The Impotance Of Being Earnest

Page 3 of 3
On Wed, 1 Oct 2008 18:25:27 -0700 (PDT), Tom Watson
Nice rant Tom. ;-) Since I'm still out there trimming homes I can relate to a lot of it.

Ideally, if you're manufacturing the rail, I think you want grain and color to match. Out here in the field, the railing that we see (from 4 different major manufactures) is made of so many pieces that there is no way to make a match.

This guy was either taught by someone who didn't know any better or never learned what he was taught. I guess that's where you come in...??

I think this is kind of a change in design over time. I've been trimming homes for so long that I can remember the day when we always had 6/8 doors and all the windows matched them for height. Now, with varied ceiling heights and seemingly more consideration for design of the elevation, we see so many different window and door sizes that matching window trim height is no longer much of a design consideration.

My guess is, this is a lazy framer. Most drawings will have the openings centered (it's easy to draw it in the right place) but a lot of framers don't give a shit. This is an example where I think there are fewer experienced craftsman framing houses and fewer still who learned from a good craftsman. Of course cussing the framer is a favorite pastime of a finish carpenter so I could be wrong.

Hell, I'm just starting to have fun....we can keep going if you like...;-)
Mike O.

Have you read "House" by Tracy Kidder? (He also wrote a book that was one of the seminal works of the dawn of computer age, "The Soul of a New Machine")
If you've read it, fine. If not, run, don't walk ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/18/08

Tom G.

"Tom G" wrote

That's not being a "perfectionist", that's OCD ... like the Jack Nicholson character in "As Good As It Gets".
That said, being a perfectionist may be the next to last step over that cliff.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/18/08
Tom Watson wrote:

Clearly, they've hired the guy w/ the eye for what's needed; question is whether you can change the corporate mentality and whether they'll think the effort/cost worth it and enhance revenue in the longer term (which, after all, is the whole point one would presume).