The NEW Drill Press

Page 3 of 3

NO! I "HOPE" that, and mentioned to my wife that I am finished buying big machinery. My dear wife said it would be OK if I found more to buy. All of my heavy stuff is now mobile and easy to move. If and when we move, this will aid in moving the equipment. Last August I helped Swingman move his shop to a storage center after his shop flooded. He rented a box van with lift gate and the moving task was really quite simple and went with out much difficulty including the cabinet saw with its long right table.
Of course Swingman was not in a jolly mood during the ordeal, it was enough to try anyone's temperament. Ironically his shop is now in a new location and he later raised the floor in the old location to prevent flooding. Unfortunately the new location flooded and the old location stayed dry. ;~( Talk about NOT dodging the bullets.

Then, you're going to have a BIG PROBLEM sometime in the near future. Knowing your penchant for Festool, what are you going to do when they come out with their 3000 lb quadruple in one thingamadoodle? :)

wrote in message

That even sounds too expensive. I can tell you right now I won't be able to afford it. LOL Although I have been reading about the new Festool Drills. Yes very expensive, 2.5 time more expensive than a similar cordless drill. They have an electronic clutch and apparently cut the power when the desired torque is reached. And they come with a rotatable flush position drill adapter, a 90 degree drill adapter, and a chuck drill adapter, in addition to the built ins hex drive.

A peepot full of years ago, I bought an engine crane. It has removed exactly one engine (that I know of: it is occasionally on loan), but has lifted a lot of heavy tools onto their feet, drill press heads onto their columns and that sort of thing. Long gone are the days when I could put most of a 6" jointer together on the floor and then grab the tables in close and flip it upright without a care. Same with doing a clean and jerk with a drill press head, after which you get to move it around until the column and the hole in the head line up-- usually right after one of your fingers slips into the hole on the head.
Some of the newer packing set ups come close to being totally baffling anyway. Jet's hybrid saw, for example, is a really nice tool. It comes packed upside down, in tightfitting styrofoam inside tightfitting cardboard (for those old enough, think Sammy Davis Jr.'s britches). Once you unearth the manual, it tells you to save all packing materials in case something is wrong. Uh, sure. After using a utility knife to slice both cardboard and styrofoam, I'm going to store all the cut up bits. Ryobi's hybrid comes packing inside a metal cage. The saw has a granite top and weights, if memory serves, 452 pounds without its cage. Enjoy your new DP, Leon.
Snip
Same with doing a clean and jerk with a drill press head, after which you get to move it around until the column and the hole in the head line up-- usually right after one of your fingers slips into the hole on the head.
Fortunatley my son was on the motor end and I was on teh quill end. The finger clipper was out of reach, in the middle.
Some of the newer packing set ups come close to being totally baffling anyway. Jet's hybrid saw, for example, is a really nice tool. It comes packed upside down, in tightfitting styrofoam inside tightfitting cardboard (for those old enough, think Sammy Davis Jr.'s britches). Once you unearth the manual, it tells you to save all packing materials in case something is wrong. Uh, sure. After using a utility knife to slice both cardboard and styrofoam, I'm going to store all the cut up bits. Ryobi's hybrid comes packing inside a metal cage. The saw has a granite top and weights, if memory serves, 452 pounds without its cage.
I will say that the DP was well packed but not from the stand point of having to "unpack".
Enjoy your new DP, Leon.
A heart felt, Thank you, Charlie !

I've always wondered why most manufacturers don't include a little additional engineering in their products ~ engineering in their packaging I'm talking about. I remember buying a colour Xerox printer some five or six years ago. The box with printer was over 80 lbs and far to bulky for me to handle from my chair. But, it didn't matter in the least.
Once the box was placed where you wanted it, several clips were released at the base of the box and you lifted the sides away. Removing the rest of the heavily reinforced cardboard base involved raising each corner of the printer a half inch or so and sliding that corner away. Since that time, I've yet to come across any other packaging so well engineered and easy to use. And even better, once the printer was fully unpackaged and ready to use, I found the printer itself to be equally as well engineered when it came to form and function. I don't impress very easily, but this packaging did it with ease.
Of course, heavy iron is in a different category, but the situation is similar.
If both light lines were thin the accuracy would probably be closer to 1/64".
When I need repeatability I use a back stop clamped to the table. I always measure and mark my first center point by hand. After that it depends on how much flex is in the DP head. I have a pretty much junk HF DP, but I can get ok work out of it that way.
wrote in message

Yeah that is hat I have been doing for the past 30 years with my old DP and will probably continue to do so. However if "quick down and dirty and no need for great accuracy" is good enough, the laser makes the task go 3 or 4 seconds faster per hole. It is especially more helpful when using larger forstner bits as the point is harder to see.
On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 10:29:13 -0500, "Leon"
[snipped stream of consciousness report]
DGDevin beat me to the punch with the assemble-it-on-the-ground-and-then-tilt-it-up suggestion. That's exactly how I did my 17-925 (admittedly a little smaller and lighter, but not by much). And except for the last part, tipping it up, I was able to do it all alone. There was just no way to tip that beast by myself, though, so I called on my neighbor who works nights...
And even when you were "yabbuting" the idea with the comment about the base being bolted to the ply and the ply bolted to the mobile base, I was saying, "duh, unbolt the base--tip the whole thing up and then move it onto the base and rebolt."
Too late, now, though, so never mind.
But to all you youngsters out there--try to avoid at all costs hand lifting a heavy (more than a bag of Sakrete), unwieldy piece of arn up over your head. No fun and fraught with danger.
I too have come to the conclusion that I pretty much have what I need. I just can't bring myself to say it unconditionally, and I certainly haven't articulated it to SWMBO. The door of opportunity for future purchase I haven't foreseen would slam shut and be permanently dogged down within microseconds of her hearing "...don't need more tools."
Have fun with the new toy.
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

LOL, yabutt, here is the deal. The plywood is bolted to the DP base with long bolts. The bolts come up through the bottom so the base would have to be up in the air to get the bolts back in unless I cut them or I could'a lifted the entire DP up and sie back down over the 3 bolts. I was not in that frame of mind at the time. The thought did occur to me. Basically it was a six of one, half a dozen of the other kinda consideration. I was thinking much less work if we can muscle it up there. The ply base might'a could'a been rebolted to the mobile base but clearance was tight when it was easy to work on, on the floor probably would have increased the difficulty factor a time or two. Then there is the considration of lifting a 240 lb. DP up and into place. We assembled this thing "pyramid" style.

Yeah!
Agreed, Even with that example, I only buy 50# bags just so I don't have to deal with the 80# bags. Talk about dead weight.

Almost from the day my wife and I met she knew that I built stuff, wooden stuff. I have enlarged and totally rebbuilt her kitchen, master bathroom, and all of the wooden furniture in our home, with the excption of a couple of pieces. And I actually make money with my tools, so she has always been very accepting of my fondness for new stuff.

Thank you sir!

Just think. Now you get to make the most accurate hash-pipe on the block. :-}
Congrats on the new toyyyOOlTOOL, I said TOOL. Use it in safety and good health.
Just think. Now you get to make the most accurate hash-pipe on the block. :-}
Oar uh bong, man!
Congrats on the new toyyyOOlTOOL, I said TOOL. Use it in safety and good health.
Thank you.