
--

Jerry

"Michael Baglio" < snipped-for-privacy@nc.rr.com> wrote in message

Good on ya. I remember those old sharpeners- and they are pretty nice!
Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

The wife and I have a deal going...I don't try to buy her scrapbook stuff and she doesn't buy tools. ;-) I pulled the trigger a week or so ago when Amazon offered the Jet Mini Lathe for $175 shipped, so I told the little woman that was my Christmas gift. She responded by buying $100 of paper. For today, she gave me "The New Best Recipe" from the folks at Cook's Illustrated.
todd
A Boice-Crane No. 1227 6" Belt Stroke Sander.
sigh...
UA100
| A Boice-Crane No. 1227 6" Belt Stroke Sander. | | sigh... | | UA100
A complete set of 1/ inch router bits for creating raised panel doors and a crying towel for when I am on the golf course. --
PDQ

six or sixty?
Nice score. Think you'll keep her? :)
patrick conroy wrote:

6" X 169" belt to be exactual. Here's a picture of one the same vintage.
http://www.owwm.com/PhotoIndex/detail.asp?id 29
Mine is the same down to the horse anna half single phase motor. Condition of mine is a wee bit less than Louis' but it's still plug 'n play.

Cha? I've been hunting for one for the past two years. For now it sits in the shop of a friend in Omaha. I just need to set aside a couple of days for the "out 'n back".
UA100

Wow, that's a serious hunk of iron. How much does that puppy weigh? [I'm thinking that must be one stable piece in operation].
Mark & Juanita wrote:

Allegedly (from the catalog pages/circa 1980) it's 450ish lbs. but I think that's crated. I'm figuring 350ish lbs. once it's all set up.

Currently it resides at a friends shop in Omaha (it was bought at auction in central Neb.) He reports good things. Another owner (via the OWWM) also says nice things about the model.
Me? I'm tickled, just that I have to figure out how to get it from there to here without it costing me the entire purchase price all over again.
sigh...
UA100, who knows now how the dog who chased cars all his life feels after one day catching one...
On 25 Dec 2004 05:16:45 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@kreusch.com wrote:

Replacement stereo for the shop (the CD player on the existing one had died, no amount of dust blowing would bring it back)
Flannel shirts for these chilly AZ days
Mom and Dad in town from Denver to spend time with the family
The enjoyment of watching my son enjoy Christmas, both the true meaning of Christmas and sharing that during the Christmas program, and also the joy of giving and receiving presents with/from relatives and friends.
6 hp shop vac

Doug Stowe's latest book!
Rob
--