The NEW PT lumber

Does any one have any experience with the new PT lumber? NOT the yellow PT that was introduced 6~8 years ago.
A few months ago I was considering replacing a door and jam assembly to my out door storage room, the jam is starting to rot near the sill. Lowe's offers a door jam guaranteed for life to not rot and it has no chemical to aid in making it rot and insect proof.
Wood magazine has a short article on the new PT lumber that goes through a double pressure steam treatment that on the second cycle gets cooked at over 400 degrees F. According to the article the second round in the PT process makes the sugars and sap unsuitable as food for insects or for rot. All that is used during this PT process is water and steam.

That sounds like it might be the process for Heat Treated lumber used for export crating. I understand it is stamped HT not PT.
John

While it might sound like that process the uses are for exterior trim for housing and decking.
"Leon" wrote:

Have you ever looked at "Plastic Lumber"?
Basically reclaimed HPDE (Plastic milk jugs) with color and filler added.
Designed specifically for decks, docks and other outdoor wood applications.
Lew
On 01/25/2010 12:56 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

I've seen it in park benches as well. It's got hardly any structural strength, especially when it gets really hot out.
Chris
"Chris Friesen" wrote:

---------------------- The industry is very specific about not being suited for structural applications.
Lew

For decks that product is ok for the decking however it is not structural and will sag if not properly supported. Wood still has to also be used for decks.

"Leon" wrote:

Didn't realize your application was structural.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Testing:
You getting my posts, Lew?
Bill

Actually I am currently inquiring, however the door jam was something I was interested in that apparently comes with that product. BUT for future facia repairs aroung my roof, treated replaces cedar as it goes bad.
"Leon" wrote:

SFWIW:
Have some tech & pricing info along with some samples headed my way via snail mail.
If interested, will let you know what I get.
Lew

Yeah, thanks Lew, that would be great.
The 'board' of plastic is heavy. Might not hang well due to weight. And screw with self drilling is used or holes. Martin
Leon wrote:

I bought a board for my weather station platform.
I figure it would hang in there and so far it has.
Cutting it was a pain in the xxx - remember plastic. Consider a saw cutting - it cuts nicely, but you have to pick up the strings of plastic. It won't rot or decay away! It becomes the pollution issue on that product line. Simply put a tarp down and cut above it.
I wished they made solid 2x2 or 4x4 but hollow cores are the facts.
What I dislike on it in decks -
Martin
Lew Hodgett wrote:

First I'm hearing of the stuff, so I did a quick search and came up with this: http://www.termawood.com/technology.html Is that the stuff mentioned in Wood magazine? Looks interesting.

Could this be the proprietary treatment Jeld-Wen advertises for their Auralast windows?
Dave in Houston
First I'm hearing of the stuff, so I did a quick search and came up with this: http://www.termawood.com/technology.html Is that the stuff mentioned in Wood magazine? Looks interesting.
First off I indicated PT lumber, I will correct that to Thermally Modified wood.
The site you indicated looks like the same thing. Apparently this type wood has been available in Europe since the 90's and is only now beginning to be seen in the USA.
www.radiance-wood.com www.ecoperm.com www.purewoodproducts.com www.cambiawood.com
are the references sited by Wood Magazine.
Claims indicate less likely to warp, is more dimensionally stable, and the wood becomes harder. Predrilling near the ends of boards is recommended to prevent splitting and the wood will fade to a silvery gray more quickly than normal when in sun light. Cost right now appears to be about 2x that of PTP and about the same as Western red cedar.
Leon wrote:

I've been waiting to see if this takes off:
http://www.finehomebuilding.com/item/9172/timbersil-decking