The famous disappearing glue trick

In my ongoing effort to ask every basic woodworking question possible, I submit the following puzzler:

I glued up another bookcase last night. Again it was 5 shelves in dadoes, made of ply that I had prefinished with the mating parts masked off. I glued up the unit face down on a work surface whose strategic areas were covered with shiny packing tape.

I had discovered on the previous unit that I could easily remove the squeeze-out that collected in the corners where the shelves, uprights and work surface meet the next morning, so I didn't bother with those areas last night. Several such corners had healthy amounts of glue that collected there due to pressure and gravity.

Upon checking the progress this morning, those glue blobs were gone. Did they wick back into the plywood edges somehow? I removed the clamps and lifted the unit up, putting it on its side with the front of the unit facing me. These "front" edges were the ones that were previously laying on the work surface. Sure enough, there were a couple of places where I had to scrape off glue that had squeezed out of the joints, but those corner blobs were nowhere to be found.

Reply to
Greg Guarino

Gramp's shop