The Official "What I got for Christmas" thread...

Page 4 of 8
LRod wrote:

Nope. I don't have a clue what you're talking about, sorry. I don't watch much TV.
On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 12:38:36 -0500, Silvan

You even had to paint them for her? Oh, GS project. Green it is.

Hey, don't lay that line on me, man. They're few and far between, but some things are better done with powah tools. And how do you smooth those deep crevices in wood without a rubber doodad, huh, huh, huh? Scrape when you can, sand the rest if necessary.

The one I'm selling is from Over There 2, too. It's a no-name acoustic.

Same here 'cept for the inlay.

So warm it, remove it, and reglue it, son. Piece o' cake duck soup.

Erectionfrummy? Whassat?

According to an ex-Wrecker part-time instrument mechanic friend, 90% of all guitars come from either Korea or (lesser) China. I looked at the importation stats and we get over 300,000 Chinese violins and over a million units of other stringed instruments annually. That amazed me.

Sure you wouldn't settle for an import electric guitar with the speaker built into the body? Tres chic, wot?
------------------------------------------------------------- * * Humorous T-shirts Online * Norm's Got Strings * Wondrous Website Design * * http://www.diversify.com -------------------------------------------------------------
Larry Jaques wrote:

Right-o.
Those deep crevices in wood are usually put there with routahs. :)

I don't have suitable clamps. Plus it hasn't come off yet. I'm waiting. I've been waiting for at least 12 years. I can get a pick under it now. I'm tempted to put it in the shop and get it worked over good. New frets, fix the bridge, come up with a new saddle. It's definitely not worth it from a purely economic standpoint. I could fix it myself, probably, but let's face it. It ain't gonna get done if it waits for me to get around to tackling it.

I'm not really sure. The instructions suck, and I can't see inside it enough to guess quite how the pickup works. I think it's under the bridge, and it picks up vibrations in the top. It has a little red LED on it, and I have no idea what that means. I have some vague idea you're supposed to put a 9V battery in there, but I can't figure out how to get it open, and it seems to work just fine without it.

Wow. You'd think more guitars would come out of Mexico. There are lots of little old men in Mexico who can make a guitar with nothing more than a hatchet and some horse hide.

Um. :)
Actually, I might not mind having something like that to really irritate people on camping trips, unless it sounded completely lame.
I'm not a big electric guy. Not a big guitar guy either. I've been playing 15 years, and I suck. People say "Play something" and I can't play much of anything anybody recognizes. I've just never really tried to learn popular songs. I just fiddle with the thing.
eg.:
http://users.adelphia.net/~silvan/10ambulation.ogg
(I'm playing flute and didgeridoo too, and yes, the flute does sound like shit, thanks for noticing. :)
On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 01:24:28 -0500, Silvan

damn. no vorbis player on this box. and I wanted to hear it, too...
snipped-for-privacy@all.costs wrote:

It's not worth much trouble, really. If you're that desperate, I'll mail you a CD. I don't have an MP3 encoder handy, and the 28 MB .wav file is a bit more than my 10 MB free web space will accommooddaattee. Whoops, too many doubled letters. accommoddate. accommodate. Yeah, that last one.
On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 23:55:21 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@all.costs calmly ranted:

Google WinAmp, Bridgy.
------------------------------------------------- - Boldly going - * Wondrous Website Design - nowhere. - * http://www.diversify.com -------------------------------------------------
On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 06:30:47 -0800, Larry Jaques

<whiny voice> but I don't wanna run winamp.... </whiny voice>
On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 10:22:38 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@all.costs calmly ranted:

Neither did I, but two other progs wouldn't work in Vinders.
------------------------------------------------- - Boldly going - * Wondrous Website Design - nowhere. - * http://www.diversify.com -------------------------------------------------
snipped-for-privacy@all.costs wrote:

I hated winamp too. FWIW.
Sorry it's not a more mainstream format, but I live in a Linux world, and I forget people are running something that doesn't support this (very common in our world) format out of the box.
But hey, now you know how I feel when Mom asks me to try to get the Windows Media Player 9 format videos on the stupid Survivor TV show web site to work. :) But I don't wannnnnna run Windows (or WINE)....
On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 01:24:28 -0500, Silvan

There's your problem. I mean what do you use for a bow?
- - LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net
On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 01:24:28 -0500, Silvan

Felix the Cat said "Rightio!" in a voice that would stand the hair up on the back of your neck.

Silly Wrecker, Kicks are for Trids.

I saw those "electroacoustic" references on Ebay and wondered WTF they were. I guess the amp powers the electronics.

I'm sure some do, but they're cheaper from Chiwan.

How could it sound otherwise?

Ditto here. I gave up on the fiddle. It hurt my neck and had a nearly vertical learning curve.

WTF is an "ogg" file?!? (Googling, finding Vorbis...) Downloading WinAmp...

Hmmm, the flute sounds somehow flat, and the playing, well, you said it best. <dg&r> My next wooden instrument (I should say "first") will be a bamboo flute. I'm looking around the area for free bamboo now. Then I'll be able to compete with you for any errant flautist awards.
------------------------------------------------- - Boldly going - * Wondrous Website Design - nowhere. - * http://www.diversify.com -------------------------------------------------
Larry Jaques wrote:

I think vibration powers the electronics. It must be a similar principle to an electric guitar. Plug it in, and it works, little red light or not. The EQ and whatnot work too.
It would be nice to get some instructions for the thing, but I didn't turn up anything.
Though I did discover that those POS "First Act" axes they're selling at Wal-Mart use exactly the same little black dongle inside. I suspect they're probably off the same assembly line. Whee. Oh well.

Doesn't make sense. Wages in Mexico obviously must not be very good, and it would surely be cheaper to ship something from there than from all the way on the other side of the planet.

:)
No, no, you're supposed to suck it up and say something encouraging while giving everyone standing around you a knowing look. :)

Let me know how it goes. I've never been able to figure out where to put the tone holes, or how big to make them. Things like that are tricky to tune because you can change the pitch a good bit by varying your embouchure, so it's easy to chase the needle a different way for each hole, and wind up with a mess. I didn't get as far as bamboo. None of my PVC prototypes came out right at all.
On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 10:37:03 -0500, Silvan

In an electric, the amp powers the pickup coils which react to the moving string in its magnetic field.

Yes, they very probably are.

Wages in Mexico are probably ten times that of most of China. And the Chinese have their own VERY large container ships run by Chinese at better than Chinese wages (but surely well below the American or Mexican sailor's wages.)

Oh. Mebbe next time, huh, fella?

I bought the book. It's about 400 words and lots of pictures made into a little 44 page book, but it has the right info. "Simple Flutes" by Mark Shepherd. $8 amazon, $7 Ebay.
------------------------------------------------- - Boldly going - * Wondrous Website Design - nowhere. - * http://www.diversify.com -------------------------------------------------

Ummmmm... nope. In an electric, the pickups are coils and the movement of the string through the magnetic poles creates a current in the pickup which is transmitted to the amp. The amp doesn't provide any power to the guitar.

--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

Oops, you're right. Those pickups -are- magnetic, aren't they? I sit corrected. (Too lazy to stand.)
So, how do those Erectionflummys work in the hybrid guitars without a pickup coil??
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - If God approved of nudity, we all would have been born naked. ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- http://www.diversify.com Your Wild & Woody Website Wonk
Larry Jaques wrote:

It looks like they're usually piezoelectric. Like the starter button on a gas grill. Push the button, and it takes advantage of some electrical property of quartz (I think) to generate an electric current. The strings vibrating generate an electric current in this stuff, so it works in a similar principle to the magnetic pickups on an electric guitar. The pickup element is either a thin wafer on the inside, right under the bridge, or sometimes it's actually in the saddle itself.
I think this one has the pickup in the saddle. I've confirmed that it does have a factory-installed battery. These things have a pre-amp because the electrical signal they produce is considerably weaker than that produced by a magnetic pickup. I still haven't figure out how to get the damn battery door open without breaking anything. I guess I'm SOL when the battery wears out.

Coupla ways. Most acoustic guitars with a pickup have one under the saddle (bridge), and it's pizeo-electric. Little crystals that generate current when caused to vibrate. Higher end guitars like Taylors and some others use this and a condenser microphone located inside the body of the guitar. These typically have a mixer that enables the player to balance between the two pickup sources, since pizeos and condenser mics provide much different sounds.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 01:24:28 -0500, Silvan

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I think I love guitars because they are beautiful woodworking and serve a practical purpose (or could, theoretically, if I had either skill or talent). For Christmas I blew a big wad on a nice acoustic/electric for my 15 yo son, who has both skill and talent and a very good ear. Now he won't play my guitar, (that I can't play) and will hopefully continue getting better.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com
Tim Douglass wrote:

I've always figured no matter how good I get there are always at least 500,000 other guitar players who can whoop my ass. Same thing for flute and trumpet too. So I don't compete. I just have fun, and if anybody doesn't like my playing, I have a left cheek and a right cheek, and they can kiss either one they want. :)
On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 01:23:54 -0500, Silvan

Good attitude. That means there are probably a million better than me.

Right, just don't put it to them that way. They might whup it instead.