The Four-Fold Noble Truths Of WoodDorking

Page 1 of 2
1.    If you use the right blade and set your saw up the right way, you don't need a jointer to create glue-line joints.
2.    All whitewoods can be stained to look like cherry.
3.    Sanding looks as good as planing, if it's done properly.
4.    Poly holds up better than anything else in exterior applications.

Hmm.... basically good sentiments, but it might be better following the form you named it after- try this:
There is WoodDorking. WoodDorking should be understood. WoodDorking has been understood.
There is the origin of WoodDorking. WoodDorking is caused by the desire to make sawdust. Sawdust should be produced. Sawdust has been produced. (*note- neanders should substitute "shavings" for sawdust :P)
There are tools which create sawdust. Tools should be purchased. Tools have been purchased.
There is the eight-fold path to WoodDorking, in the pursuit of creating sawdust. This path should be developed. This path has been developed.
The eight-fold path of WoodDorking:
Right Projects Right Planning Right Joinery Right Tooling Right Shaping Right Technique Right Preparation Right Finish
Then you've got all the room for tips and tricks you like in the sub-categories and commentary!

Just as a horrified spectator, I'd like to see you stain white oak and make it look like cherry. You'd be sort of like those biologists who grew a human ear on a mouse.
http://tlc.discovery.com/convergence/superhuman/photo/zoom_03.html

oak ain't a whitewood

Grrrr!!!!
They didn't "grow an ear on a mouse". They moulded an ear with a new cartilage-forming technique. Then they stored it on an immunosuppressed mouse whilst they grew some more skin over it.
Describing this in terms of, "Dr Frankenstein, the mice are sprouting ears !" is like claiming that you can turn white deal into cabinetry timber by slapping it with a coat of something wood-coloured.
--
Smert' spamionam

On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 00:59:42 +0100, Andy Dingley

It's more of an economic remedy, than an aesthetic one.
It is a useful cure for those who have cherry taste and a beer budget.
calmly ranted:

I believe you misspelled "no taste" there, Tawm. ;)
--
"Given the low level of competence among politicians,
every American should become a Libertarian."

Larry:
Take a look at the message I just posted that begins, "Which Is Witch..."
Regards, Tom.

Most of those people wouldn't know cherry unless it was sat on a cocktail stick with an umbrella on top.
Last week I was asked for something in the "shaker oak" style. B&Q (our Borg) have a TV advertising campaign for their ugly kitchen boxes, described as being in this "style". Now the muppets are asking for it, as if it has a couple of centuries of tradition behind it.
This weekend I'm watching the first two series of "Black Books" on DVD. It should be required therapy for anyone who has to deal with any sort of retail customer.
"You want cherry ? What colour's that ? Purpley-red sort of colour, aren't they <slap, splash>. Look, there you are - it's cherry coloured. Now push off"
On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 00:59:42 +0100, Andy Dingley

Andy:
Take a look at the message I just posted that begins, "Which Is Witch..."
Regards, Tom.

I have to admit that as far as I can tell you are holding quite well to your vow of non-politicalness postings. I guess the several rambling troll-like posting like the one above is due to some sort of withdrawal symptoms. Kinda like methadone?
Good luck, only a few days left.
Dave Hall
On 29 Oct 2004 05:53:36 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@nhsd.k2.pa.us (David Hall) wrote:

Actually it was a summary of several recent thread topics.
Of course, they were on woodworking, so you might have missed them.

Actually I saw and read them all and I noted that your summary was the antithisis (sp?) of your apparent position with respect to each of these threads as well as the opposite of what all "good" woodworkers are supposed to believe. Therefore I must assume that you were hoping to stir up a few folks or garner a few comments or just be a little ornery (i.e. a little harmless trolling). I actually like that about you. I do assume from the inferred "tone" of your response that you thought that I was somehow chastising you, but nothing could be further from the truth. I enjoyed the original post and its (inferred) intent and I was originally doubtful as to whether you could stay out of the political threads through 11-2 as you seem to enjoy them (as I do). But, take it as you like.
Dave Hall
On 29 Oct 2004 12:52:52 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@nhsd.k2.pa.us (David Hall) wrote:

All good amateur woodworkers.
Barry

Gotta disagree pretty strongly. I would say that all whitewoods can be stained to look like the cherry you get at your local furniture store, probably because said furniture is whitewood stained to look like cherry. The real deal, nicely oiled (I love Tried and True) and aged a bit, has a richness and beauty that isn't even touched by staining. Of course, even quite a bit of real cherry furniture is stained for consistent colour and to make it darker and that stuff as well is pretty close to universally horrid.
PK
On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 09:11:38 -0400, Paul Kierstead

http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/page32.htm

I sure hope you don't sell those whirligigs 'cause I might just have to get me one...
ROTFL
TWS http://tomstudwell.com/allprojects.htm

Now I will admit that that looks like the right color (and quite lovely incidentally) which most people don't even seem to get right, they seem to believe all cherry should look like it has been been in someone parlour for 100 years. However, color is not the only thing that makes it cherry; you have to have the grain too. But very nice work; I would be very happy to have it in my house (my fireplace is very boring); cherry or not it is quite lovely.
PK
On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 09:00:09 -0400, Paul Kierstead

Paul:
Take a look at the message I just posted that starts, "Which Is Witch..."
Regards, Tom.

I particularly like the whirlygig!
(The mantel ain't bad, either.)
Patriarch