the first power tool

Page 3 of 8
On 08/16/2015 8:45 AM, Unquestionably Confused wrote: ...

We all know those were done by ET and his cohorts...

On 8/16/2015 9:53 AM, dpb wrote:

power. I would be willing to guess that the term power tool was not used until after electricity was introduced. The electrical companies sell power, power tool.
On 8/15/2015 8:25 AM, J. Clarke wrote:

between the diameter of the water wheel and the saw diameter, it would turn relatively slow. The gears would be used to increase the speed of the saw blade.
says...

What part of "belt drive" are you having trouble with?
On Sat, 15 Aug 2015 13:20:05 -0400, Keith Nuttle

A big pulley on the shaft of the wheel and a small pully on the shaft of the saw, with a flat belt, can run the saw much faster than the wheel with no gears, and higher efficiency.
On 8/15/2015 6:32 AM, Keith Nuttle wrote:

Yes, a "woman" invented the circular saw blade to solve the ills of the straight blade saw.
On 8/15/2015 12:08 PM, Leon wrote:

or told every one she did. Per the article it have been invented else where, but first publicized Tabitha ;-)
On 8/15/2015 12:14 PM, knuttle wrote:

She invented the "blade design". But regardless what does location have to do with whether it was a man or woman that came up with the idea? ;~)
@swbelldotnet says...

I don't know why you put "woman" in quotes. Are you suggesting she was a man in drag or something? However whether she invented it is debatable--there are earlier references to circular saws, including some that mention them in passing on patent applications, suggesting that they were either well established at the time of the application or not deemed sufficiently interesting to be worth patenting on their own.
On 8/15/2015 12:16 PM, J. Clarke wrote:

Is there something "you" want to share with us? Are you suggesting that you are a man in drag or visa versa?
I was simply pointing out the recognition of a woman's contribution.
@swbelldotnet says...

In that case you should have used _underlining_ or *bold*.
On 8/15/2015 7:32 AM, Keith Nuttle wrote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tabitha_Babbitt Circular saw was invented by a woman and used water power. 1813.

A common claim, but not true. The Royal Navy had circular saws in the Portsmouth dockyards in the 1790s and contemporary texts don't describe them as a new invention. The Portsmouth dockyard had numerous tools powered by steam engine and belting by 1802, some of which have been preserved.
The actual inventor of the circular saw seems to be lost to time.
John
On 8/15/2015 2:30 PM, John McCoy wrote:

blade design. I'm clueless who invented the circular saw.

Well, I'll admit to being confused how you could have a circular saw without a circular blade...
John
On 8/15/2015 6:42 PM, John McCoy wrote:

I'm sure the machine to run the blade came a touch later. But for sure there was no circular saw before there was a circular blade. ;~)

Well, with apologies to Unquestionably Confused, it seems evident that circular saws existed long before Ms Babbitt. Ergo, since the blade must have existed before the saw by your own admission, Ms Babbitt did not invent either the saw or the blade.
John

Your explanation is pretty much spot on acording to the History Channel and Wood Magazine's Bill Krier. "Her idea was adopted by shaker woodworkers"
(fast-forwarded for your convenience)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqsM_6UQq68&vq=medium#t24

Spot on, but wrong. Tabitha Babbitt did not invent the circular saw, and did not invent the circular saw blade. It's a good story, but there's plenty of reference to circular saws long before Babbitt and the Shakers.
John