The NEW Drill Press

If you have been following my hunt for a new DP with more capacity and convenience features you may also know that I decided and got a decent deal on the Delta 17-959L. My son and I went down to Rockler Saturday morning and picked it up, in the box, and a also got a universal mobile base. Getting home with the prize I immediately began putting together the mobile base, this is the 3rd of this type base I have in the shop. If I were a beginner woodworker I may have given up on wood working right then. It was not the base, it was me. You know when you read on the wrong side of the inch marker.... you want 20.5" and end up cutting 19.5". Both are exactly .5" on either side of the 20" marker. Any way after a few hours the base was finished and worked fine. Next I put a piece of plywood appropriately larger than the DP base and bolted it to the mobile base, then the DP base was bolted to the ply wood base. Then I could begin assembling the DP. The column was next bolted to the DP base and the table attached to the column mount. Then came the struggle of getting the heavy DP head to the top of the column. Actually next came getting the heavy DP head out of the box. My 21 year old son and I looked like a clown act trying to get the thing out of the box. Of course the box lid folds open but each side of the lid is wider than the box side so the lid effectively makes the width of the box even wider and the target even farther away. We both stumbled a couple of times tripping and smashing the box as we carried our catch away. We put the head on a work bench and waited until all of the huffing and puffing subsided to ponder lifting this thing from the work bench to above eye level AND negotiate the union of the column into the mounting hole. My wife would be needed, she being a quilter has the talent to thread a needle, surely she can guide us in placing the head on to the column. We both squat under the head teetering on the edge of the bench and slowly stand up with the bottom ends of the head setting on the palms of out hands and then proceed to the DP column. Now we need to push up from about shoulder level to above "my" eye level and gently lower the head on to the column. With my wife's guidance we managed to lift the head above the column and set it on the column but not quite in the right spot, but it did give us a chance to do some more much needed huffing and puffing as it sat delicately balanced on the top of the column. We gathered more courage, lifted, wiggled, grunted, and delicately let the head SLAM in place on the column. Now I am sure that the head probably did not weigh much over 150 lbs but there are really no decent places to grab that do not have sharp edges or pointed bolts sticking out so the comfort factor was reeeeeel low and as you well know if the comfort factor is reeeel low things change. Couple that with the wind chill factor and you get a head that feels like it weighs 300 lbs. OK I have had the DP for a whole 5 days and so far it works GREAT!. LOL, We'll see if it holds up 30 years like the DP it is replacing. Fit and finish, every thing fits fine. All bolts threaded properly in all threaded holes, and all components fit as wanted, not necessarily expected, but that is a good thing. Finish, probably the worse surface finish of any one piece of my equipment, although it looks good the non milled surfaces feel like 40 grit sand paper. All of these surfaces have a black paint finish. The surfaces feel like they have been covered with black wrinkle paint. An up close look reveals regular paint on a rough surface. Machined surfaces however are very good and those surfaces work together smoothly. In particular the forward tilt table tilts forward very smoothly and stays where you put it before tightening the 2 trunions in place. The laser, not an item that I would have paid extra for, provides a thin narrow line on one side and a line about 4 times wider on the other side. I am not quite sure how or if this can be corrected. As it is the lines cross at the target to within about 1/16" accuracy. If both light lines were thin the accuracy would probably be closer to 1/64". With 16 speeds I have a much wider choice of speeds and a lower range of speeds than with my older DP. The Speed/Pulley chart that Delta puts inside the belt cover is terrible. It indicates the belt positions starting with the belts at the top of the pulley and the next belt one pulley down, this progresses one pulley at a time until all belts are at the lowest points on the pulleys. While this may seem OK it does not indicate chuck speed increase or decrease in any particular order. So if you want to go from 215 RPM to say 540 rpm you have to look are every pulley drawing configuration to find that speed and there actually may not be a 540 RPM speed. To solve this I used Sketchup to redraw all the pulley configurations except that they are in progressive RPM order. This way you know which speed is actually next by looking at the next speed as opposed to hunting for the next higher speed on all of the other drawings. If any one is interested I can send you a copy of this drawing in PDF or Sketchup format and you can change the rpm's to reflect the ones on your particular DP. The ON/OFF switch is still the spring loaded push button desigh that pretends to look like a magnetic switch. If the DP is unplugged you cannot tell if the switch is off or on and plugging it back in may indeed turn the DP back on unexpectedly. My Jet lathe and Delta stationary planer use similar style switches and also require you to manually insure that the switch is in the off position before plugging it in. The Delta DP switch is improved however as you can push the switch at any place and it will perform the expected function. The other mentioned switches require an "in the middle straight in push" to operate. I have transferred my new DP table and fence from my old DP and am eagerly awaiting the opportunity to drill some holes.

Any one in the Houston area interested in a Rockwell radial DP?

Reply to
Leon

I've learned over the years to unpack in such a way that I can lift the box away from the contents, or just cut the sides down so they can be removed. Lifting big heavy things out of boxes is not good for aging backs.

I've have been tempted to assemble it horizontally on the floor and then use a pulley to hoist it vertical, but maybe with at least one more guy to help. Hmmmm, this sounds like good justification for a chain-hoist installation: "Honey, it's for safety, you want us to be safe, right?"

Fun post to read, thanks.

Reply to
DGDevin

As someone who has set up a number of shops, I can relate to the assembly trauma/ordeal. One thing I did after a time is to keep some 2 X 4's handy and make some kind of support beam. I would either cut away some material to fit the equipment and/or add something. Then lift from the wood rather than from the machine. Much easier on the hands and back. Although as I get older, I think a better solution is to hire some healthy. strong backs for the task.

Good to hear that the DP is meeting or beating your expectations.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

With all the toys you have, don't you think it's about time you invested in a ceiling mounted rail system for hoisting and moving heavy objects around?

Reply to
Upscale

NO! I "HOPE" that, and mentioned to my wife that I am finished buying big machinery. My dear wife said it would be OK if I found more to buy. All of my heavy stuff is now mobile and easy to move. If and when we move, this will aid in moving the equipment. Last August I helped Swingman move his shop to a storage center after his shop flooded. He rented a box van with lift gate and the moving task was really quite simple and went with out much difficulty including the cabinet saw with its long right table.

Of course Swingman was not in a jolly mood during the ordeal, it was enough to try anyone's temperament. Ironically his shop is now in a new location and he later raised the floor in the old location to prevent flooding. Unfortunately the new location flooded and the old location stayed dry. ;~( Talk about NOT dodging the bullets.

Reply to
Leon

Using that "hind site thang", that seems like a pretty good idea!

I thought about assembling it with it laying down but the base being on the larger platform and it being on the wider mobile base seemed to present possible problems. You should have seen my son and I mounting the 4.5hp

220 volt Baldor motor to the Laguna band saw. He had to hold the motor up about 20" off the floor and keep it properly clocked while I on the other side of the saw screwed the bolts in and hold the belt out of the way. The motor probably weighed close to 100 lbs. and makes the 3 hp motor on the planer and TS look small by compairison.

Sure!

Reply to
Leon

Reply to
Leon

When I need repeatability I use a back stop clamped to the table. I always measure and mark my first center point by hand. After that it depends on how much flex is in the DP head. I have a pretty much junk HF DP, but I can get ok work out of it that way.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Hm. When I got my LT16, they had shipped two 4x4 blocks of wood that were the perfect length to support the motor while I bolted it to the frame.

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

A peepot full of years ago, I bought an engine crane. It has removed exactly one engine (that I know of: it is occasionally on loan), but has lifted a lot of heavy tools onto their feet, drill press heads onto their columns and that sort of thing. Long gone are the days when I could put most of a 6" jointer together on the floor and then grab the tables in close and flip it upright without a care. Same with doing a clean and jerk with a drill press head, after which you get to move it around until the column and the hole in the head line up-- usually right after one of your fingers slips into the hole on the head.

Some of the newer packing set ups come close to being totally baffling anyway. Jet's hybrid saw, for example, is a really nice tool. It comes packed upside down, in tightfitting styrofoam inside tightfitting cardboard (for those old enough, think Sammy Davis Jr.'s britches). Once you unearth the manual, it tells you to save all packing materials in case something is wrong. Uh, sure. After using a utility knife to slice both cardboard and styrofoam, I'm going to store all the cut up bits. Ryobi's hybrid comes packing inside a metal cage. The saw has a granite top and weights, if memory serves, 452 pounds without its cage.

Enjoy your new DP, Leon.

Reply to
Charlie Self

"Upscale" wrote

Not to worry, even Leon can't afford that monster.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

LT16 or LT16HD? My LT16HD motor was wrapped in Styrofoam and card board setting on top of the bottom wheel housing. Basically it was setting where the table sets. AND it was strapped in place so it would not fall out of that location. No wooden blocks. ;~(

Reply to
Leon

I did mine horizontally with no problems... different press and different base though.

It was a fun post. Next time though, use a few line feeds... they are cheap and are easier on these old eyes...

Reply to
Jack Stein

That even sounds too expensive. I can tell you right now I won't be able to afford it. LOL Although I have been reading about the new Festool Drills. Yes very expensive, 2.5 time more expensive than a similar cordless drill. They have an electronic clutch and apparently cut the power when the desired torque is reached. And they come with a rotatable flush position drill adapter, a 90 degree drill adapter, and a chuck drill adapter, in addition to the built ins hex drive.

Reply to
Leon

Yeah that is hat I have been doing for the past 30 years with my old DP and will probably continue to do so. However if "quick down and dirty and no need for great accuracy" is good enough, the laser makes the task go 3 or 4 seconds faster per hole. It is especially more helpful when using larger forstner bits as the point is harder to see.

Reply to
Leon

Then, you're going to have a BIG PROBLEM sometime in the near future. Knowing your penchant for Festool, what are you going to do when they come out with their 3000 lb quadruple in one thingamadoodle? :)

Reply to
Upscale

Jack Stein wrote in news:gta9jq$ri3$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal- september.org:

It was a fun post. I was longing for the YouTube video link, thoguh ;-)

Reply to
Han
[snipped stream of consciousness report]

DGDevin beat me to the punch with the assemble-it-on-the-ground-and-then-tilt-it-up suggestion. That's exactly how I did my 17-925 (admittedly a little smaller and lighter, but not by much). And except for the last part, tipping it up, I was able to do it all alone. There was just no way to tip that beast by myself, though, so I called on my neighbor who works nights...

And even when you were "yabbuting" the idea with the comment about the base being bolted to the ply and the ply bolted to the mobile base, I was saying, "duh, unbolt the base--tip the whole thing up and then move it onto the base and rebolt."

Too late, now, though, so never mind.

But to all you youngsters out there--try to avoid at all costs hand lifting a heavy (more than a bag of Sakrete), unwieldy piece of arn up over your head. No fun and fraught with danger.

I too have come to the conclusion that I pretty much have what I need. I just can't bring myself to say it unconditionally, and I certainly haven't articulated it to SWMBO. The door of opportunity for future purchase I haven't foreseen would slam shut and be permanently dogged down within microseconds of her hearing "...don't need more tools."

Have fun with the new toy.

Reply to
LRod

I figured that the mobile base would handle the 238 lbs better in its normal operating position rather than on its side.

Line Feeds?

Reply to
Leon

Yep...line feeds...that funky looking key just to your right... Here is a brief version with "line feeds"..

********** Leon's Post with LF's **************

If you have been following my hunt for a new DP with more capacity and convenience features you may also know that I decided and got a decent deal on the Delta 17-959L.

My son and I went down to Rockler Saturday morning and picked it up, in the box, and a also got a universal mobile base.

Getting home with the prize I immediately began putting together the mobile base, this is the 3rd of this type base I have in the shop.

If I were a beginner woodworker I may have given up on wood working right then.

It was not the base, it was me.

You know when you read on the wrong side of the inch marker.... you want 20.5" and end up cutting 19.5". Both are exactly .5" on either side of the 20" marker.

Any way after a few hours the base was finished and worked fine.

Next I put a piece of plywood appropriately larger than the DP base and bolted it to the mobile base, then the DP base was bolted to the ply wood base.

Le> Line Feeds?

Reply to
Pat Barber