The Mother of All Pointy Sticks

Page 2 of 2

Oh my gods - that girl is TINY!

Not to try to one-up Lee Valley, but I think THESE are The Mother of All Pointy Sticks:
http://www.polespecialties.com/pages/813132/index.htm
Regards, Roy
Is that a teepee pole in your pocket or...
aw never mind...
No point that I can see. MOA dowels, maybe...
--
"You can't be a Real Country unless you have a BEER and an airline - it helps
if you have some kind of a football team or some nuclear weapons, but at the

Thanks for that ! I've just been looking for tipi poles
(Shame that shipping is probably impractical)

Probably. Cost me about $125 to have my last set shipped from Minnesota. I imagine it's a tad more to the UK. I keep these out of the weather when not being used. My previous set lasted 10-12 years stored outdoors in Texas. Try one of these sites for a more local source for you. One of the 'skinners there will know where you can get them. Sharpen your draw knife and put a fresh belt on the sander though.
http://web.onyxnet.co.uk/Gunn.MacLaren-onyxnet.co.uk /
http://www.hudsonbaytrappers.co.uk /
http://www.falsterske.dk/ (also has English version)
http://www.hiswap.uitholland.nl /
http://www.coon-n-crockett.org/linklist.htm (good place to start a search)

Weird. Here in the UK there's pretty much _no_ crossover between muzzle loaders and tipi-dwellers. They're more likely to see them as targets!
On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 13:40:42 +0000, Andy Dingley

You mean you have to *buy* tipi poles???? Why can't you just go out in the bush and cut a few lodgepole pines?
Luigi Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/humour.html www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/antifaq.html http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_Woodworking

Shortage of lodgepole pines. My best option locally for long straight poles is coppiced ash and I can't find any of that length that thin.
For yurt rafters I cleave ash, but it just wouldn't look right on a tipi.
On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 12:20:29 +0000, Andy Dingley

I was just kidding, but I now wonder if there is a business there for someone here to ship lodgepole pine tipi poles from the YK to the UK. Our lodgepole pines tend to grow in almost pure stands of tightly packed trees, hence they are tall and straight (but that's the nature of the interior subspecies of the inaptly named Pinus contorta). What do you think people would be prepared to pay for them and is there much of a demand?
Luigi Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/humour.html www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/antifaq.html http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_Woodworking
Roy <put an RP here> wrote:

Yeah, but it looks like you have to supply your own point.
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland
Lawrence Wasserman wrote:

I get the point.
On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 16:03:19 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@fellspt.charm.net (Lawrence Wasserman) wrote:

They keep those in a different warehouse. Just make sure you order as many boxes of points as you order sticks.

Damn. Like shaving appliances. Give 'em the stick and sell 'em the points...
--
"I'm a man, but I can change... If I have to... I guess." -- Red Green

"Mark & Juanita" wrote in message

Except in San Francisco ... where only blunts are allowed, and only outlaws have points.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/05
On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 16:03:19 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@fellspt.charm.net (Lawrence Wasserman) wrote:

There's a bunch of you making way too many disparaging remarks about tipi poles of late. Just going to pick on Lawrence's post to rebut all y'all.
Hey, I consider something that tapers from 4-5 inches across to 3/8 inch across over 26-28 feet in length to be pretty pointy. It ain't sharp, I admit, but it sure has a pointy shape. If you shrunk that pole down to needle size, it would be sharp AND pointy.
Visualize a tipi pole as a giant needle that you thread with a 3 inch rope. Got that image firmly in your head? mmmh??
If you do, you need to get out in the shop and make some sawdust. Something's wrong with you folks if you have to make unkind jokes about another man's tipi poles, and sawdust will fix it. And before all y'all ask, no, you can't cut up my set of poles. I need 'em myself for the lodge as the stakes are way too short to hold up the cover let alone the liner, ozan and door.
Hmmph.
Regards, Roy
Lawrence Wasserman wrote:

Actually, the Mother of All Pointy Sticks dates back to the paleomezocretatianous period - developed by a little black lady in Africa. I think she was mentioned in Alex Haley's book.
http://home.comcast.net/~charliebcz/PointyStick/PS2History0.html
charlie b
Sat, Nov 19, 2005, 3:17pm (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@accesscom.com (charlieb) Actually, the Mother of All Pointy Sticks dates back to the paleomezocretatianous period - developed by a little black lady in Africa. <snip>
Did she leave any plans, and if so, are they copyrighted, or public domain?
JOAT Just pretend I'm not here. That's what I'm doing.
On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 19:42:48 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

Unfortunately she was an ancestor of the late W Disney, so even though she has been dead for millenia, her works are preserved by copyright law; each time her works would nearly get to public domain, new laws were passed keeping them protected. :-)