The hund for a replacement drilll press, sorta long

Page 2 of 4

I've never seen anything but high quality from Kennametal.
"CW" wrote:

The was a time when Kennametal produced some very high quality, sintered metal tooling inserts; however, I've been away from that part of the business long enough to have only historical knowledge of Kennemetal.
Lew

Kennemetal makes the double angle collet chucks we use on the high volume machines we sell. Decent product. Mediocre stock levels for the version we use as we might be the only ues using it. Price is a bit high, but when you buy a machine like mine, the price of the chuck is almost insignificant anyhow... Not that I'm high priced, but a $3-5000 set-up outshines a $200 chuck on the invoice.
If the bits ar the same quality as the chucks, they're decent or better.
Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. (800) 871-5022 01.908.542.0244 Automatic / Pneumatic Drills: http://www.AutoDrill.com Multiple Spindle Drills: http://www.Multi-Drill.com Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-N-Tap.com
V8013-R

Instead of spending a lot of money on drill bits, buy a decent quality set and a Drill Doctor. I've got one I've had for about 15 years and haven't bought any drill bits since.
YMMV
Larry

FWW did a comparison a year(2-3?) or so ago. Based on that, I bought a Ridgid and I am very pleased. Helluva deal too. IIRC, it had the lowest run-out of any of them. They really liked the Delta too, again, IIRC.
snip
FWW did a comparison a year(2-3?) or so ago. Based on that, I bought a Ridgid and I am very pleased. Helluva deal too. IIRC, it had the lowest run-out of any of them. They really liked the Delta too, again, IIRC.
I'll take a look back. I looked at the Ridgid at the show, it has a really good price and was discounted more at the show, $270 IIRC. And you cannot beat the warranty. The deal breaker here is that it has a short quill travel, I really want close to 5" or more. Thanks for the input.

Gee Leon, you think they make a drill press on this planet that meets your specifications?
Just kidding. You do have a long list of requirements. I will just comment on a couple things I know about drill presses. I have used different drill presses for over 35 years. Probably equal woodworking and metal working.
One of the big problems I had with many drill presses was that they did not have a slow enough speed for me to use a drill bit of any size on metal. So I sought out bigger drill presses and more speeds. After trying different brands, I settled on Grizzly and bought several of their drill presses both for myself and others. Nothing fancy. Just big enough to do the job, enough speeds and reasonably priced.
The Grizzly G7947 and the G7948 both have 4 - 3/4" spindle travel. Some of their bigger units have 5" plus spindle travel.
Here are my drill press tips.
1. Always buy a floor model.
2. Always buy a minimum of a 17" model. Bigger is better.
3. Never buy less than 12 speeds.
4. Get the biggest table you can. This allows you to bolt on specialized tables and jigs more easily.
5. Always bolt the drill press to a peice of plywood or an extended base. They will always tip over at the most inopportune time. And often with deadly safety issues.
6. Build specialized jigs and tables for your drill preses. This greatly increases production and safety.
7. If you must install a mobile base, install it on the extended base. Drill presses on wheels are a disaster waiting to happen. They tip so easily.
8. Install good lighting to the drill press. Most of them have lights, but the need more. The surface area should be well lit for accuracy and safety reasons.
9. Always have a small cart, bench or whatever handy and close to put your tools, measuring devices, etc. Anything loose on a drill press table can easily become a deadly projectile. Be safe.
I should mention that when drilling metal, I often had to drill holes in subassemblies. This meant drilling heights would vary up to three feet. Our way of doing this was to build wood jigs that held the metal to the proper height. It took a little work to set up the initial hole. But the others followed quickly with the change of the drilling platform that swapped out and in easily.
I have no idea if this would help your situation or not. Just a suggestion.
Well now, I seemed to be all tapped out of drill press wisdom. Good luck on your search.
Lee Michaels
On Apr 16, 11:06am, "Lee Michaels"
A great post on drill press use and info, Lee. Good stuff, then I got to this:

I heard the cymbal crash, the ba-da-bump!, and all I needed was the "HIYO" from Ed McMahon.
Here till the end of the week?
;^)
Robert
A great post on drill press use and info, Lee. Good stuff, then I got to this:

I heard the cymbal crash, the ba-da-bump!, and all I needed was the "HIYO" from Ed McMahon.
Here till the end of the week? ============================= Gee thanks Robert. That means a lot coming from you. I wish a had a joke ready to go, but alas, you caught me sans joke. Ohhhhh, welllll.....
Lee

Try the veal, don't forget to tip your waitress.........
Great "tip" on the adding a bigger plywood base to avoid the tipping issue.
I watched craigslist for a long time trying to get a 1hp drill press with the biggest base possible. I felt pretty lucky finding a 20" Crapsman that had a brand new 1hp motor for $100. Unfortunately the fricking shaft has some hellacious run out. I suppose the same guy who fried the motor tweaked the shaft. Oh well, OK for $100. However, I cringe everytime I walk by the thing and actually tucked it in between to heavier machines as a "fall back" for when it tips over. I was thinking I would wedge anchor it down. The engineering of such a small base seems really stupid. Plywood to the rescue. Smart!

Great "tip" on the adding a bigger plywood base to avoid the tipping issue.
I watched craigslist for a long time trying to get a 1hp drill press with the biggest base possible. I felt pretty lucky finding a 20" Crapsman that had a brand new 1hp motor for $100. Unfortunately the fricking shaft has some hellacious run out. I suppose the same guy who fried the motor tweaked the shaft. Oh well, OK for $100. However, I cringe everytime I walk by the thing and actually tucked it in between to heavier machines as a "fall back" for when it tips over. I was thinking I would wedge anchor it down. The engineering of such a small base seems really stupid. Plywood to the rescue. Smart! ======================================== Another trick we used ws to install some kind of hardware on the forward edge of the plywood. Several things will work. We used everything from an eyebolt to a swivel D ring. We would put some rope through it and pull everytime we needed to move the drill press. To move it back or sideways, we just grabbed the support post. But this was often impossible to move it out from the wall. That is why we added the rope thingy to the front of the plywood.
Snip
Crapsman that had a brand new 1hp motor for $100. Unfortunately the fricking shaft has some hellacious run out.
In all my searching and coming up to speed with what is available today I have not yet run across a DP with a "fickeing shaft". What does that do? :~)