The hund for a replacement drilll press, sorta long

I have a 30 year old Rockwell 36" bench top radial drill press. I have had it for 30 years. I do not use it as much as I did in the past although I did recently design, build, and post pictures of a new DP table that I attached to the DP recently and found that I am actually using the drill press more. I found that using adjustable clamps and a straight piece of wood as a fence was way more trouble than my current set up. I am thinking with more convenient and time saving features I may use my/a DP for more than just drilling 35 mm holes in cabinet doors.

For reference, my Rockwell DP has 4 speeds, fast, more faster, still faster than more faster, and the more fasterest speed. Translation, 700,

1250, 2400, and 4700 rpm. First off 700 rpm is too fast for 75% of my Forstner bits. 4700 rpm makes the DP vibrate so badly that drilling at that speed is not an option, I think that is a speed best used with a cotton buffing wheel. Actually most Forstner bits over 1" in diameter should be spinning at around 250 rpm for best results and longevity. My Rockwell has a manual table height adjustment. I really like the clamping levers on the DP, they are heavy and comfortable however once you loosen them you need to be ready for the table to drop. This can be a real problem if you need to raise the table a very short distance, it always ends up dropping the table a bit, then you wiggle it back and forth while lifting up, and finally clamping it in place and checking for proper height again. If the table fence was in a particular location it now needs to be repositioned because of the wiggling back and forth. My Rockwell uses 2 nuts separated by a flat washer to limit down travel of the quill. For the height nuts to stay in place I have to tighten them against each other with a pair of pliers, they tend to work loose and do that "Craftsman router thing" if I simply hand tighten them. That ain't right! My Rockwell has 3.125" of quill travel. This simply is not enough. I find that because of that limited travel I have to readjust table height more often than not. Because of the limited quill travel the table has to be closer to the chuck and again more often than not the end of the lever used to feed the quill ends up hitting the table and then I have to readjust the table. My Rockwell being a bench top variety limits the size of stock to be drilled, drilling into the end of a table leg would be out of the question, if I ever had a need to do this. My Rockwell has only "2" table adjustments, height and side to side, No Tilt. With a radial DP you drill at an angle by tilting the top end, the motor and head stock. Doing this however usually requires the readjustment of the table and you lose drilling depth more and more the farther away you get from the 90 degree setting. Because my Rockwell is a radial design it can drill to the center of a 36" wide panel. This is one very nice feature but I never use it. I basically always keep the location of the chuck about 8" out. My Rockwell had 4 speeds and changing speeds requires careful consideration in the art of "pulley jumping". There is no "easy" way to loosen the belt. Pinched fingers are common if you do not plan and carefully orchestrate the maneuver.

Sooooo I think I would enjoy a DP with new/better features. I believe that I would like to go with a more traditional DP, a floor model. These actually have a smaller foot print then my radial style DP. Front to back my DP is around 40" and it stands about 67" tall on its dedicated steel and mobile stand. So here are the features I am interested in.

  1. Larger variety of speeds and in particular a low speed at or below 250 rpm. Variable speed "seems" like a nice feature however I have used the Powermatic DP with variable speed on two occasions and it was very noisy. I have also noticed that every variable speed DP that I have looked into has a low speed of 400 rpm, faster than I want.
  2. An easier and quicker to adjust quill dept adjustment, perhaps the push button and spin variety vs. the two nut design. I hate spinning 2 nuts up to 3" and that would be even worse with my next #3 item below.
  3. Longer quill travel, I am thinking "at least" close to 5" or more.
  4. Easier to adjust table height, I think this is going to be a sure thing with most any model these days.
  5. Tilt table, most tilt left and right a few do that and tilt forward. I am leaning towards the ones that tilt forward also.
  6. Keyless Chuck? the Powermatic I used has one however I did not install or remove the bit so I don't really know if this would be better. I wonder if it would be more difficult to use as all that I have seen require 2 hands to tighten and keeping the bit in place "might be a problem". Very minimum I would want a chuck with a user friendly key.
  7. Laser? I really have no problem with locating "exactly where I want to drill a hole however locating a larger Forstner bit can be a bit more difficult. Do the lasers afford accuracy within 1/64"?
  8. Regular V-belt or the newer flat ribbed serpentine style belt? Is vibration an issue with the 2 belt 3 pulley configuration and do either of the style belts have less tendency of causing vibration?
  9. Brand? Powermatic is out, only one style is available and it is variable speed and about 0. Craftsman? I know, but it may be manufactured in the same factory as all the others, perhaps. The Craftsman does offer a keyless chuck on all but the most expensive floor models. That may be telling me something right there. Jet? Not enough quill travel. Steel City? This is the brand that got my attention and interest in looking into an upgrade. Delta? The latest 17" version seems to have it all except for the keyless chuck. IIRC it has regular V belts and the table that tilts left, right, and forward. Laguna? Oddly, very competitively priced but appears to be made in the same factories as the other brands, but only had a
3.5" quill travel. Grizzly? IIRC limited quill travel. Rikon? I don't remember but I still have that taste in my mouth from the 18" BS that I briefly owned. Factory help was not beneficial in solving "my" problems.

Any suggestions? What to look for, look out for?

Thanks.

Reply to
Leon

Leon,

This will probably only get you started but...

Here are the estimated prices and basic HP ratings of a few:

Delta DP400 or 17-900 (3/4 HP $400) Jet JDP-17MF (3/4 HP $550) Grizzly #G7944 (3/4 HP $325) Grainger #3Z917 (1/2 HP $650) Jet JDP-20MF (1-1/2 HP $1100) Grizzly #G7948 (1-1/2 HP, $625) Grainger #3Z919 (1 HP, $1100) Ellis #9400 (2 HP, $2000-3000 - Ask for dealer pricing) Grizzly #G0521 [Drill/Tap Machine] (2 HP, 3 Phase, $1250)

One benefit of the G0521 is the fact that you can tap holes without having to purchase a tapping head. It has a built in, self reversing spindle option.

One of the most important things to know is the horsepower requirement and RPM needs for your applications. You can see the following web pages for charts to calculate your actual needs in very basic form:

Agro, Jr. (800) 871-5022

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

feature is something that I have not really considered or for that matter even knew existed. I'll try to go with at least 3/4" hp as you suggest. That is really what I have been looking at, oddly my Rockwell have never "seemed" to be low on power even with it's 1/3 hp motor. I'm sure twice as much power would come in handy with the larger bits. So far and similar to your first suggestion I am looking closely at the Delta 17-959L, $579 locally.

Thanks again for you expert input and links, I'll check'em out.

Reply to
Leon

And while I have you attention, can you recommend an affordable and good brand or type of HS drill bit for drilling in mild steel, etc. I had a week moment at the wood show 2 weeks ago and the Snake Oil peddler reeled me in. I am sure you have heard od BAD DOG drill bits, I bought'em and took'em back the next day.

Reply to
Leon

FWW did a comparison a year(2-3?) or so ago. Based on that, I bought a Ridgid and I am very pleased. Helluva deal too. IIRC, it had the lowest run-out of any of them. They really liked the Delta too, again, IIRC.

Reply to
Robatoy

FWW did a comparison a year(2-3?) or so ago. Based on that, I bought a Ridgid and I am very pleased. Helluva deal too. IIRC, it had the lowest run-out of any of them. They really liked the Delta too, again, IIRC.

I'll take a look back. I looked at the Ridgid at the show, it has a really good price and was discounted more at the show, $270 IIRC. And you cannot beat the warranty. The deal breaker here is that it has a short quill travel, I really want close to 5" or more. Thanks for the input.

Reply to
Leon

See if this works - it may not work due to the wrap:

or

good discussion there about drill bits and their use by the knife making community. Some of those guys drill a billion holes with their bits. Quite an assortment of folks with an opinion on bits, all the way from the casual builder to the registered bladesmith.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Gee Leon, you think they make a drill press on this planet that meets your specifications?

Just kidding. You do have a long list of requirements. I will just comment on a couple things I know about drill presses. I have used different drill presses for over 35 years. Probably equal woodworking and metal working.

One of the big problems I had with many drill presses was that they did not have a slow enough speed for me to use a drill bit of any size on metal. So I sought out bigger drill presses and more speeds. After trying different brands, I settled on Grizzly and bought several of their drill presses both for myself and others. Nothing fancy. Just big enough to do the job, enough speeds and reasonably priced.

The Grizzly G7947 and the G7948 both have 4 - 3/4" spindle travel. Some of their bigger units have 5" plus spindle travel.

Here are my drill press tips.

  1. Always buy a floor model.

  1. Always buy a minimum of a 17" model. Bigger is better.

  2. Never buy less than 12 speeds.

  1. Get the biggest table you can. This allows you to bolt on specialized tables and jigs more easily.

  2. Always bolt the drill press to a peice of plywood or an extended base. They will always tip over at the most inopportune time. And often with deadly safety issues.

  1. Build specialized jigs and tables for your drill preses. This greatly increases production and safety.

  2. If you must install a mobile base, install it on the extended base. Drill presses on wheels are a disaster waiting to happen. They tip so easily.

  1. Install good lighting to the drill press. Most of them have lights, but the need more. The surface area should be well lit for accuracy and safety reasons.

  2. Always have a small cart, bench or whatever handy and close to put your tools, measuring devices, etc. Anything loose on a drill press table can easily become a deadly projectile. Be safe.

I should mention that when drilling metal, I often had to drill holes in subassemblies. This meant drilling heights would vary up to three feet. Our way of doing this was to build wood jigs that held the metal to the proper height. It took a little work to set up the initial hole. But the others followed quickly with the change of the drilling platform that swapped out and in easily.

I have no idea if this would help your situation or not. Just a suggestion.

Well now, I seemed to be all tapped out of drill press wisdom. Good luck on your search.

Lee Michaels

Reply to
Lee Michaels

A great post on drill press use and info, Lee. Good stuff, then I got to this:

I heard the cymbal crash, the ba-da-bump!, and all I needed was the "HIYO" from Ed McMahon.

Here till the end of the week?

;^)

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

A great post on drill press use and info, Lee. Good stuff, then I got to this:

I heard the cymbal crash, the ba-da-bump!, and all I needed was the "HIYO" from Ed McMahon.

Here till the end of the week? ==============================

Gee thanks Robert. That means a lot coming from you. I wish a had a joke ready to go, but alas, you caught me sans joke. Ohhhhh, welllll.....

Lee

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Leon, I was impressed with that one when I worked at Woodcraft. I built a forward-tilting table for my benchtop DP so it would tilt in both axes. Delta is the 1st commercial product I've seen with that capability.

But if you have a soft spot for radial, Delta makes one. Rikon makes two :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Great "tip" on the adding a bigger plywood base to avoid the tipping issue.

I watched craigslist for a long time trying to get a 1hp drill press with the biggest base possible. I felt pretty lucky finding a 20" Crapsman that had a brand new 1hp motor for $100. Unfortunately the fricking shaft has some hellacious run out. I suppose the same guy who fried the motor tweaked the shaft. Oh well, OK for $100. However, I cringe everytime I walk by the thing and actually tucked it in between to heavier machines as a "fall back" for when it tips over. I was thinking I would wedge anchor it down. The engineering of such a small base seems really stupid. Plywood to the rescue. Smart!

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

I watched craigslist for a long time trying to get a 1hp drill press with the biggest base possible. I felt pretty lucky finding a 20" Crapsman that had a brand new 1hp motor for $100. Unfortunately the fricking shaft has some hellacious run out. I suppose the same guy who fried the motor tweaked the shaft. Oh well, OK for $100. However, I cringe everytime I walk by the thing and actually tucked it in between to heavier machines as a "fall back" for when it tips over. I was thinking I would wedge anchor it down. The engineering of such a small base seems really stupid. Plywood to the rescue. Smart! =========================================

Another trick we used ws to install some kind of hardware on the forward edge of the plywood. Several things will work. We used everything from an eyebolt to a swivel D ring. We would put some rope through it and pull everytime we needed to move the drill press. To move it back or sideways, we just grabbed the support post. But this was often impossible to move it out from the wall. That is why we added the rope thingy to the front of the plywood.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

A billion? *wringing my hands in wrath-like fashion...*

Let's see now. 1 per second? That would be 31 years of continuous drilling.

Reply to
Robatoy

Try the veal, don't forget to tip your waitress.........

Reply to
Robatoy

I have the Delta and I'm not sure why the need for the keyless chuck.

I would want to be able to really crank down on larger bits and a keyless chuck ain't up to that task.

The Delta I have is the laser model and even that is pretty nice. The table is quite large and has removable inserts.

- 3000 RPMs

Leon wrote: Delta? The latest 17" version seems to have it all except for the keyless chuck. IIRC it has regular V belts and the table that tilts left, right, and forward.

Reply to
Pat Barber

Leon,

Believe it or not, I generally stay out of the discussions on tooling because it is such a varied and diverse subject... I can sell the machines but don't know squat about tooling per say... McMaster Carr is my friend.

I'd ask in rec.crafts.metalworking for the best answers...

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. (800) 871-5022

01.908.542.0244 Automatic / Pneumatic Drills:
Spindle Drills:
Site:
Joe AutoDrill

I think you are right about the table tilt.

Yeah, it is a nice feature if you need it but I really have not had the need in 30 years. I got mide as a reward through the GM Maritz program, meeting sales quotas. I think I would like to use the table tilt feature over the head tilt feature.

Reply to
Leon

A billion? *wringing my hands in wrath-like fashion...*

Let's see now. 1 per second? That would be 31 years of continuous drilling.

LOL, I think you have a Touché on Robert.

Reply to
Leon

Honest answer Joe, Thank you.

Reply to