the first power tool

Page 7 of 8

Thanks for telling me. <plonk>
On Sat, 15 Aug 2015 07:32:02 -0400, Keith Nuttle wrote:

I thought pit saws were used for ripping, as in this drawing:
http://www.wooden-box-maker.com/images/pit-saw.jpg
On 8/15/2015 3:32 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:

I forget which water mill it is in Indiana, (We visited most) but that reciprocating saw was used for ripping logs in to useable planks.
I do not know when the circular saw was first used for cross grain cutting. ie in a construction type of environment.
On 08/15/2015 3:32 PM, Keith Nuttle wrote:

I don't know but expect at the same time or very shortly after the were adapted to cut to length...folks didn't generally wait around back then for somebody else to come up with a modification; _somebody_ at a mill somewhere did it long before the electric motor and the Skilsaw like portable tool.

I'd agree. Steam powered saw mills I've seen from the 1890's (sample size of 2) have two blades, a large one for ripping, and a smaller one mounted on a swinging arm crosswise to the carriage, to cut boards to length.
The swinging arm allowed the blade to move, which otherwise would be difficult with a belt drive.
I'd guess someone figured that arrangement out very soon after they figured out how to spin the ripping blade.
John
On Sat, 15 Aug 2015 07:32:02 -0400

i had it wrong as others pointed out the mill powered by water seems to be pretty old
now i wonder when wind mills were devised though
On 08/14/2015 7:28 PM, Electric Comet wrote:

Well, that's pretty limiting definition in terms of historical precedence but water was certainly around quite early as a power source.

On 08/15/2015 8:59 AM, dpb wrote:

The Chinese and Romans had waterwheel-powered trip mills for as early as 1st century AD and some say even earlier.
The Roman Hierapolis sawmill cut stone block dating back to 3rc century AD incorporated a crank and connecting rod for reciprocating motion; the first known instance although undoubtedly somebody had the idea even earlier it's the first documented location of an operational facility. As for specific woodworking I don't know what was the first we have record of but I'm sure it's quite old.

I think the trick here is going to be defining what's a tool more than what's power, but certainly you're right that water powered mills for grinding grains have been around for a very long time.
As another contender, I'll offer the spring-pole lathe, altho that's arguably animal (human) powered.
John
On Sat, 15 Aug 2015 14:43:22 +0000 (UTC)

but i wonder what the first powered lathe was powered by water or wind or steam or did it just make the jump from spring pole to electric
On 8/17/2015 2:56 PM, Electric Comet wrote:

There were many woodworking shops located near rivers, streams. Most all the equipment was run by belts driven by a water wheel.
I would feel confident in saying that those shops existed before electricity was introduced.
Googled, and found this. Look at the second picture.
https://www.google.com/search?q=water+driven+woodworking+shop&rlz 1CHUE_enUS575US575&espv=2&biw36&bihx3&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved C0QsARqFQoTCMT20OP3sMcCFccqiAodtqoAtw&dpr=1.25
On 8/17/2015 3:20 PM, Leon wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?vm_V5smCaOw

I'd agree with you that water powered (and horse powered) lathes came before steam powered (and all of them well before electric lathes).
It's probably worth noting, tho, that demand for lathes to make anything other that light stuff like chair spindles was pretty minimal prior to the invention of the steam engine and consequent Industrial Age, so water powered lathes would not have been very common.
John

I suspect Sir Flinders Petrie would take issue with your assessment of minimal demand for lathes prior to the steam engine. ;-) (last paragraph) http://pages.citebite.com/t4j5r8v0j0umi https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flinders_Petrie
Perhaps the circular saw dates back much, MUCH further than has been discussed thus far? Exhibit 5: http://pages.citebite.com/u4c5p8n0e1eqg
http://pages.citebite.com/l4d5t7o9i9rjh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yxe1NwAazjY

On 8/17/2015 6:13 PM, Spalted Walt wrote: Snip

Don't say that too loudly. Did you find a patent? LOL
On Sat, 15 Aug 2015 08:59:07 -0500

now which was first water or wind power i would guess water but it is only a guess

Pretty sure water predates wind as a power source for milling grain and stuff (the Greeks and Romans had water mills), but purely as a power source you'd have to count sails on boats, I think, and those go back to the ancient Egyptians if not even further back.
John
On Fri, 14 Aug 2015 17:28:49 -0700, Electric Comet

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tabitha_Babbitt
says...

She's associated with the circular saw, not the first power tool.

History Of Power Tools - A History Documentary Film 45 minutes

https://www.youtube.com/embed/aqsM_6UQq68

HTH