The NEW Drill Press

Page 2 of 3
Steve Turner wrote: ...

nntp protocol is line length <80 characters
dpb wrote:

Nice try, but I don't think so. Not according to this document at least:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3977
It has to do with the early computer (TTY) consoles/telex machines only being able to display/print 80 characters per line.
CYA Steve
Stephen Quinn wrote:

Yes, I used those myself when I was a "computer operator" back in the days before Apples and IBM PCs. I understand all the reasons why one might want to restrict line lengths to 80 characters (I still do it myself in my C source code), but NNTP doesn't impose such a restriction and there is little reason to manually do so in this day and age. I would argue that introducing explicit line endings into otherwise free-flowing paragraphs of text creates as many problems as it solves.

You mean netiquette.

You suck! :-)
Some people are reading this on a netbook......
Leon wrote:

Line feeds separate paragraphs or sentences. You need two of them at the end of a paragraph in order to get some white space, breaking up long posts making them easier to read. Like this:
There is no compelling reason I can see to worry too much about when to make these separations either, just that too much typing without space makes it harder to follow along on long posts, and spacing like this makes it easier to edit replies. Often, if I get too wordy I'll go back and stick in some line feeds (white space).
Your post was long and with no white space my first impulse is to skip the whole thing. Once I started reading it, it was a good read and well written, but the white space makes it more inviting (too me, anyway) than a page[s] of text with no white space...
--
Jack
Jack Stein wrote:

Ah; Jack, you're talking about line feeds in different places than Pat was. You're simply asking Leon to use multiple paragraphs in place of one big one.
--
If you think nobody cares, try missing a couple of payments.
To reply, eat the taco.

THERE WERE "2" paragraphs. LOL
Steve Turner wrote:

Not sure what Pat was speaking of? He added white space double line feeds between paragraphs, to which I'm speaking, but he also put explicit line feeds to minimize line lengths as well. I think your reader should manage the line lengths rather than force others to read your line lengths.
At any rate, looking at your message, the line lengths are perfect for me, Pats are too short, and I think mine are too long... when I read my own posts. Messing with all this stuff always gives me a headache:-)
I know I always try to edit my messages for readability. I doubt I'm always successful, and don't mind constructive criticism giving or getting:-)
My biggest complaint about newsgroups are it's readers. 20 years ago, in Fidonet, the readers were super nice. I used to use one written by Nick Night, can't remember the name of it, but it worked better than the rest of this stuff. I use Thunderbird now, it's ok at best, but nothing like the one Nick wrote.
--
Jack
I was simply trying to make his a "wee bit" more readable. Mine are short because I use a very wide screen that many folks do not have.
Jack Stein wrote:

Pat Barber wrote:

You mean I should have used Carriage Return:-)
--
Jack
Jack Stein wrote:

I remember when "Blue Wave" first came out it was the cat's meow!
Next you'll start talking about ZMH and tossers. :)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Swingman wrote:

Yes, Zone Mail Hour... I ran Opus, and it had one message one file format for mail. Other BBS systems had a database method for mail. Opus would create havoc with the archaic DOS file system because of a zillion files being created and deleted every day. Even with the data base method, DOS disk fragmentation was a big issue. When I started running OS/2 and the HPFS file system, fragmentation was non-existent. A large number of sysops had no clue...
--
Jack
Leon wrote:

Experience, it's what teaches us to recognize a mistake when we've made it again.

It just occurred to me that within a fifteen minute drive of here there are at least two places that rent stuff like engine stands and portable hoists and scissor lifts so on. I'm going to have to remember that for future assemblies and installations instead of asking the wife to brace the [insert name of tool] while I try to hold a contorted position while threading a nut onto a bolt....

Deja-vu
You had to bring that up...... I have a roll around hydraulic jack within a 15 seconds crawl under a work bench. ;~( I'm sure there was a good reason for not using it 3 years ago.
Leon wrote:

I had to wonder, I'm betting you're not alone in that sort of thing.

As someone who has set up a number of shops, I can relate to the assembly trauma/ordeal. One thing I did after a time is to keep some 2 X 4's handy and make some kind of support beam. I would either cut away some material to fit the equipment and/or add something. Then lift from the wood rather than from the machine. Much easier on the hands and back. Although as I get older, I think a better solution is to hire some healthy. strong backs for the task.
Good to hear that the DP is meeting or beating your expectations.

Thanks!

really
if
With all the toys you have, don't you think it's about time you invested in a ceiling mounted rail system for hoisting and moving heavy objects around?