The NEW Drill Press

LOL, yabutt, here is the deal. The plywood is bolted to the DP base with long bolts. The bolts come up through the bottom so the base would have to be up in the air to get the bolts back in unless I cut them or I could'a lifted the entire DP up and sie back down over the 3 bolts. I was not in that frame of mind at the time. The thought did occur to me. Basically it was a six of one, half a dozen of the other kinda consideration. I was thinking much less work if we can muscle it up there. The ply base might'a could'a been rebolted to the mobile base but clearance was tight when it was easy to work on, on the floor probably would have increased the difficulty factor a time or two. Then there is the considration of lifting a 240 lb. DP up and into place. We assembled this thing "pyramid" style.

Yeah!

Agreed, Even with that example, I only buy 50# bags just so I don't have to deal with the 80# bags. Talk about dead weight.

Almost from the day my wife and I met she knew that I built stuff, wooden stuff. I have enlarged and totally rebbuilt her kitchen, master bathroom, and all of the wooden furniture in our home, with the excption of a couple of pieces. And I actually make money with my tools, so she has always been very accepting of my fondness for new stuff.

Thank you sir!

Reply to
Leon

Oooooooooooooooooooohhhhhh!

Double space between paragraphs or something similar. As you may have noticed, I was doing good to indent a time or two.

I'll try to be more considerate for you older guys. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

LT-16 (but with foot brake).

Mine was the same way. The table was in a separate box strapped to the side where the motor mounts and the motor (in original box) was strapped where the table mounts.

The two 4x4 blocks of wood were on the top of the unit. I don't remember now their actual purpose, IIRC they were just used to protect the tension adjustment knob from damage.

BTW - if you release tension, don't forget to reapply _before_ you hit the power button. DAMHIKT.

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Not only old, but lazy.

Ever wonder why legal briefs are double spaced?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I DO!

don't forget to reapply _before_ you hit

Yeah I think I did that once many years ago on my old Craftsman. What I do now as a reminder is to engage the dead kill switch if I relieve tension. If the saw will not start and the dead kill switch is engaged I know to check the tension first.

Reply to
Leon

Experience, it's what teaches us to recognize a mistake when we've made it again.

It just occurred to me that within a fifteen minute drive of here there are at least two places that rent stuff like engine stands and portable hoists and scissor lifts so on. I'm going to have to remember that for future assemblies and installations instead of asking the wife to brace the [insert name of tool] while I try to hold a contorted position while threading a nut onto a bolt....

Reply to
DGDevin

No, I'm strictly a Jockey briefs kinda guy. ;!)

Speaking of that, I know several years ago the better Canon 35mm cameras could detect where you were looking in the view finder and would automatically focus at that distance. Surely a similar device could be used, similar to a web cam, that would detect where you were looking on the screed and enlarge that line of text.

Reply to
Leon

Deja-vu

You had to bring that up...... I have a roll around hydraulic jack within a

15 seconds crawl under a work bench. ;~( I'm sure there was a good reason for not using it 3 years ago.
Reply to
Leon

If the text isn't formatted so that it is easy to read (Including "no squint" type size), I just move on to the next posting.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I had to wonder, I'm betting you're not alone in that sort of thing.

Reply to
DGDevin

Yeah, but now I have to scroll vertically to see the whole post, and my uber-wide, ultra-fancy, 24" LCD monitor has 30% text on the left side of the screen and 70% empty whitespace on the right! And surely you're not telling me your newsreader is so old and crusty it doesn't support that new-fangled thing called "word wrap"... ?

:-)

Reply to
Steve Turner

My saw doesn't have that, so I just pop open the upper door so it opens the interlock switch.

Reply to
Steve Turner

Ha, ha. Was that intentional?

Reply to
LRod

Just think. Now you get to make the most accurate hash-pipe on the block. :-}

Congrats on the new toyyyOOlTOOL, I said TOOL. Use it in safety and good health.

Reply to
Robatoy

I use a darn ole 18.1" NEC LCD. I have had it for 8 years and it just won't die not even any blown pixels. I have been drooling over the 24"ers for a couple of years now. They sure have come down in price a LOT. I have been seeing them regularly advertised for $199 at CompUSA.

Actually they have become too inexpensive for my taste now, I think I'll start focusing on the newer OLED 24"ers when they come out. :~)

Reply to
Leon

Steve Turner wrote: ...

nntp protocol is line length

Reply to
dpb

type-o, I mean YEAH!

Reply to
Leon

Just think. Now you get to make the most accurate hash-pipe on the block. :-}

Oar uh bong, man!

Congrats on the new toyyyOOlTOOL, I said TOOL. Use it in safety and good health.

Thank you.

Reply to
Leon

Reply to
Steve Turner

Snip

Same with doing a clean and jerk with a drill press head, after which you get to move it around until the column and the hole in the head line up-- usually right after one of your fingers slips into the hole on the head.

Fortunatley my son was on the motor end and I was on teh quill end. The finger clipper was out of reach, in the middle.

Some of the newer packing set ups come close to being totally baffling anyway. Jet's hybrid saw, for example, is a really nice tool. It comes packed upside down, in tightfitting styrofoam inside tightfitting cardboard (for those old enough, think Sammy Davis Jr.'s britches). Once you unearth the manual, it tells you to save all packing materials in case something is wrong. Uh, sure. After using a utility knife to slice both cardboard and styrofoam, I'm going to store all the cut up bits. Ryobi's hybrid comes packing inside a metal cage. The saw has a granite top and weights, if memory serves, 452 pounds without its cage.

I will say that the DP was well packed but not from the stand point of having to "unpack".

Enjoy your new DP, Leon.

A heart felt, Thank you, Charlie !

Reply to
Leon