The Official "What I got for Christmas" thread...

Page 2 of 8
On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 06:16:45 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@kreusch.com wrote

Hee, hee!
The big Milwaukee router for a future table Penn State remote for the cyclone Performax 16-32 sander
-Bruce
Assorted goodies from lee valley and woodcraft! SWMBO really knew what i wanted! I expect a thread on reviews from everyone on their new tools soon! Happy holidays. --dave

My big new tool was the compleat Scraping 101 deal from LV. Sure, I could have made a jointer easy enough, and I could have burnished with a screwdriver, and I could have bought some cheap saws at yardsales to cut into scrapers... It's all a bit of a silly extravegance, really, and not something someone who is on a paper thin Christmas budget ought to have invested in, but...
Me likey! Good, wholesome gadgetry all around. The only toy I had to take to grandma's house today was this set of stuff and a little scrap of walnut that was rough on two sides, and had wild grain on two sides.
Now I have a scrap of walnut that's smooooooooth. I'm hooked on scraping, and don't think I will ever sand anything again. I want to get some really wild and crazy grain to play with, and see if this will actually tame it. I had some wild maple in that big chess box project I did. Those squares are outstanding for their beauty, but also for their fudginess. I never did get them tamed to my satisfaction, with a super ultra finely tuned #4. If I could use grain like that often, instead of sparingly, it would be a most awesome thing. I have some scraps of that with the same kind of figure, and I'm looking forward to seeing what I can do with them tomorrow.
On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 23:05:33 -0500, Silvan

well... it is possible to get tearout with a scraper.
Ya gotta try, though.

On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 23:05:33 -0500, Silvan

Cool stuff, isn't it

I certainly have similar feelings. It also seems to me that scraping is a whole lot faster than stepping through 5 grits of sandpaper. I found my biggest problem is getting the wood ready for scraping. On the entertainment center drawers I'm working, the Ash seems to have some wild grain in places, I've had trouble with tearout even with my Knight smoother and an LN block plane set for wispy-thin shavings.
One word of warning as someone who just finished finish scraping the sides and bottoms for 12 (yes that's an even dozen) drawers for an entertainment center -- that scraper can become a serious problem for the hands. My thumbs are still not back to 100% even after 3 days, but at least my arm is not going numb on me anymore. Does the LV scraping deal include a card holder so you don't have to flex the tool by hand? I've found that aspirin seems to good for these kinds of aches and pains, but I sure don't want to fight this every time I do finishing work. I'm thinking a scraper plane may be in my future.

<snippage>

The power sander(s) did that to me. Particularly that 1/3 sheet monster that I bought sometime back in the Nixon adminstration, when Sear allegedly sold good tools. The 'it was supposed to be a prototype' entertainment center for the bedroom pretty much blew out my golf game with the tendonitis. I changed to projects and finishes that were easier on my no longer young body.
Smaller projects. And delegate the sanding to the person who asked me to build the piece for them in the first place, if possible.
I haven't mastered the LN 85 yet, but it certainly looks beautiful on the bench!
Patriarch
On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 00:28:07 GMT, Patriarch

Unfortunately, the projects that I'm needing right now are not that small: entertainment center, bed and desk combination for son, kitchen cabinets in about that order. After that, I'll be wanting to get back into some smaller, more meticulous projects.

Unfortunately I did. [Hey, I can make one of those while I'm drafting out the son's bed plans. Yeah, and instead of shelves in the bottom, how about I put in drawers for video and game storage? Shouldn't be too big a deal to add a few drawers. Doh, what was I thinking?]

What kinds of things are you encountering in trying to master the 85? That certainly is one of the candidates that I'm looking at; as much time and effort as scraping looks to save over sanding, I want something that will provide good results.

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+ | | | Now we'll just use some glue to hold things in place until the brads dry | | | +--------------------------------------------------------------------------+

Missed that subtle detail...

I think I was trying too hard to use it to flatten, rather than put a smooth finish on it. I _think_ that I need to soften the corners of the scraper blade, so that they don't dig in.
My challenges seem related to a life long search for patience.
The other thing I'm learning is that these tools work very differently with different wood species. I did another small project last week for my youngest son, using cherry. After maple, red oak and some tropicals, working in cherry seemed almost to be cheating. It's no wonder woodworkers love it so much.
I promised to make a replacement table leaf for a family friend this week. I'll try the 85 on that, or on the offcuts, at least, and try to remember to get back to you.
Patriarch
On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 03:55:06 GMT, Patriarch

After several years of going sig-less, decided to try something subtle, yet twisted. :-)
... snip

Thanks, I'd appreciate it. Just put together next year's tool budget/wish list -- a scraper plane is one of the things on that list.

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+ Now we'll just use some glue to hold things in place until the brads dry +--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 03:55:06 GMT, Patriarch

first stone the edge and roll the burr. then take it back to the stone and clean up the end of the scraper. the burr will push out past the end just a little bit, where it's just waiting for a chance to dig in.

this work requires patience. I want patience, and I want it now!
On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 14:16:36 -0700, Mark & Juanita

Yikes! Mark, friend, buddy, pal, scraping isn't supposed to be that painful.
How far are you bending that po' thang? If you're bending it far enough to string it and shoot arrows, I think I see your problem. :) Bend only as far as absolutely necessary to avoid gouging the wood with the corners. (Meaning if you're scraping something narrower than the card itself, you don't bend it _at_all._) No more thumb pain.
As for the arm going numb: That's usually a sign of pinched/constricted nerves in the neck/shoulder. Are you (unintentionally perhaps) hunching down over your workpiece as you scrape? (I'm asking because if #1, above, is true, you're probably having to hunch up to exert all that force.)
Of couse, these are just a couple of wild-assed guesses. (1)
Michael Baglio Who's card scrapers have moved to _second_ favorite tool, since Santa brought me my neat-o Boston Ranger 55 pencil sharpener.
(1) Disclaimer: Since _I've_ never scraped a dozen drawer bottoms in one shot, this entire post could be full of sh*t. Feel free to inform me of same if'n its so. I'll get over it. :O

I certainly was exerting less pressure as time went on :-( I don't think I was over-bending, but that may have been part of the problem. I know that a couple of the scrapers I have are fairly thick, so required a bit more pressure. In the future, I'll have to see whether I can get by with less pressure.

Well, I certainly had some neck pain on one side.

May have been the opposite actually, my bench may be a bit higher than it should be (or I'm too low).

Thanks for the ideas -- I really like using the scrapers, I just need to get to the point of being able to use them without inducing tendonitis or joint damage.

:-)
The sheer number of pieces to be finished certainly contributed to this, basically 48 sides and fronts, inside and out => 96 surfaces, 4 drawers were 4 1/2" tall, the remaining 5 3/4" tall, plus 12 drawer bottoms (cherry ply, but still needed scraping on top side) for another 12 surfaces. All in all a pretty substantial number of surfaces. I was doing this for about 4 1/2 to 5 hours a day over a period of 3 days (some of the drawers had a lot of nasty grain that resulted in having to spend some time dealing with tear-out, thus the 3 days instead of just a couple of days). I know I would have spent more time if I had been sanding these pieces.
+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+ Now we'll just use some glue to hold things in place until the brads dry +--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+

your thumbs. I refused for years, then used the one in the "set" I got my kid from Lee Valley. Ordered one within a week.
Mark & Juanita wrote:

Yup.
Yes. I haven't really used it yet. Didn't get a chance to play with it today. It looks like the disadvantage of the flexy holder thing is that you have to use scrapers that are cut to a size that fits it. Since the big daddy everything for 20% off scraper combo deal has a scraper with the scraper holder and a scraper with the burnisher and four scrapers in a different package, I probably have it covered for a long time anyway.
The burnisher flummy is pretty cool. I had experimented with burnishing the iron from a defunct block plane, so I had some idea what the business was all about. It could be just because the carbide rod is really *hard*, or it could be the way it lets you set the angle precisely, but it seems to definitely be a better way to burnish than the ol' screwdriver. By which I mean, easy, consistent, good results. It's a good piece of gadgetry.

On my someday list too, but it's a long and expensive someday list. My LV basket that isn't my basket is up to $3,500. Urk.
On 25 Dec 2004 05:16:45 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@kreusch.com wrote:

None will be opened until the Kids arrive sometime much later this afternoon... Christmas morning is not anywhere like it was when the rug rats were still at home...
Anyway... I will not be getting any tools. everyone knows better... call me "pickly" or whatever but the family knows This old boy will do his own tool shopping...
Enjoy Guys... & Gals.... wishing everyone a happy and healthy New Year
Bob Griffiths
On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 11:19:30 -0500, Bob G.

Yer not the only one, Bob. ;>
Michael Baglio
On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 11:19:30 -0500, Bob G.

A few years ago I was surfing the TV and ran across an infomercial for some stupid hammer thingee with a nail dispenser. As a gen-u-wine tool ex-purt I of course immediately recognized it for the gimmicky junque that it was.
Then I had a horrible thought; what if some uninitiated tool newby saw that and thought, "gee, what a great gift idea for Dad."? I would feel horrible having to feign appreciation for and disguise the disposal of such a gift.
I immediately called both my son and daughter and warned them that if they saw the infomercial to ignore it and don't buy it. My son, wise beyond his years, unbeknownst to me, said, "don't worry. We both know you're far too picky about your tools to buy anything without checking first."
Who said he'd never amount to anything?
- - LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net
LRod wrote:

You suck. Can we say "gator grip" boys and girls? The one socket that replaces all these sixteen dozen sockets and wrenches with one oversized, useless socket that's too big to fit anywhere and doesn't turn bolts where it does fit worth a damn.
At least it wasn't a tie.

That's what the "wish list" at Lee Valley is for. Between the two turning gouges, hold-down and calipers I got, plus the Veritas smooth plane I got for the big kid, they should have a Merry Christmas.
<snip>

I thought that was why Al Gore* gave us Post-its to go in Robin's catalogues?
Patriarch
* An homage to KB's favorite tongue-in-cheek...