The new Kraftmaid Venicia Cabinet question.

I picked up a Kraftmaid catalog the other day after seeing a display of the Cabinets at Lowes. How do they put a coat on them that makes them look like they have a sheet of glass on the wood, they look beautiful, but I am sure that they will scratch easy. Also is there anyway that a DIY'er can make a coating like that on projects?

Reply to
bdeditch

They likely do it with a carefully tuned spray application system and some sort of high tech finish. And it is likely to be more difficult to scratch than you would expect.

Doing that yourself, you get the same sort of coating--might be a 2K polyurethane, might be a catalyzed lacquer, might be a phenolic, might be an epoxy, might be something else, and apply it and then if you don't get the finish you want as applied you polish it. If you don't need the durabilty of the high tech stuff a conventional lacquer can give you a marvelous finish.

Reply to
J. Clarke