The end of the spalted board

After 3 years of hosting and maintaining The Spalted Board I am sad to say that in 10/14/2005 it will cease to exist. It has been a good project and a log of great material has been posted. Unfortunately, things change. I no longer have the need for the server and to keep personal costs down, I am going to be taking it off line. I also no longer have the time to maintain the site or the server that it is on.

I want to take this time ti thank all of the participants and members. You have been great. It was the content that you submitted that made this site good for everyone.

Thank you all, Brian

Reply to
Brian Blazer

would you consider publishing the articles somewhere, perhaps as a CDrom?

alternately, they could be entered into the google groups archive.

it'd be a shame to see it all lost.

Reply to
bridger

Either of those suggestions are things I am not familiar with doing. I would be happy to look at them, however. I too think it would be a shame to lose it all.

Reply to
Brian Blazer

Perhaps I can be of assistance. If you wish, you can contact me at: david (at) allsizemores (dot) (com).

The first thought would be to place it on a CD or DVD, preserving the html to allow it to be "browseable" just as it exists today.

At a minimum, you could sell it for the cost of the media+postage, once the disk format is set, the time investment would be negligible

dave sizemore

Reply to
David Sizemore

On 10/10/2005 3:15 PM Brian Blazer mumbled something about the following:

Would you be willing to let someone else take it over? I have my own hosting server.

Reply to
Odinn

Reply to
Pat Barber

publishing them would take some effort, in the form of editing and production. once that was done it would be marketable, and likely someone like Taunton Press might be interested in carrying it. essentially they would be selling a CDrom and you would see a percentage of the proceeds.

entering it into the google archives would be simpler. you'd need someone to write you a script that took each article and posted it to rec.woodworking. the pictures would still be lost though.

Reply to
bridger

Thanks Brian. I enjoyed participating on your board. Best wishes.

Neil

Reply to
toolguy