The Official "What I got for Christmas" thread...

Page 3 of 8
Patriarch wrote:

Ditto.
UA100, who thinks Lee Valley should be nice enough to supply a small stack of Post-Its with every catalog...

Land's End, or maybe it was LL Bean, used to do just that. Made it SO much easier, when browsing in the primary reading room. ;-)
Patriarch
Bob G. wrote:

I know what you mean. A few years back I was hinting for this set of chisels (leaving catalogues with things circled in different parts of the house). On Christmas morning SWMBO was so proud because of the money she saved in getting me the chisels I wanted at WalMart rather than those over-priced ones in the catalogue.
I didn't have the heart to tell her. I later ordered the set I wanted and had them shipped to me at work.
Glen
Glen wrote:

Ugh. I would have told her. I've even made her take things back. We just don't have enough money floating around to waste it on something completely useless. Fortunately, she listens. She was going to buy me some flummy or other at Wal-Mart, but wanted me to look it over first. I pointed out that it just wouldn't be very useful at all, and was a bad value. She knows I *use* these things, so she doesn't get too snitty about it in situations like this.
So I wound up doing my own Christmas shopping this year, and padded the bank account of that evil Kanukistani tool pimp a bit in the process. Why, I even found gifts for SWMBO among the tool pimp's pages.
The look on her face when she saw "Lee Valley" on one of her packages was actually pretty priceless.
On the actual day:
Delta OSS Shop Apron Set of 3 glue bottles Incra miter slider piece of 20x30 - 7ply 3/8 inch Finland birch ply (to make a new/better sled)
From Dec 26 of last year to Dec 24 of 2004:
Jet 9/48 disc belt sander Delta mortising machine PC pin nailer A set of Bessey 24/40 clamps
-------
2005 might be the year to replace my 15+ year old imported TS w/cheapo fence with something more in keeping with my now "advanced" skills - at least, that's the line I'm using on SWMBO!
Have a great, safe holiday everyone!
Lou
I told my bride that there was only one thing I really wanted (for the shop) this Christmas.
I wanted one particular tool. A tool that isn't commonly available any longer. A tool that has been so cheapened over the years that using one is, at best, a singularly unpleasant experience. A tool that, (if they only made them like they used to), the using of which would be everything using a great tool is _supposed_ to be.
When she asked what I _really_ wanted, I looked her straight in the eye and said:
"Alice, I want a pencil sharpener."
Her eyebrows went up.
"Honey, I want a pencil sharpener like we used as kids. The kind that are all metal, and when you turn the crank you can feel finely machined solid cutting edges shearing shavings off of wood, producing a perfect point on the lead."
Her eyebrows were still up.
"Honey, you need to understand this. Pencil sharpeners today are crap. They're plastic. They don't cut for squat. They don't hold the pencil firmly at all, so as you just start to get a really good point, the pencil shifts in the crappy plastic holder part and the point snaps off. The electric ones are okay, but weird as this sounds there's something just _wrong_ about sharpening pencils electrically."
Her eyebrows went down and she got a puzzled look on her face. "Why don't you just go to the office supply store and buy one?"
I laughed out loud. "Go 'head, Santa. Try to find one."
She did. She couldn't. She asked at the stores. She asked friends. Her friends told her her husband was strange. :)
God bless her, she finally found one. A _real_ one. A Boston 55, just like they used to have on the wall in 4th grade, complete with the dial on the face with the different sized holes.
It weighs _pounds._ You can just tell, this thing is going to last forever.
Restoration Hardware. I don't know whether I'm more happy that RH carried them or sad that an item as cool (in it's own way) as this has to be sold in a "retro" Yuppie "hardware" store. <sigh>
I can't wait to go out to the shop and mount this thing on the wall. I'm the happiest kid on the block.
Michael Baglio
Congratulations Michael! I sounds like you've got a keeper! Not sure how Alice found time to do all that hunting with her school work but it sure is clear she cares for you - even if you are strange.
Best wishes to you and Alice. TWS

FWIW, Office Depot carries it online for $26. I might have to make an order. Staples carries it, too, but they want $40. http://www.officedepot.com/txtSearchPOC.do?uniqueSearchFlag=true&Ntt 8988&x=8&y=9
todd

Believe it or not, I know exactly what you mean. My FIL was a maintenance person for a school district until he retired; he provided me with one of those Boston 55's that was going to be thrown away when they were doing some remodeling. The finish is a little rough (probably why it was going to be tossed -- it wasn't worthy of a spanky-new particle board and laminate sparkling classroom), but it sharpens pencils just as I remember from grade school. I haven't yet figured out where it best fits in the reconfigured shop, so it's sitting on a window sill, being employed by manually holding it down, I'll eventually figure out a good, solid, out of the way place (for its safety) on which to mount it.
Mark & Juanita wrote:

You dawg! Those are/were the best. Gray, right?

Somewhere by the shoppe phone. That would be my location.
UA100, who still uses his Bostich B8 stapler from a hunnert years ago onna 'count of it works...

Mine's more of a brown color.

That might be a good location, I don't *think* I swing a lot of heavy stuff right around there.

Mark & Juanita wrote:

Ahhhhhhhh! That's right.
Wow! I just had a memory wave accompanied by a whiff of chalk smell.
UA100, who thinks Lee Valley ought to maybe carry the pencil sharpener in it's catalog...

They do.
djb (who got nothing wooddorking-related for Christmas)
calmly ranted:

--snip of typical yet tragic tool obsolescence--

Atta Girl! And congrats on the gloat. Now you can tell all your friends your wife bought you a wood planer with spiral-cutter heads for Christmas and watch their eyes pop out when you show it to 'em. <g>

I'm wit chu, Mikey. I have one of those on my shop door jamb. Mine's a newer chrome and rust plated Swingline job, one size only, which is fine with me. I don't use those carpenter's pencils in the shop, only nicely sharpened standard pencils. And that scent when you open it to empty the pencil shavings has such memories...
For anyone else who wants one, look on Ebay for "crank pencil sharpener" or "Sanford sharpener" and ye shall find it. $8.66 + $7.66 shipping (? Those leaches.)
--
The State always moves slowly and grudgingly towards any purpose that
accrues to society's advantage, but moves rapidly and with alacrity

--------snip----------
I got a nice one for a quarter at a yard sale. It's a Apsco V-10T with a vacuum base. It's screwed to the wall, however, and has the added utility of holding my ear muffs so I can find them. I use those fat kindergarten pencils and this sharpener handles them very well.
Larry
Larry Jaques wrote:

ROTFL! Thank you for that, Monsieur Jacques. That made my day.

Yeah, if you can find real pencils. It's possible, but increasingly difficult. Most pencils are made out of some incredibly lame plastic foam crap these days. No wonder you can get 500 pencils for $2.36. They're not worth two cents for the whole lot of them.
On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 00:13:17 -0500, Silvan

I try harder, Silvie!

I get my pencils from Wally World; Real incense cedar wood, too.
On the xmas topic thread:
"Circular Work in Carpentry and Joinery" book by Collings
LVT shopping spree: piano hinges, CD racks (6 sets), Chinese scissor set, router inlay bushing kit, set of rubber sanding block shapes, magnets/cups/washers, brass screen door spring hinge sets (2 pair)
Amazon.com shopping spree: "Shop Drawings for Craftsman Inlay" book by Lang, NEW 2004 release!
HF shopping spree: 4 more 24" bar clamps, emergency lantern (very cool), magnifier headset with lights, 3/8" impact wrench.
------------------------------------------------------------- * * Humorous T-shirts Online * Norm's Got Strings * Wondrous Website Design * * http://www.diversify.com -------------------------------------------------------------
Larry Jaques wrote:

I don't know where SWMBO got mine. They're green. She had bought a whole pile of them for some silly Girl Scout craft project, where they were going to be sacrificed. I noticed they were real pencils, so I pulled the ol' switcharoo on her and gave her a bunch of crappy plastic foam pencils that I bought by mistake (because the package gave the false impression that they were real pencils). Add a little green spray paint, and everybody wins.

Routah parts, sanding parts? Who's doing unthinkable things to perfectly good hardwoods now, Bunky?
I guess the worst part and the best part of the Non-Specific Post-Solstice Everything's Closed Today Day this year was my guitar. It's an Epiphone, which is a brand that got absorbed by Conglom-O years ago, and has been used to market second rate, just-a-cut-above-schlock for years. This one was made in the Land of Highest Quality Craftmanship and Burgeoning Personal Liberty As Long As You Don't Offend the Government Too Much. Good ol' Red China.
I'd really like to hate this guitar, but damn, I can't complain at all. It's a beautiful instrument made out of some very pretty wood. Looks like some kind of mahogany, or mahogany-esque wood for the back and sides. Darker on the finish side, so it's probably been toned, but the grain isn't obscured at all. The top is spruce with a subtle, yet striking wavy figure. It has a compensated saddle, all manner of little (probably faux) mother-of-pearl in lay stuff. Wow.
I've been playing the same el-cheapo $130 Korean plywood top Martin knockoff for going on 15 years now. It's been a hell of a good instrument, and clearly the best $130 I *ever* spent on anything, but it's definitely a no frills beast. They put the sound hole decal on top of the finish, and 90% of it is gone. I've dug divots into the top on the bottom side of the sound hole. It's got button scratches galore, and the satin finish on the top is mostly glossy now from sleeve wear. Not pretty at all, and it sounds kind of thin since I've been putting extra light strings on it (because the bridge has been working on coming off for the last 13 years.)
That little el-cheapo has been a good friend, but it sure is a whole different world having an instrument that's decidedly pretty. Not to mention it sounds a lot better too, has a cutaway, and the electroflummy pickup under the top so I can plug it in. It doesn't sound quite like a mic'ed acoustic plugged in, but it sounds more like an acoustic than the "ACOUSTIC" patch on my guitar FX box.
It's pretty cool all around. Not the greatest craftsmanship, but I've seen a hell of a lot worse. I can't believe this thing came out of China.
Anyway, it has been sort of an unexpected surprise. I sent Mom and SWMBO a link to the cheapest electro-acoustic with cutaway I could find online, as an example of what to look for. I was looking for something strictly utilitarian, for studio work in my home. It turns out this *is* the same guitar, a rock bottom cheapo. If this is the bottom, I think this must be a good time to buy guitars. The last time I went shopping, something like this, of this quality, with these materials, would have cost the best part of a grand. And it still would have been made in Asia even a decade ago.
On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 12:38:36 -0500, Silvan
Forgive me for asking this, because I'm almost sure of the answer, but since you seem to know something about gi-tars AND you're a wrecker, maybe you won't laugh at me too hard.
Have you seen the infomercials for Estaban's ax? What are your thoughts?
I'm not even in the market for one, but my curiosity was piqued.
Thanks.
- - LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net