The Inheritance

Based on past experience I would say this is a true story.

JOAT You'll never get anywhere if you believe what you "hear". What do you "know"?.

- Granny Weatherwax

Reply to
J T

Glad I only have one brother.

Reply to
RayV

Good Story and it looks like Walt Akers wrote it. I miss him and his stories.

Reply to
Leon

Kind of a sad story, IMO.

What a family. Everyone gathers after a death to raid the shop of dead family member. The author was "fuming" because he missed out on the feeding frenzy by talking to the widow (and only because his wife "made" him).

I hope that when I die, my siblings won't be celebrating the chance to raid my shop and have such disregard for my wife.

Reply to
bf

Likewise. I wonder what the full story is, as several others of his have been trimmed for publication. Never mind wondering, it's available again/still

Joe Gorman

Recently one of the long time members of a local woodworking club passed on. The club took it upon themselves to auction off his stuff to raise money to help the widow. Lowballing was _not_ appreciated.

In another vein, I have a friend who is the master of the deal, often walking away from garage sales and auctions having paid next to nothing for some serious something. He has more crap than you can shake a stick at. I asked him what was going to happen when he kicked, and he said, "Well, my wife will probably sell the stuff for pennies on the dollar just like how I bought it." I nearly died laughing.

RicodJour

Sounds kinda self centered.

Reply to
Leon

I am sorry, I misread wife for life. I retract my comment.

Reply to
Leon

Ah the oh so festive feeding frenzy after a death....Do you ask at the funeral? Do you seek out the dearly departeds family the following day? Do you ask a closer relative?

Decisions decisions.....

The best way to test the old family ties is to have somebody die with a few little bits and pieces that needed divied up... Whoo hoo

True story. Aunt passes away...while the family was at the funeral a close personal "Friend" who was too upset to attend the funeral cleared out the house of a few "worthless" momentos. They got caught when she served one of the family members on the china that "vanished" from granda's cabinet......What followed was rather ugly/amusing depending on your point of view....

Great story though!!!

Reply to
bremen68

If you ask her, I'm sure she'll say there had _better_ not be a difference between the two! ;)

RicodJour

That brings up a good point. I don't know if any of you all have thought about it or not, but what would you do with your stuff if (no, not if, when) you passed on and you had no known kin folk to fight over it? I've got no siblings I know of, and being orphaned, no parents that I know of. Settlement of the state??? Will it to friends?? Inquiring minds you know.

Reply to
Tim Taylor

Feel free to add me to your will.

Reply to
RayV

LOL!! Your there buddy!

Reply to
Tim Taylor

The question is *where* do you want your stuff to go? I've named my best friend sole beneficiary and executor of my estate. I've left him with strict instructions that if/when my brother or sister come calling, that they get exactly nothing. Considering that my siblings have been busy with their own lives for the past twenty years and *only* contacted me when they wanted something, I'm subscribing to what goes around, comes around.

Reply to
Upscale

At least you have a chance. In my case, a husband of my wife's niece anything worth keeping and the niece crashed his cherry '64 Chevy with only

30k original miles.
Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Maybe you could make a school or wood working club beneficiary of your life long collection. ______________________________ Keep the whole world singing . . . . DanG (remove the sevens) snipped-for-privacy@7cox.net

Reply to
DanG