The General Router.

Many here have enjoyed the power and reliability of General power tools.
I'm particularly proud of this achievement as it involves (near) local talent and the machine is an absolute delight. I have been working with this machine and its forefathers over the last few months and took delivery of an actual production version. I want to thank David Eisen for introducing me to these adventurous craftsmen.
Going into full production next week, I introduce my new toy^H^H^H^tool:
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o290/Robatoy/ET3.jpg
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o290/Robatoy/ET2.jpg
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o290/Robatoy/ET1.jpg

That is some serious router.
What are you going to be manufacturing with this beast?

A unique line of solid surface vanity tops with countersunk soap- dishes, undermounted solid surface sinks, fluid shapes and inlaid flourishes. Perhaps floral patterns, scrolley and leafy stuff. Then, the cut-outs from the sinks, will turn into house numbers, serving platters for dog-food dishes, with Fido's name engraved, there's no end what that thing is going to be doing. Oh.. and 117 window sills for a hospital.

SNIP
Now that's just way too cool. I hope you post some pics when you do your first masterpiece.
Robert
Robatoy wrote:

Mighty impressive. That is CNC, right?
--

-MIKE-

Indeed it is a CNC. With the probe, it is also a digitiser, which comes in handy when duplicating a piece of moulding one might need during a restoration project. The other thing it is good at, is to take a slice off a window trim, scanning or digitising the profile, then extruding it along an arc, nice for all them cussed palladium windows.
It also sculpts HDF for mould-making so one can design and pour concrete corbels etc.
Here's another use: (not mine)
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o290/Robatoy/IMG_2876.jpg
and, of course, guitar bodies. I will eventually digitise my Telecaster and do a solid rosewood version... IF I will ever have time.
Hello Rob,
Where didja buy it?
David.

Direct from Gorilla. I gave them a deposit before the General deal gelled. I snuck in under the wire. Made about a 5K difference. Plus I got some options specific for my business. Will you be a dealer as well? I think it would be a nice fit.
These guys came on board although I have no idea about the numbers they are doing. http://tinyurl.com/57dk73
If you become a dealer ( if you aren't already simply via your relationship with General already), I will work with you on demos etc.
In article <b296c7db-d4d5-4c9e-b195-cc8906263b6f@

Did they really mean to say "General offers Gorilla Suit"....
ROTFLMAO
@yahoo.com says...

Following up... after reading further, "No they did not." <g>
gelled. I snuck in under the wire. Made about a 5K difference. Plus I got some options specific for my business.
When I was at the People in Motion show in Toronto this summer supporting General with their line of lowered woodworking machinery, they also had a table mounted CNC machine there retailing for about $6000.
They were trying to push the idea that with a relatively minimum investment, one could go into the raised relief sign business. It was something to consider.

There are some really neat small CNC routers around. Some are quite capable. There is a whole community that home-build CNC machines. All the parts are available to anybody. Quite an intriguing bunch, really. Nary a day goes by without my visiting the different forums (fora to Watson <g>). I am desperately trying to hang on to the creative/fun aspect of this machine without feeling the need to crank out product in mega quantities.
For some damned reason the atelier/studio concept always seems to transform into a farking production floor.
"Robatoy" wrote
For some damned reason the atelier/studio concept always seems to transform into a farking production floor. *************************
Don't think of yourself as a failed artist.
Just a failed industrialist.
Robatoy wrote:

I think a conversation with Tom Plamann would probably be depressingly productive...
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar