The End of Woodworking?

Speaking of the philosophy involved in moving humanity into space: Furniture will be a largely obsolete concept. Take for example the dresser my mom bought for me when I was a kid. I still have it, and by the standards of its era, it's an admirable household fixture. It is a massive construction of maple wood, expertly joined with cunningly fit pieces, fitted and glued with the strength of iron. It is set with massive brass fixtures, and looks today -- discounting the dust -- as new as the day it was purchased, a quarter century ago. So far, so good; a fine piece of furniture, you might say. But let's look at it objectively, as a machine, as an object with a purpose. Here sit a hundred pounds of hardwood with a compressive strength of 1500 psi, jointed by an expert craftsman into a rigid box that would easily support a bull elephant. And what is the sole purpose of this massive crate, this monument to a dead tree? -- it holds my socks. Not only is it blind engineering overkill of epic proportions, it is also an environmental disaster. The home to generations of squirrels, a sentinel post for falcons, an autumnal banner of golden glory, a living creature, was chopped down to enshrine some underwear. This, my friends, is no way to run a planet. -- Marshall T. Savage, from The Millennial Project: Colonizing the Galaxy -- In Eight Easy Steps

Doug in western NC

Reply to
Doug Siddens

and what do you have to say about pieces of art... ?

Bob S.

Reply to
Bob S.

Do you have any idea what's required to get a pound of aluminum? Eight ounces of plastic? Give thanks for a planet that provides a strong, workable, fully renewable material that also happens to look really gorgeous wrapped around your underwear.

--Jay

Reply to
Jay Windley

Think about a stone bridge crossing a creek in the woods. Now think about what might live under such a heavy structure.

You guessed it.......... a TROLL!!!!!!!!

Reply to
Rob

You have a dresser that only weighs 100 lbs????? I built one 23 years ago and it weighs 200 lbs with out the drawers.

Reply to
Leon

Reply to
shorty

Shhh Rob! If you scare off the troll then Norm Nowrecki won't come back! :)

Rob

Rob Walters

Given the rant spewing from the upper orifice, it probably also looks a darn sight prettier than his underwear also.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

but weren't you the one who said you used to overbuild everything? :)

(see "well seasoned red oak...")

dave

Le> You have a dresser that only weighs 100 lbs????? I built one 23 years ago

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Hopefully you will bestow it upon someone a bit more intelligent and appreciative.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Where would you like to put your underwear? Any type of container comes from a resource on the planet, so unless you live like the animals and dispense with your clothing, something will have to do. At least trees are replaceable.

Reply to
Larry Bud

objectively, as a machine, as an object with a purpose. Here sit a

Reply to
Sweet Sawdust

Agree, however and thus far, some things must be made of wood to be pleasing to one or more senses. Hollow body musical instruments of plastic/composite hold no candle to real wood, despite the attempts with models like the Ovation guitar.

That's one hell of an exception.

Good post!

Reply to
Swingman

Good God man, I'm gonna barf. The first post I click on after a week away from the group is this? WTF?

Reply to
Frank Ketchum

Hey! At least he didn't complain that those generations of squirrels were killing the tree's unborn children :-).

Oh, I forgot. Other animals are allowed to kill things.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Environmentally speaking, using wood for furniture can be considered a good thing. First we'll assume it's responsibly harvested, The resultant locking up of all that carbon in a permanent piece of furniture is a kind of sequestration - otherwise, the CO2 is returned to the atmosphere.

Simiarly, if SWMBO complains about the amount of wood stacked up in the basement/garage/whatever, just point out the benefits of carbon sequestration and greenhouse gas reduction. :-)

Mike

Reply to
Michael Daly

Doug laments: The home to generations of squirrels, a

I'm sure the squirrels apreciate your efforts. Roger Poplin dba snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Reply to
RKP51X

Yeah, it's sad when members of the Sierra club slip their leashes. ;-)

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

When I made my 2 year old a rocking horse (from plans from Woodsmith magazine), it took me 4 months worth of Saturdays, probably 60 hours, total. I could have easily bought a horse from a good shop nearby, but to give this to my daughter was special. To hear her tell her friends, "my day made this horse for me" is priceless. Those who don't understand this can't be convinced, any more than some who hates to cook can be convinced that there's a joy that comes with the process of cooking a good meal from scratch. Those who work with wood, or have an appreciation for the process certainly understand your note above and agree whole heartedly.....

Reply to
JoeTaxpayer

Doug Siddens wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Of course, if it wasn't chopped down and converted into a piece of furniture that, by his own account, is likely to be around for hundreds of years, then it just would have fallen over & rotted eventually. Either way the squirrels don't get to keep it.

John

Reply to
John McCoy