The End of Woodworking?

Page 1 of 2
Speaking of the philosophy involved in moving humanity into space: Furniture will be a largely obsolete concept. Take for example the dresser my mom bought for me when I was a kid. I still have it, and by the standards of its era, it's an admirable household fixture. It is a massive construction of maple wood, expertly joined with cunningly fit pieces, fitted and glued with the strength of iron. It is set with massive brass fixtures, and looks today -- discounting the dust -- as new as the day it was purchased, a quarter century ago. So far, so good; a fine piece of furniture, you might say. But let's look at it objectively, as a machine, as an object with a purpose. Here sit a hundred pounds of hardwood with a compressive strength of 1500 psi, jointed by an expert craftsman into a rigid box that would easily support a bull elephant. And what is the sole purpose of this massive crate, this monument to a dead tree? -- it holds my socks. Not only is it blind engineering overkill of epic proportions, it is also an environmental disaster. The home to generations of squirrels, a sentinel post for falcons, an autumnal banner of golden glory, a living creature, was chopped down to enshrine some underwear. This, my friends, is no way to run a planet. -- Marshall T. Savage, from The Millennial Project: Colonizing the Galaxy -- In Eight Easy Steps
Doug in western NC
and what do you have to say about pieces of art... ?
Bob S.

| | This, my friends, is no way to run a planet.
Do you have any idea what's required to get a pound of aluminum? Eight ounces of plastic? Give thanks for a planet that provides a strong, workable, fully renewable material that also happens to look really gorgeous wrapped around your underwear.
--Jay
snipped-for-privacy@clavius.org says...

Given the rant spewing from the upper orifice, it probably also looks a darn sight prettier than his underwear also.
Think about a stone bridge crossing a creek in the woods. Now think about what might live under such a heavy structure.
You guessed it.......... a TROLL!!!!!!!!

Shhh Rob! If you scare off the troll then Norm Nowrecki won't come back! :)
Rob
http://www.amateurtermite.com
You have a dresser that only weighs 100 lbs????? I built one 23 years ago and it weighs 200 lbs with out the drawers.
but weren't you the one who said you used to overbuild everything? :)
(see "well seasoned red oak...")
dave
Leon wrote:

Good Lord i hope i can create such a legacy.

says...

Hopefully you will bestow it upon someone a bit more intelligent and appreciative.

Where would you like to put your underwear? Any type of container comes from a resource on the planet, so unless you live like the animals and dispense with your clothing, something will have to do. At least trees are replaceable.
On 2-Dec-2003, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Larry Bud) wrote:

Environmentally speaking, using wood for furniture can be considered a good thing. First we'll assume it's responsibly harvested, The resultant locking up of all that carbon in a permanent piece of furniture is a kind of sequestration - otherwise, the CO2 is returned to the atmosphere.
Simiarly, if SWMBO complains about the amount of wood stacked up in the basement/garage/whatever, just point out the benefits of carbon sequestration and greenhouse gas reduction. :-)
Mike
If you look at it that way wood working has been obsolete for several years. It is labor intensive, inefficient, and cost inefficient. Factory runs of items such as furniture can be done much more efficiently using plastic and composite materials then can be done using real wood. It has no redeeming qualities except it allows for the soul of man to be expressed in tune with nature in a way that no factory made plastic junk will ever equal. When we ventured into the last frontier we took items of wood that were made for their beauty not only their usefulness, when we go into space we will take items of wood for their beauty not only their usefulness. Of what value would the conquest of space be if we left our souls behind. Woodwork fulfills our need to express ourselves in a way that no other art form does. When the work of Jesus was chosen it was not a random profession but the one that expressed our need to become one with God or nature if you prefer. The hewer of wood is always the humblest of professions, but the one that all great minds resort to get back in touch with their souls. Obsolete maybe but one that will live as long as men need to be men and not machines. IMHO

objectively, as a machine, as an object with a purpose. Here sit a

"Sweet Sawdust" wrote in message

years.
and
Agree, however and thus far, some things must be made of wood to be pleasing to one or more senses. Hollow body musical instruments of plastic/composite hold no candle to real wood, despite the attempts with models like the Ovation guitar.

with
That's one hell of an exception.
Good post!
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/21/03
Sweet Sawdust wrote:

When I made my 2 year old a rocking horse (from plans from Woodsmith magazine), it took me 4 months worth of Saturdays, probably 60 hours, total. I could have easily bought a horse from a good shop nearby, but to give this to my daughter was special. To hear her tell her friends, "my day made this horse for me" is priceless. Those who don't understand this can't be convinced, any more than some who hates to cook can be convinced that there's a joy that comes with the process of cooking a good meal from scratch. Those who work with wood, or have an appreciation for the process certainly understand your note above and agree whole heartedly.....

Good God man, I'm gonna barf. The first post I click on after a week away from the group is this? WTF?
snipped-for-privacy@earthlinknospam.net says...

Hey! At least he didn't complain that those generations of squirrels were killing the tree's unborn children :-).
Oh, I forgot. Other animals are allowed to kill things.
--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?

snipped-for-privacy@earthlinknospam.net says...

Yeah, it's sad when members of the Sierra club slip their leashes. ;-)
Doug laments: The home to generations of squirrels, a

I'm sure the squirrels apreciate your efforts. Roger Poplin dba snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Of course, if it wasn't chopped down and converted into a piece of furniture that, by his own account, is likely to be around for hundreds of years, then it just would have fallen over & rotted eventually. Either way the squirrels don't get to keep it.
John