The No Yankee Workshop - Cecil B. Demillwork - and the future of newsgroups...

Page 1 of 2
My company has a problem with some casework that went out assembled improperly.
I sent out a drawing on how to repair it.
Too complicated. (Thus sayeth the field crews)
I took photographs and put arrows and text on the photographs.
Still too complicated. (Also sprach die field guys:()
So I decided to make a movie about how to repair it.
I'm hoping that this simplifies things a little bit.
It made me wonder if this will be the means of communication for the wooddorking groups of the future.
https://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/onlinestorage/myfilelocker/cato.wmv

Simple at it seems, you still may get questions. How do you get the drill to take the screws out? Will I get the same results if I play different music?
Actually, this is a great idea for a lot of service issues.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Now that I've stopped laughing - I can see this as adding great fuel to the battle between the guys in the field vs the guys in the office. Too funny!
Josie
It begs for a commercial in the middle.
wrote in message

I fear that you may be right.

On a serious note, I think it actually might be the ticket for some things.
Most folks have a video camera of some sort. Mine isn't even a digital model but Belkin makes a product that allows you to convert the stuff to digital (VideoBus II). (<$99.00)
The software that comes free with XP is easy to use and cerrtainly seems adequate for these sorts of "inhouse" tasks.
The software allows you to output to all of the media that is normally available to us common folk, so people who have VCR's, DVD players, regular old computers, etc., can participate in viewing the final result.
It isn't very time consuming to do this.
It took me about ten hours to do this five minute video but that is because I didn't know the software, or how to get it onto my website storage area. I also started out with not really knowing how to solve the showcase problem, from a hands on perspective.
If I were to produce the same thing now, it would take me about four hours.
Since the problem that I am trying to correct has a dollar value of about $15000.00, it was well worth the effort.

Now you've got me thinking. My digital camera has some MPEG capability and I've never tried it. I suspect we'll be seeing some of this type of thing on ABPW soon. Years ago it was a big deal to be able to take a Polaroid picture of something to take back to the shop or to show a customer. Now you can email a shot to someone thousands of miles away in a matter of a few minutes. This would be the natural progression.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome /

wrote in message

Note also that there are more camera phones in existance than regular digital cameras. There has to be a business use in there somewhere.
Patriarch
<<On a serious note, I think it actually might be the ticket for some things.>>
More than you may realize. This sort of thing is done (seriously) all the time. Most of the time there is a narration instead of Scott Joplin music but even as is this would probably be a very useful training aid. Keep in mind that the procedure that seems simple and second-nature to you may not be quite so obvious to someone in the field. I have done numerous training videos over the years. One of the first was a safety orientation for new employees of an explosives manufacturer. OSHA required all new employees to undergo this training and it routinely took the instructor away from his normal duties, so they produced a video so the workers could get their orientation without inconveniencing other staff. I have also done videos for Duracell to instruct new workers in the proper steps for manufacturing certain types of batteries, and for Otis to show their field technicians how to service a particular model of elevator. And not long after 9/11 I did a video for Sikorsky Aircraft which consisted of a complete explanation of the security clearance procedures which was required viewing for all sub-contractors before they would even be allowed on the premises.
Lee

What kind of people are working in these field crews? The simple act of dissembling the front of the display case should have been sufficient to be able to figure out how to close the gap between the glass drawer and the glass top.
Tom Watson wrote:

Windows Media Player 9 format? Figures. I hope somebody hurries up and reverse engineers that codec.
My drill is red instead of yellow. Can I still perform this operation??

Silvan wrote:

That is my thinking also. It's a shame to use a better OS and not be able to see things made for the inferior microcrap windows.
"Jody" wrote in message

LOL .. It's comforting to see that Sherlock Holmes is in NO danger of losing his title as the master of deductive reasoning.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

Look, Swing - before ya even get started - don't start wearing my ass out about ASCRAP and BMI on the Hamlisch/Joplin tune.
I tried getting the rights to some stuff for a show I wrote in the eighties, that was done in a <99 seat house - and they wanted to charge me more than I made for the whole year.
Greedy bastiges.
"Tom Watson" wrote in message

Ya got my blessing, Bro ... they're both thieves of the first order.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

Wait! I remember the Mac converts saying much the same thing over the years. (I know they use X these days too, so we needn't run down that trail...)
Patriarch
On September 1993 plus 4162 days snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com wrote:

uhm...mplayer does play WMP9 format, after you install the codecs package for it...I know 'cause I watched that video and I haven't had windows installed in...uhm...9 years or so :)
Vox
--

Think of the Linux community as a niche economy isolated by its beliefs. Kind
of like the Amish, except that our religion requires us to use _higher_
Vox wrote:

Hrm. Maybe I need to go digging or something. I've got everything I'm aware of as being available, and I just confirmed I have no codec for that at all. URL?
On September 1993 plus 4164 days snipped-for-privacy@users.sourceforge.net wrote:

Being a mandrake user, I just urpmi them from plf.zarb.org but I think this mirror should work for you:
http://mirror.eepis-its.edu/debian-extra/MPlayer/codecs /
If your mplayer isn't compiled with support for the win32 codecs, you'll need to re-compile it with the appropriate option.
Vox
--
Think of the Linux community as a niche economy isolated by its beliefs. Kind
of like the Amish, except that our religion requires us to use _higher_
Vox wrote:

Well, all of that is interesting. I hadn't looked at this problem since about a year ago. I'll check it out, and thanks for bringing this to my attention.