The hund for a replacement drilll press, sorta long

Leon asked:

There was a time, back when they were my customer, I would have said Cleveland Twist Drill without a moments hestitation.

Today, Cleveland Twist Drill is part of the Kennametal IPG (Industrial Products Group) family of quality cutting tools and I don't have a clue.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Crapsman that had a brand new 1hp motor for $100. Unfortunately the fricking shaft has some hellacious run out.

In all my searching and coming up to speed with what is available today I have not yet run across a DP with a "fickeing shaft". What does that do? :~)

Reply to
Leon

Typically I tighten the chuck so tight that I have difficulty loostening it up, hense the comment about a user friendly key. Acutally I have been using cordless and corded drills since the early 90's that all have keyless chucks, my Pansaonic was the first. I have not had a problem with slippage with any of the keyless chucks. I herard long ago that keyless more evenly tightens down and provides a better grip. That comment may have been made as a compairison to keyed chucks and not using all 3 holes to evenly tighten the chuck, which I do. The problem is that I only use 1 hole to loosen, maybe if I gave all 3.....

I think I am looking at the one a step above, newly introduced IIRC. It has a longer quill travel and appears to have a larger base.

Thanks for the input.

Reply to
Leon

----- Original Message ----- From: "Lee Michaels" Newsgroups: rec.woodworking Sent: Thursday, April 16, 2009 11:06 AM Subject: Re: The hund for a replacement drilll press, sorta long

Snip

3 come close! LOL. I have not see the17" Craftsman up close, I like the Steel City with the 6" stroke but I like the Delta with it's multi-directional tilt table.

Well I want to up grade. My Rockwell has served me well and continues to run well. Set up is a B____ thoutgh.

That is what I am finding and expecially on the variable speed models. The couple that I am focusing on go down to 215 rpm IIRC. I drill a lot of 35 mm holes for Euro hinges and the recomended speed for that sized Forstner bit is 250 rpm.

So

I'll look over there again.

Thank you Lee, I'll keep all of that in consideration.

Reply to
Leon

I'll check'um out Lew, thanks.

Reply to
Leon

Thank you Robert, just took a quick look and I immediately saw a comment about "Chicago Latrobe" bits and apparently he is getting pretty good mileage out of them. Seems every time I pull a bit out of my box it is the only dull one in the box. I grab the next over sized or under sized bit and it is fine. Perhaps I should go for the next up or down wrong size more often.

Reply to
Leon

Like a lot of things, it's a matter of size.

1/2" and smaller chucks usually found on hand held drills are great for keyless chucks.

OTOH, a drill press, bench or floor, will typically have at least a

5/8", more likely 3/4" chuck.

A keyed chuck above 1/2" has a lot going for it., IMHO.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Oh C R A P, I just looked up one of the brands mentioned. A single 7.5 mm bit just over 4.5" long sells for ........ One hundred fifty four DOLLARS.

Reply to
Leon

Ok then, 2 votes NO against the keyless. I'll forget about that. That takes, thank goodness, Craftsman out of the hunt.

Reply to
Leon

Any particular reason? I often see floor models "Loosely Assembled" and or assembled wrong. I was also considering the fact that assembled may be harder to transport from the store.

A local dealer that has been in business 50 + years and offers free assembly and adjustment or free delivery with in 50 miles.

Reply to
Leon

I've never seen anything but high quality from Kennametal.

Reply to
CW

The was a time when Kennametal produced some very high quality, sintered metal tooling inserts; however, I've been away from that part of the business long enough to have only historical knowledge of Kennemetal.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Excellent post, Lee! And duly saved in the archives. I already have a DP, but, if Leon's Rockwell suddenly shows up for sale ....

:)

Reply to
Swingman

I am seriously thinking about having a yard sale, Drill press, jointer, and portable plainer, and a 556 PC Biscuit Cutter I wonder how long they will last? LOL

If you are seriously interested I will send a picture of it and the boat. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Here's a 16-speed (220-3600 rpm), 3/4 hp, floor drill press for $190. You'll probably have to provide your own keyless chuck.

HeyBub

Ahhhhh...., Leon has a background in retail!! I shoulda known that.

What is the term I am looking for here? Ya know, one that sits on the floor. Or should I say STANDS on a floor. Ya know, the tall one. NOT a bench model. They usually come unassembled and you have to put them together.

An example is the Grizzly G7948 is described in the catalog as a G7948 12 Speed 20" Floor Drill Press,

If you buy from a distant location, you will get everything in boxes anyway. You do the assembly.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

That's why pliers were invented.

My experience is it is a great depth gage if you use pliers for final setting.

A 16-speed, 3/4 hp, floor drill press Is pretty basic "jelly bean" offering.

Uses 3 sheaves and 2 belts to make speed changes.

Never had a problem with vibration on mine.

Make sure you have a gear and rack to lift/lower table.

Make sure quill is equipped with std morse taper (Joe AutoDrill time).

Equip with a removeable machinest vice to insure easy location of drill bit on work piece.

(Drilling a hole 1/64 off sucks)

IMHO, a drill press is definitely a KISS product.

Have fun.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

"Leon" wrote

You are welcome Leon.

Now I am dying to find out which one you buy. Don't keep us in suspense!

Reply to
Lee Michaels

"Swingman" wrote

Damn! Compliments from both Robert and Karl. That doesn't happen very often.

Everything is OK. Everything is alright.

Thanks Karl.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

"HeyBub" wrote

saw or the Festools. It just wouldn't MATCH, you know. :-)

Reply to
Lee Michaels