The latest completed project

Well not the latest, the next to last. The same customer hired me to fill one of her closets with shelving.
Anyway this was for a customer that needed more storage spac4e in her kitchen. The piece is 42" tall 60" wide, and 20" deep. White Oak with a clear finish.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/14830759132/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/14831120485/
Today I bought 60 linear feet of 1x8 African mahogany and a sheet of the same in 1/4". This is going to be used to build a federal style head board to match the rest of their bedroom furniture. It will be stained with a Colonial Cherry Gel varnish followed with a clear gel varnish. This piece will have a little bit of spindle work in the center.
And hopefully after that I get the bid for an entertainment center that I designed for a referred customer.
And hopefully before the end of the year a small glass box for a repeat customer.
Ad then back to my wife's sewing room.
Oh and then the couple that wants a copy of our "tower" project bedroom. We will see on that one.. ;~)
and then maybe my son's dining room table.......
On Monday, August 4, 2014 5:22:59 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

ar ... And then back to my wife's sewing room. Oh and then ....and then.../ ..
Love those repeat and referred customers. Her storage cabinet looks nice. Good job.
I've been swamped with repeat and referred upholstery customers, lately. Between that, family reunion weekend, getting a $350 Unisaw in shop-shape a nd lawn maintenance, I barely have time to play in the woodshop, but parts of the trestle table and a recently started fireplace/mantle project are g etting done, little by little.
I'm having some difficulty with the trestle board assembling into the leg u nits. The trestle board has two 1X4 tenons on each end and fitting them int o the double mortises, in each leg unit, is proving a challenge. The fitti ngs are really snug, too snug, for ease of insertions, as I would like.... as easy as I had hoped it would have been. ... but I do want them as snug a s possible, before keying them securely. A touch more sanding and those fi ttings should be easier.
Sonny
On 8/4/2014 9:40 PM, Sonny wrote:

Yes repeaters and referrals seem to be an easier sell as they already have seen your work and know about what to expect to pay.
Thank you!

Little by little will get you there. ;~)
Beautiful. Elegant. Just plain nice.
Larry
On 8/4/2014 9:44 PM, Gramps' shop wrote:

Thank you. She did not want fancy so much as solid and built to last.

That is the beauty of working from accurate drawings, using accurate measuring devices, and the skill to combine the two. Think of all of the commercial aircraft being built nowadays on different continents sometimes, and all fitting together, with all of the complexity of those parts. That one still amazes me, at times.
--
Jim in NC

On 8/4/14, 4:22 PM, Leon wrote:

WTF is with that third picture! Scared the beejeezus outta me!
Other than that, nice work Leon. I'm building a set of white oak end tables for the gallery that should be done soon (plan on fuming). Wood prices have been jumping around, just paid $3.86 bd-ft for the oak (4/4) but Cherry has dropped to under $4 which is 'refreshing'.
-BR

--- ---
On 8/9/2014 9:24 AM, Brewster wrote:

The video? I was doing the picture is worth a thousand words thing. Dave was inquiring about how much to apply at a time and how soon to wipe down. This is Old Masters gel varnish, if you don't immediately wipe down the excess and the buff with a separate towel the varnish can take 2~4 days to dry. and if you wait as much as a minute before the wipe and buff the towels will stick to the surface.

Thank you. For S4S 1x8 white oak I am paying $3.99 per LF, IIRC about $3.25 per BF for S3S. The S4S saves me much more in the time that it saves.
It has been a few years since I have priced cherry, 5+

On 8/9/2014 11:40 AM, Leon wrote:

Just paid, for S2S1E, 6/4, _quarter sawn_ white oak, $8.75/bf, and can't even find enough of it locally, yet, to finish the project.
Hardwood Products doesn't carry it; Houston Hardwood's does not look like the FAS they advertise; and Clark's is supposed to be getting a shipment in to mill when??, and Mason Mill and Lumber won't let you pick and chose last time I was there a few years back.
Thinking about heading up 59N into East Texas this next week to look around, need about 30/bf 4/4. Want to go?
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 8/9/2014 1:27 PM, Swingman wrote:

What'cha building?

Perhaps, where do you plan to go?
On 8/9/14, 10:40 AM, Leon wrote:

Naw. I now realize flickr throws up random ad pictures as someone clicks through your album. I was checking out the proportions of your cabinet then up popped a picture of Hillary (shudder).
-BR
--- ---
On Sunday, August 10, 2014 8:49:50 AM UTC-5, Brewster wrote:

Shudder is right. That has to be one of the worse kinds of internet virus-like phenomenon.
Sonny